POLITICS SCHMALITICS

romad1

2 hours ago, oblong said:

Trump was certainly the catalyst.  I once looked through the old site's threads to see if I could find anything but I think it was just gradual.  I do think I was prepared to vote for Rubio or Kasich, or anyone else with the exception of Cruz maybe.  I voted for Romney and wanted him to win.

Once I saw the GOP go all in on Trump I realized it was bullshit.  A lot of people will never admit they were wrong.

I remember Obama couldn't get to 1st base with you after his inept special olympics attempt at humor so any drift wasn't helped there!

23 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Very true, which is why if you're extremely upset about it now, I hope you were extremely upset about it before, just as if you don't think it's a big deal now, you shouldn't have thought it was a big deal before.

I don't really think it's a crisis.... I love me some twitter but I'm warming up on Post and/or Mastodon these days so capitalism

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I remember Obama couldn't get to 1st base with you after his inept special olympics attempt at humor so any drift wasn't helped there!

That’s right. I forgot about that until Trump had his moment with the reporter. Someone asked me about that as a comparison.  I don’t know if I said this at the time but he apologized.  When you apologize then it should be accepted and you move on. That is how adults do it. Not sure I was that generous back then. I was probably just being political. But one thing I won’t budge on was his NASA cuts.  There’s enough room in our budgets to have kept flying or at least prepare to. He just shut it down. 

27 minutes ago, oblong said:

That’s right. I forgot about that until Trump had his moment with the reporter. Someone asked me about that as a comparison.  I don’t know if I said this at the time but he apologized.  When you apologize then it should be accepted and you move on. That is how adults do it. Not sure I was that generous back then. I was probably just being political. But one thing I won’t budge on was his NASA cuts.  There’s enough room in our budgets to have kept flying or at least prepare to. He just shut it down. 

The Artemis missions appear to show that Biden likes and values space efforts 

1 hour ago, oblong said:

You weren't that generous back then but it was justifiable.

1 hour ago, oblong said:

Obama's legacy will the 2 big things: The first Black Pres and the nomalization of health care as part of the social contract. Those are two pretty huge things and history should never underestimate them and how much those two things limited the rest of his scope of action.

But he did have plenty of faults as well - he was naive, or at least lacked sufficient depth of perspective on many foreign policy issues, ignored the health of his political party, was too conventional, even conservative in his economics - leading to the red party getting the best  of him on too many economic issues. Still, he was one of few presidents to actually move the country on a major policy issue, and for that he can be forgiven a lot. And maybe, hopely, in the end the country ends up better for having to look in the mirror over the backlash his presidency unleashed.

Edited by gehringer_2

45 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Obama's legacy will the 2 big things: The first Black Pres and the nomalization of health care as part of the social contract. Those are two pretty huge things and history should never underestimate them and how much those two things limited the rest of his scope of action.

But he did have plenty of faults as well - he was naive, or at least lacked sufficient depth of perspective on many foreign policy issues, ignored the health of his political party, was too conventional, even conservative in his economics - leading to the red party getting the best  of him on too many economic issues. Still, he was one of few presidents to actually move the country on a major policy issue, and for that he can be forgiven a lot. And maybe, hopely, in the end the country ends up better for having to look in the mirror over the backlash his presidency unleashed.

He did say he wanted to be transformative in a way that Reagan was and Clinton wasn’t. Bill and Hillary tried to go after him on that in the primary as saying he was endorsing the Reagan agenda.  He wasn’t. He was acknowledging its impact.  

I think he succeeded in that for the reasons you stayed.  Roberts recognized that when he voted to uphold obamacare.  

The Whitmer kidnappers are going to jail for a very long time.  

Good. 

When you look at them, they are right out of central casting.  Before I ever saw a picture of any of them I already knew what they looked like and I was spot-on.  

One of the daughters "oh, they weren't going to hurt her". 

Yeah, sure.   

I didn't like John Engler..........In fact I HATED John Engler and I did something about it too, I voted against him twice.    (He really proved was a prick he was at Michigan State, didn't he?)

16 hours ago, ewsieg said:

Very true, which is why if you're extremely upset about it now, I hope you were extremely upset about it before, just as if you don't think it's a big deal now, you shouldn't have thought it was a big deal before.

