POLITICS SCHMALITICS

romad1

31 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I don't really understand why many people are so concerned about musk buying Twitter.  We probably won't even notice a difference and if he does screw up the site, then people will just move onto to the next social media site.   

Well, tweets containing the N word have increased significantly in 24 hours since Musk took over.

45 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Thread

And the odds of Tesla stock regaining those previous valuations are about zero.

If he hasn't already, Musk is going to very quickly come to the conclusion that it's more imperative for twitter to make enough money to support its debt service than to indulge his philosophical preferences.

He really only has two revenue options: Advertisers or paid subscribers. Either/both will demand a higher level of content moderation than his supposed ideal.

Edited by gehringer_2

Is there really a reason for Twitter to have 4600 employees? They don’t really need any new development.   They don’t have a product to service or customers to support.   They need a large technical staff to maintain the network and provide security, an ad sales staff, and traditional legal, financial, and HR teams that you’d find in a public company.  I can see losing 75% of the staff and not missing anything.   It wouldn’t shock me one bit to see him find a way to make this work. 

42 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Is there really a reason for Twitter to have 4600 employees? They don’t really need any new development.   They don’t have a product to service or customers to support.   They need a large technical staff to maintain the network and provide security, an ad sales staff, and traditional legal, financial, and HR teams that you’d find in a public company.  I can see losing 75% of the staff and not missing anything.   It wouldn’t shock me one bit to see him find a way to make this work. 

given the size of the client base a couple of thousand in the ad sales staff doesn't seem like that much. And I'm not sure it's true they don't still need development staff; the technology both at the user end and the network end is contantly evolving so you have keep your product current for both the new consumer device tech and the evolving network evolution. You're losing ground if you stand still even if the user interface of your product remains  relatively the same. 

Maybe Twitter's org is fatty, but provocative statements by  Musk aren't any kind of evidence of whether it is or isn't.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

And the odds of Tesla stock regaining those previous valuations are about zero.

If he hasn't already, Musk is going to very quickly come to the conclusion that it's more imperative for twitter to make enough money to support its debt service than to indulge his philosophical preferences.

He really only has two revenue options: Advertisers or paid subscribers. Either/both will demand a higher level of content moderation than his supposed ideal.

There is no TSLA stock - so yea - zero.  There is nothing to regain. It is now a private company. It didn't trade on the S&P last Friday.

Funny to watch all the TSLA haters (and I don't care one way or another) think he is now screwed, because reasons.... I do think he overpaid, for the record.  But remember, now that Tesla is a private company, they don't have to report quarterly earnings, and Wall Street is out of the picture.  Which means there are no SEC filed earnings reports to hunt down problems with their numbers (that's why we love short sellers - the true gumshoes).

At the end of the day, they will make it, or they won't. But we lost transparency.

2 hours ago, Screwball said:

There is no TSLA stock - so yea - zero.  There is nothing to regain. It is now a private company. It didn't trade on the S&P last Friday.

you mean Twitter stock? But it's still Tesla stock that supposedly collateralizes his loans.

Edited by gehringer_2

According to press reports, Musk has tasked Tesla SW engineers to go in and vet existing Twitter programming. That should be an interesting exercise. Do they even use the same languages, APIs or toolboxes? I don't program for a living by any means but I still can't imagine walking in the door and reading someone else's code related to programing tasks that are not even my area of expertise and rendering any kind of intelligent assessment in less than maybe .....weeks?... 

Not to mention, what does 'evalutate their code' even mean? Code either works or it doesn't, style points are nice but the HW doesn't really care about them. It's seems all he is getting is some folks to tell him 2nd hand what they learned about what Twitter does, when he could just ask the Twitter engineers himself and probably get the better answer.

Edited by gehringer_2

Two things.

I have test drove a lot of different EV's and the Tesla software is some of the best IMO.  So a little Tesla influence on Twitter might not be the worst thing.

Tesla better be getting compensated by Twitter for this or else Musk will be facing a lawsuit from Tesla stock holders.  You can't use your engineers from your publicly traded company to work on your private company without compensation.   

Tesla's autopilot is nothing more than adaptive cruise control and lane keep assist. Musk's lies about its capabilities have killed people. GM's SuperCruise is an actual hands off the wheel autonomous driving. Something Tesla has yet to develop. GM also was first in Robotaxis on the streets. Something Tesla has been promising for years. Tesla has however added fart noises to their cars so many Twitter will get a fart noise feature.

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

Tesla better be getting compensated by Twitter for this or else Musk will be facing a lawsuit from Tesla stock holders.  You can't use your engineers from your publicly traded company to work on your private company without compensation.

Tesla stockholders are already facing a long slow slide in their stock value. Getting into a legal war with their majority holder may not be much help.