POLITICS SCHMALITICS

romad1

On 11/24/2022 at 10:54 AM, Screwball said:

RE: FTX crime.  I don't know why anyone isn't in jail over this scam, but if there is any doubt we are not a nation of laws, here is another example;

If you are not familiar with Sorkin, he works for the NYT as well as a morning anchor on Bubblevision (CNBC). Nothing is off limits so he says.  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. That little fucking creep wouldn't know a tough question if it hit him upside the head, but that's really not the point.  The SBF guy should be in jail already, but they are going to include him (along with other celebrities) as part of this summit put on by the NYT so Sorkin can lob softballs at the creep. 

Hey Sorkin and the NYT, why don't you ask Gensler or Garland why this dick is still walking the streets instead of helping him cover up and wash away the crimes.  Nation of laws my ass.

A follow up while I try not to puke.  I admit up front I didn't watch this; my blood pressure couldn't handle it. They should have perp walked this dickhead to jail, but not here.  Instead we put the SOB on TV and give him a tongue bath. This is the second Tweet I read by two people who were mainstays of Bubblevision at one time. 

On 11/30/2022 at 8:01 PM, Screwball said:

A follow up while I try not to puke.  I admit up front I didn't watch this; my blood pressure couldn't handle it. They should have perp walked this dickhead to jail, but not here.  Instead we put the SOB on TV and give him a tongue bath. This is the second Tweet I read by two people who were mainstays of Bubblevision at one time. 

The people falling for this crap is pretty amazing.

11 hours ago, Deleterious said:

The people falling for this crap is pretty amazing.

I don't think it's amazing at all. It's just a window into the corruption that goes on each and every day.  This is just another example of a coverup to hide it all.  Make the crook look like a clueless tyro, then the stenographers in the media to guide the herd to the conclusion they want.  Wash, rinse, repeat.  Why not, so many gobble it up like a Hoover.

5 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

Re Avenatti, there is a Netflix doc about the kid that sued Pepsi several years ago over a commercial. One of the secondary characters is a younger Michael Avenatti.

(Pepsi, Where's My Jet)

Yeah that doc is awesome.   It blew my mind when Avenatti showed up in the story

2 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Huh, turns out the Class I's have agency after all

I'm not sure who you mean by I's but I'm gonna go with the workers as the definition. Sure they have agency - they always have - go find a combine to harvest that straw.

I hope I'm not gonna piss Del off here, but I want to use him as an example. I've talked to him for years on this board.  He runs his own business. I'll leave it at that; other than I think he has great insight on how to do so. I think his main thesis is; if you take care of your business, and take care of (including training) the people who work for you - it becomes a gratifying and profitable endeavor for all involved.  I'm on board with that thesis.

I don't know the median age of the clientele here, but I'm guessing most of you are younger than me. Does anyone remember the labor wars back in the day?  Some of you should have parents (especially if you grew up around the auto capital of the world) who were involved in the industrialization of the North and the resulting labor wars.

Unions became a thing because workers were getting exploited to the point they got fed up and fought back - sometimes not very nicely. So did others. It got really ugly if you study the history. Nothing has really changed, except the violence.

Crooked Unions, crooked politicians, crooked companies - all against labor in aggregate because it benefited the select few  - while spending billions over the years to eliminate what was once called "collective bargaining." The top .01 percent gets richer while we get poorer.

It's a big club and we ain't in it.

49 minutes ago, Screwball said:

I'm not sure who you mean by I's....

Class I Railroads (the largest revenue generating carriers, including CSX).

Point being that, going to the debate in the other thread that (no pun intended) went off the rails, the Class I's have agency in all of this and shouldn't need the government or unions to compel them to do the right thing and give their employees benefits. Even if unions exist because companies often do not do the right thing.

Either way, the tweet suggests that public pressure may actually be having an impact

6 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Class I Railroads (the largest revenue generating carriers, including CSX).

Point being that, going to the debate in the other thread that (no pun intended) went off the rails, the Class I's have agency in all of this and shouldn't need the government or unions to compel them to do the right thing and give their employees benefits. Even if unions exist because companies often do not do the right thing.

Either way, the tweet suggests that public pressure may actually be having an impact

CSX stock is held 75% by institutional investors. Seems unlikely much pressure came from those quarters. I suppose you never know. Does Vanguard has an ethical investing ombudsman?

Edited by gehringer_2

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

CSX stock is held 75% by institutional investors. Seems unlikely much pressure came from those quarters. I suppose you never know. Does Vanguard has an ethical investing ombudsman?

https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2022-12-05/investors-press-railroads-to-add-sick-time-for-workers

This article details some pressure within NS and UP from some Investment Managers toward providing more sick time for employees. Don't know how much that pressure represents in terms of each individual railroad stock, but it at least suggests there is some dissention in the ranks.

On a different note, and didn't come around to mentioning it in the previous thread, but I do think availability of labor is a compelling reason that the companies need to add sick leave; the railroads (like a lot of industries) have an aging workforce with many approaching retirement age. The industry pays relatively well and has some good benefits compared to other industries, particularly with retirement being administered by the Railroad Retirement Board, which pays out comparatively well compared to SS.

But younger people entering the workforce (Gen-Z) aren't entirely concerned just with retirement, they want quality of life during their working years as well. Good retirement benefits don't mean as much if the quality of life to get to age 60 is hell. And with respect to the latest fight with the unions, that's an area where the PR hit kinda hurts... it's a pretty poor advertisement for kids getting out of high school or vocational school who are thinking about a career.

My twitter experience has been degraded.  I've been careful in not over reacting to some things when trying to figure that out.  But I just have noticed that I don't spend as much time there as I used to.  Maybe some people I followed have left or stopped posting.  I do think some of the reaction is overblown because twitter is what you make of it.  Follow quacks or follow people who follow quacks and don't use the block button.... then you are going to get the crap.  You can weed it out if you want.  But I think some people like the drama.  Block Musk.  Block his name.  You can make the site useful for your own needs if you desire.

I have noticed a degradation of the ads.  Doesn't bother me at all.  that's his problem.