I forget—who are some of the top conservative journalists who got banned by Twitter?

17 hours ago, pfife said:

I don't really think it's a crisis.... I love me some twitter but I'm warming up on Post and/or Mastodon these days so capitalism

But really, it is true that it's Elon's company and he's free to do what he wants.

But despite the complaints of his cult, the rest of us are free to criticize. Advertisers are free to reevaluate their relationship. And "content creators" are free to head off to other platforms.

That's capitalism, baby. You make decisions and have to reap the wind 

• Like 1

If I didn't know that Musk had bought Twitter, I wouldn't have noticed any difference in Twitter.  It's still mostly sports and primarily baseball on my timeline.  The trending topics seem to be more right wing now, but trending topics have never been worth reading anyway.  Musk says a lot of stupid and immature things for someone who is supposed to be a genius and it makes me question how smart he really is.  But none of that affects my Twitter experience.   It's his company, so he ban who he wants to ban even if it makes him a hypocrite.  

On 12/16/2022 at 4:44 PM, oblong said:

What Obama said was incredibly stupid and I was disappointed in him at the time.  He apologized and never made any kind of comment like that again.  We all know if Trump or one of the MAGA leaders said the same thing, they would have either doubled down or claimed that they didn't really say it and would have said something even worse two days layer.  

Edited by Tiger337

On 12/17/2022 at 8:44 AM, chasfh said:

I forget—who are some of the top conservative journalists who got banned by Twitter?

Safe to assume with this response you've completely bought into the idea that Taibbi and Weiss are right wing fanatics and therefore you should ignore everything they say.

Also safe to assume you think the lab leak theory is equivalent to a conspiracy theory?

• Confused 1

36 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Safe to assume with this response you've completely bought into the idea that Taibbi and Weiss are right wing fanatics and therefore you should ignore everything they say.

Also safe to assume you think the lab leak theory is equivalent to a conspiracy theory?

And note, I'm not defending Musk here.  He is proving to be the "Trump of twitter" in my eyes.  To explain further, when Trump won, despite not supporting him, I figured 'well, he's right they are all crooks, maybe we can see something positive out of this'.  I initially hoped the same with Musk.  Initially, just like with Trump, I thought some of the criticism was too much, but this latest thing...apparently regarding @elonjet, has gone to far.  Mark Cuban had some legitimate complaints that called out Musk and fell in line with my thinking regarding this debacle.

But my overall point is, certain thoughts, even if folks that didn't get banned over them, their tweets were essentially banned, without any public acknowledgement.  I personally feel that is an issue, just as these full out bans of some of these journalists are issues as well.

He's got a poll up there asking Twitter users  "Should I step down" and the result, with 17 million votes is 57% yes, 42% no.   Bigger margin than Big Gretch's win.       Betcha he changes the poll to add a couple more questions to water down that Yes answer.      He did that last week........put up a poll........didn't like the result and changed the poll.     Had a radio GM do that with a music test..........music he didn't like scored high so he did another test without those songs..........the station got really shitty ratings after that. 

7 hours ago, ewsieg said:

And note, I'm not defending Musk here.  He is proving to be the "Trump of twitter" in my eyes.  To explain further, when Trump won, despite not supporting him, I figured 'well, he's right they are all crooks, maybe we can see something positive out of this'.  I initially hoped the same with Musk.  Initially, just like with Trump, I thought some of the criticism was too much, but this latest thing...apparently regarding @elonjet, has gone to far.  Mark Cuban had some legitimate complaints that called out Musk and fell in line with my thinking regarding this debacle.

But my overall point is, certain thoughts, even if folks that didn't get banned over them, their tweets were essentially banned, without any public acknowledgement.  I personally feel that is an issue, just as these full out bans of some of these journalists are issues as well.

the tweets that were "banned" referred to Hunter Biden's penis.  

Apples and some Oranges.

Musk isn't committing any crimes and nobody has alleged that.  It's an issue of consistency in how he chooses to run his business.  He can do what he wants, that's his right.  It's his.  But people can call him a hypocrite, which is what they are doing.

I've been asking all over... who was unjustly banned according to the right wingers?  

Last night Musk referred to Twitter as a publisher in his defense of banning links to other platforms.  That's a big deal legally and I'm sure he'll back away from that.