POLITICS SCHMALITICS

romad1

Except there’s a chance there a fascist coup over the election can succeed right now.

Brazil is not a banana republic. It’s a $2 trillion economy, the ninth-largest in the world, with a population of well over 200 million people. If they fall to fascism, it will be a big hairy deal. Fingers crossed.

key tidbit:

Analysts have suggested that the armed forces, which have been a key component of Bolsonaro’s administration, may have maintained a semblance of uncertainty over the issue to avoid displeasing the president. In a subsequent statement, the Defense Ministry stressed that while it had not found any evidence of fraud in the vote counting, it could not exclude that possibility. --https://www.pbs.org/newshour/world/bolsonaro-contests-brazil-election-results-demands-votes-be-anulled

Sounds like the Generals are waiting for Lula to sweeten the pot for them before casting their lot.

RE: FTX crime.  I don't know why anyone isn't in jail over this scam, but if there is any doubt we are not a nation of laws, here is another example;

If you are not familiar with Sorkin, he works for the NYT as well as a morning anchor on Bubblevision (CNBC). Nothing is off limits so he says.  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. That little fucking creep wouldn't know a tough question if it hit him upside the head, but that's really not the point.  The SBF guy should be in jail already, but they are going to include him (along with other celebrities) as part of this summit put on by the NYT so Sorkin can lob softballs at the creep. 

Hey Sorkin and the NYT, why don't you ask Gensler or Garland why this dick is still walking the streets instead of helping him cover up and wash away the crimes.  Nation of laws my ass.

Edited by Screwball

This is the German National Team at the World Cup in Qatar.   Not only have the European teams been told not to wear an armbands that supports gay rights, they've pretty much been told by FIFA to shut up about it and this is their response.   70 years ago Germany was just about the least tolerant country in the Western world.    Maybe one day the United States can find the way too, since we're the least tolerant now.  I hope it doesn't take over 50 years.    Italy & Ireland aren't in it, so I'll be rooting for these guys - because of this. 

Edited by Motor City Sonics
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Screwball said:

RE: FTX crime.  I don't know why anyone isn't in jail over this scam, but if there is any doubt we are not a nation of laws, here is another example;

If you are not familiar with Sorkin, he works for the NYT as well as a morning anchor on Bubblevision (CNBC). Nothing is off limits so he says.  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. That little fucking creep wouldn't know a tough question if it hit him upside the head, but that's really not the point.  The SBF guy should be in jail already, but they are going to include him (along with other celebrities) as part of this summit put on by the NYT so Sorkin can lob softballs at the creep. 

Hey Sorkin and the NYT, why don't you ask Gensler or Garland why this dick is still walking the streets instead of helping him cover up and wash away the crimes.  Nation of laws my ass.

We are a nation of laws, but they only apply to the lower classes.  The ruling class can do what they want.    

If this is grooming, I approve of it. What has MTG, Kerry Lake et all done lately?

https://www.styleweekly.com/richmond/death-drops-for-tots/Content?oid=19463505

Despite the recently intensified climate of LGBTQ harassment and hate, drag queen Melanin “Moneybag” Monroe is serving up several shows to collect canned goods and toy donations to help Richmond families through the holiday season.

It should come as no surprise that Monroe is fearless in the face of prejudice — that’s the entire reason she came into being a queen.

“When I started getting out of my internalized homophobia, out of nowhere there was Melanin jumping off of tables,” she says. “Melanin is sultry, sexy, and Black. She comes from a place of wanting to express my feminine side which is something I wasn't always able to do, so she has this extra layer of confidence.”

From the parking lot of Diversity Richmond to the dancefloor at Fallout, any drag show featuring Melanin Monroe will exude high energy, fast-paced dancing, and a “bag full of tricks.” She earned her claim to fame as one of the city’s best stunt queens thanks to her reputation for jumping off of things into a death drop, a classic drag dance move.

“I take a lot of influence from Black women of all eras, but ‘90s styles and female rappers like Lil Kim are a big inspiration,” says Monroe. “I just want to embody that fly, sexy aunty who is just trying to look good while she is out here taking care of business in these streets.”

Those of us who grew up watching Milton Berle, Flip Wilson, Corp Klinger, Tom Hanks, etc approve.

But then the Christian Right probably snuck in and out of strip clubs and massage parlors.

Edited by CMRivdogs
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

If this is grooming, I approve of it. What has MTG, Kerry Lake et all done lately?

https://www.styleweekly.com/richmond/death-drops-for-tots/Content?oid=19463505

Those of us who grew up watching Milton Berle, Flip Wilson, Corp Klinger, Tom Hanks, etc approve.

