POLITICS SCHMALITICS

romad1

31 minutes ago, oblong said:

Obviously Musk can do what he wants. Not a free speech or first amendment issue. But in their world when people on the right got banned… well it’s certainly hypocritical. 

is this a crime or should congress get involved?  No.   But he’s making his site less attractive for visitors so now is that helping him?  I don’t see it  

Not a crime.   He's destroying it all on his own just fine.............just let him. 

4 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Not a crime.   He's destroying it all on his own just fine.............just let him. 

Aren't there some consent decress attached to Twitters conduct?

Given his increasingly illogical behavior, the other possibiliby that I suppose has to be broached is that Twitter, now being both private, which means much less financial disclosure, and under serious financial pressure, that you have exactly the kind of situation that the Russians might have decided to drop a few billion into in order buy some Western social chaos. 

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

Given his increasingly illogical behavior, the other possibiliby that I suppose has to be broached is that Twitter, now being both private, which means much less financial disclosure, and under serious financial pressure, that you have exactly the kind of situation that the Russians might have decided to drop a few billion into in order buy some Western social chaos. 

I don't know and I don't care.   Twitter is a cesspool just like Tik Tok and Instagram.............you see the way people act in society now..........social media is a big reason why.      I think a major story is about to break about him, and it's bad and these are preemptive strikes against those who will report on it.  Like it's going to stop anything from getting out.  We need to stop relying on it for news anyway.      It's like Dave Brandon sending out the Shane Morris concussion memo at 1am........ooh, real sneaky, Dave.    As mentioned here, it's just a right-wing echo chamber now.   Let them all eat each other.  I never needed it and I never will.  

9 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Ukraine is effectively blacked out on Twitter now.

22 minutes ago, chasfh said:

No doubt.

They're highlighting some right wing "news" website called Frontpage.

I used to read that. David Horowitz ran it. Then it got too crazy, even for me at the time when I was more right wing.  This was years before Trump and the Tea Party.

13 minutes ago, oblong said:

I used to read that. David Horowitz ran it. Then it got too crazy, even for me at the time when I was more right wing.  This was years before Trump and the Tea Party.

Why do you think you changed your views on things when maybe, I don't know, 90% or so who thought and felt was you once did never do? What was the catalyst, do you think? Apologies if you've replayed that here before and I missed it.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Why do you think you changed your views on things when maybe, I don't know, 90% or so who thought and felt was you once did never do? What was the catalyst, do you think? Apologies if you've replayed that here before and I missed it.

Trump was certainly the catalyst.  I once looked through the old site's threads to see if I could find anything but I think it was just gradual.  I do think I was prepared to vote for Rubio or Kasich, or anyone else with the exception of Cruz maybe.  I voted for Romney and wanted him to win.

Once I saw the GOP go all in on Trump I realized it was bullshit.  A lot of people will never admit they were wrong.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, oblong said:

Trump was certainly the catalyst.  I once looked through the old site's threads to see if I could find anything but I think it was just gradual.  I do think I was prepared to vote for Rubio or Kasich, or anyone else with the exception of Cruz maybe.  I voted for Romney and wanted him to win.

Once I saw the GOP go all in on Trump I realized it was bullshit.  A lot of people will never admit they were wrong.

Tracking nearly 100% 

I think the danger I feel now is that I'm so angry with my former side that I am overlooking shenanigans on the D side.  But OTOH, their transgressions do not even get close to what is being perpetrated by the Rs at this point.   

8 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Tracking nearly 100% 

I think the danger I feel now is that I'm so angry with my former side that I am overlooking shenanigans on the D side.  But OTOH, their transgressions do not even get close to what is being perpetrated by the Rs at this point.   

I know what you mean.  it's why I still follow certain right leaners who aren't in the cult, someone like a Jay Caruso.  They will still go after the D's.  But I honestly do not know if I will ever vote for a Republican in this generation.  The ones I'd consider won't get a nomination above a local seat, when party is irrelevant, so it's moot.

But it's also led me to look back at things like the Iraq war and realize it probably wasn't on the level as to why we went in.  I'm not going so far as to say it was a conspiracy for $$ or oil or whatever... just that certain people wanted it done so it happened.  I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that it was a matter of revenge and removing a bad guy when they had a chance. There were no wizards behind the curtain with other motives. 

10 minutes ago, oblong said:

I know what you mean.  it's why I still follow certain right leaners who aren't in the cult, someone like a Jay Caruso.  They will still go after the D's.  But I honestly do not know if I will ever vote for a Republican in this generation.  The ones I'd consider won't get a nomination above a local seat, when party is irrelevant, so it's moot.

But it's also led me to look back at things like the Iraq war and realize it probably wasn't on the level as to why we went in.  I'm not going so far as to say it was a conspiracy for $$ or oil or whatever... just that certain people wanted it done so it happened.  I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that it was a matter of revenge and removing a bad guy when they had a chance. There were no wizards behind the curtain with other motives. 

Mostly concur.  I think there were wizards sowing all this 2015-now discord ---though the soil was certainly ripe for it.

4 hours ago, oblong said:

I believe two factor authentication is dead on twitter.  Musk killed the group that maintained it.

I have a friend who logged out and cannot get back in due to 2FA not sending over a code.

part of the FTC consent decree was to allow two factor authentication without providing phone number; that sucks for Twitter because they cannot sell info without cell number; so I assume Elmo is trying to figure out a way get around that; he already is forcing people to share personal info (also part of consent decree) so they can send targeted (more expensive) ads; with no way of opting out; he should be hearing from FTC soon, if not already

4 hours ago, chasfh said:

This is how the other side is playing it.

This is such a weak take.  Not that logic actually matters but there's a diference between a crisis and a constitutional crisis.   They considered it a constitutional crisis, to the point where the leader of their party was advocating terminating pertinent aspects of the constitution to install himself president over it.

We consider it a crisis because we like twitter and don't want it to suck ballz

Another reason it's a weak take is that you can easily just switcheroo it:

"Conservatives got banned/suppressed/censored and it was a crisis.  Libs and journalists get banned and it's not a crisis".  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, romad1 said:

I think the danger I feel now is that I'm so angry with my former side that I am overlooking shenanigans on the D side. 

Truth  😉

2 hours ago, romad1 said:

But OTOH, their transgressions do not even get close to what is being perpetrated by the Rs at this point.   

Extremely legitimate point.

1 hour ago, pfife said:

"Conservatives got banned/suppressed/censored and it was a crisis.  Libs and journalists get banned and it's not a crisis".  

Very true, which is why if you're extremely upset about it now, I hope you were extremely upset about it before, just as if you don't think it's a big deal now, you shouldn't have thought it was a big deal before.