POLITICS SCHMALITICS

romad1

16 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

of course the current management has been no great shakes. I guess I don't follow the logic of overpaying for an asset and then immediately breaking it and very likely cratering your revenue. Effective corporate tranformation generally ends up costing money so you don't want to kill the goose at least until you've got some golden eggs banked.  🥚🥚

he did it to own the libs, didn't he?

If Musk takes TWTR to zero, good. I hope FB says, hold my beer.  But I digress...

If that dream would happen, and it won't, there would be another taking their place in the not too distant future. So it don't (sic) matter.

I give him credit (or someone working for him) for the sink thing, and then enough gonads to do it.  I respect that; but I'm just a fucking screwball myself. 🙂

I would go to work for Musk, but not a Bezos. I don't think he would bust your ass if you did your job, and besides, he's too busy trying to be Crocodile Dundee.

speaking of TikTok.... Axios pissed me off yesterday because they sort of bashed the "tiktok generation" by claiming that the new Star Wars Tales of the Jedi series was "catering to them" by having very short episodes, like 15 minutes.  Nah bro.   There's too much stuff to watch and I love it.  It's so much easier to bang out a quick one under 30 minutes rather than a 45-60 minute one.  I'm much more likely to watch.  I never used TikTok.  I'm 49. I doubt I'm the demographic.  Also I doubt that the viewers of this show are the TikTok generation anyway.

Elon Musk is a fraud and charlatan. Since 2014 he has been claiming FSD will be out in the next year and has been selling it since 2016 claiming it will be ready soon. People paid $10,000 six years ago for FSD they still do not have. He sold roadsters around 2017 for as much as $250,000 that he still hasn't delivered. The Cybertruck still doesn't exist despite Elon Musk saying it would be in production like three years ago. 

I might put Musk into a slightly different box. I think he at least starts out thinking some of his projects are doable. He spread a lot of money around US Engineering schools trying to seed development of technology for hyperloop. I don't know if a true fraudster would have made that effort-maybe an elaborate one I guess. But the other problem I see with Musk with this kind of stuff is that no-one will tell him he's the emperor with no clothes. I'm sure most of the Engineering research depts that took his money on hyperloop projects could have told him up front it was never going to work, but why do that if he's got this nice little grant for you to build a bunch of stuff, take a lot of data, support a bunch of grad students, and *then* tell him we couldn't make it work......:classic_smile:

3 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I don't get all the hate for Musk. He is one of the greatest minds of our generation. Has he had some swing and misses sure but he has made a ton of contact. 

That's the thing, he's not one of the greatest minds of our generation. It's like Trump who appeared on The Apprentice so he must be one of the greatest businessmen of our generation. 

57 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

GM sold EVs to the public before Tesla ever existed. In both GM and Tesla, government forces pushed these companies toward electric vehicles. 

but TBF, GM basically pulled the plug on the Volt once they reached the limit on the federal subsidy, they had no real commitment. Then they had to scramble to get back in the game once Ford and others started looking like they were going to move past them. Telsa lives and dies by EV, for good or bad they were/are committed. They may may failed wrt many of the things Musk personally hyped, but they have put more EVs on the road than anyone else. That part is real regardless of whatever Musk's public pronouncements have been about.

My personal guess is that Tesla will survive even once all the other multi-nationals have their product on the market, but Musk is going to be a much poorer rich man when Tesla's stock settles back to the kind of ratio where all other auto company's stocks are.

10 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

but TBF, GM basically pulled the plug on the Volt once they reached the limit on the federal subsidy, they had no real commitment. Then they had to scramble to get back in the game once Ford and others started looking like they were going to move past them. Telsa lives and dies by EV, for good or bad they were/are committed. They may may failed wrt many of the things Musk personally hyped, but they have put more EVs on the road than anyone else. That part is real regardless of whatever Musk's public pronouncements have been about.

My personal guess is that Tesla will survive even once all the other multi-nationals have their product on the market, but Musk is going to be a much poorer rich man when Tesla's stock settles back to the kind of ratio where all other auto company's stocks are.

I was actually referring to GM's EV1 which they destroyed every last one of.

Musk's grift is different than Trump's in that Musk has actually provided a tangible product but he has convinced people he's some genius and pumped his stock. It's another cult. These Musketeers will go to war for Musk.

3 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Then the U.S. gov’t decided to stop making them, now they hitch rides on his ships…..

Funny. We all walk around with more computing power in our pocket than NASA had in 1969 when our machines landed on the moon.  We didn't have computers, mice, CNC machines, robots, and the internet (as we know it today).

But we had drawing boards, pencils, rulers, and slide rules.  That's pretty wild when you think about it.

Technology is a wonderful thing.

2 hours ago, Screwball said:

Funny. We all walk around with more computing power in our pocket than NASA had in 1969 when our machines landed on the moon.  We didn't have computers, mice, CNC machines, robots, and the internet (as we know it today).

But we had drawing boards, pencils, rulers, and slide rules.  That's pretty wild when you think about it.

Technology is a wonderful thing.

One of the biggest factors in space is weight. A big piece of weight in Apollo was the computer.  Apollo 14 almost didn’t land because of a memory issue. They had to wake up the original programmer and get him in to figure out the error.  They were down to their last orbit of the moon.