But then the Christian Right probably snuck in and out of strip clubs and massage parlors.

And I would add Bugs Bunny and all of the Pythons to your list.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

And I would add Bugs Bunny and all of the Pythons to your list.

There is an element of the RW that hates Monty Python with a passion.  Too eggheady for them.   I have actually heard one of these guys say he preferred Benny Hill.  Now that's weird.  i actually appreciated both.  Benny in The Italian Job was pretty amusing. 

9 minutes ago, romad1 said:

There is an element of the RW that hates Monty Python with a passion.  Too eggheady for them.   I have actually heard one of these guys say he preferred Benny Hill.  Now that's weird.  i actually appreciated both.  Benny in The Italian Job was pretty amusing. 

which is interesting because John Cleese in particular is against cancel culture.  Not saying he's a right winger at all but when it comes to going after comedians for jokes he's not a fan.

He discussed this on a Marc Maron WTF podcast.  He said they have Polish jokes but it's about the Irish.

He told one of a rabbi walking on the beach with his grandson.  A big wave comes in and snatches the boy away.  He gets on  his knees and pleas to God to bring his grandson back and offers up a bunch of promises.  A wave comes back and his grandson washes ashore, shaken up but ok.  Then the rabbi yells out "When he went in he had a hat on"

(think of it told in a British accent)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, romad1 said:

I'm not a Python fan. The people who quote it in falsetto British accents annoy me.

38 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

I'm not a Python fan. The people who quote it in falsetto British accents annoy me.

And, there is an element of the general population that dislikes people who overweight the essential-ness of Monty Python.  

I'm a giant fan.  I think the Holy Grail is essential viewing for children. 

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

And, there is an element of the general population that dislikes people who overweight the essential-ness of Monty Python.  

I'm a giant fan.  I think the Holy Grail is essential viewing for children. 

I agree that Holy Grail is better for kids—at least for middle and high schoolers—although Life of Brian is the best Python movie by a mile. It teaches you more about life in Judea around 0 BCE than any gospel can.

I remember a lot of years ago being in a group at a house party at Ferris State College talking about movies we loved. Life of Brian had been out maybe a couple years and I mentioned it and one of the other guys said oh yeah, he loved that movie. I started quoting lines from it like “wolf nipple chips, get ‘em while they’re hot, they’re lovely”, and he looked at me like I was nuts. He said I don’t know what you’re talking abut, but Life of Brian is the only movie that ever made me cry. Turned out he was thinking of Brian’s Song.

Edited by chasfh
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I agree that Holy Grail is better for kids—at least for middle and high schoolers— although Life of Brian is the best Python movie by a mile. It teaches you more about life in Judea around 0 BCE than any gospel can.

I remember a lot of years ago being in a group at a house party at Ferris State College talking about movies we loved. Life of Brian had been out maybe a couple years and I mentioned it and one of the other guys said oh yeah, he loved that movie. I started quoting lines from it and looked at me like I was nuts. He said I don’t know what you’re talking abut, but Life of Brian is the only movie that ever made me cry. Turned out he was thinking of Brian’s Song.

BWAH!!!!  That's amazing.  

9 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I agree that Holy Grail is better for kids—at least for middle and high schoolers— although Life of Brian is the best Python movie by a mile. It teaches you more about life in Judea around 0 BCE than any gospel can.

I remember a lot of years ago being in a group at a house party at Ferris State College talking about movies we loved. Life of Brian had been out maybe a couple years and I mentioned it and one of the other guys said oh yeah, he loved that movie. I started quoting lines from it and looked at me like I was nuts. He said I don’t know what you’re talking abut, but Life of Brian is the only movie that ever made me cry. Turned out he was thinking of Brian’s Song.

My best Monty Python memory was my siblings around Thanksgiving table discussing The Meaning of Life gluttony scene.  "its wafer thin"  My mother was SO angry at my brothers and sister for quoting those lines.   Actually was one of the things we talked about at Mum's funeral as one of those great shared experiences.  

31 minutes ago, romad1 said:

My best Monty Python memory was my siblings around Thanksgiving table discussing The Meaning of Life gluttony scene.  "its wafer thin"  My mother was SO angry at my brothers and sister for quoting those lines.   Actually was one of the things we talked about at Mum's funeral as one of those great shared experiences.  

Yes "waffer thin" gets used around here from time to time.