POLITICS SCHMALITICS

romad1

24 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I got this plate and didn't know this was the reason they were brought back. When Trumpers find out, they're going to meltdown and destroy their cars.

Hell yes.  That's a solid plate.  I want one when i move back. 

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I got this plate and didn't know this was the reason they were brought back. When Trumpers find out, they're going to meltdown and destroy their cars.

When my wife and I took our civil rights trail/blues trail driving trip through the south a few years ago, I tried to find the Viola Liuzzo memorial marker along Alabama highway 8. Unsurprisingly, it's poorly marked and very difficult to find.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Remember Hands Across America. 

Couldn't even imagine even bringing up something that like today.......... it's so poisonous out there. 

At some point there’s going to be a reconciliation. It might take years and thousands or even millions may die, but it will happen. Maybe in 2030, 2040, beyond? That’s when we will see a Hands Across America again. Whoever comes through this will be eager for that kind of thing to happen.

Edited by chasfh

34 minutes ago, chasfh said:

At some point there’s going to be a reconciliation. It might take years and thousands or even millions may die, but it will happen. Maybe in 2030, 2040, beyond? That’s when we will see a Hands Across America again. Whoever comes through this will be eager for that kind of thing to happen.

The internet will have to be gone for it to ever happen again. 

So it's official: they are requiring payment for the blue check mark:

This confirms it for me: I think Elon Musk is trying to destroy Twitter. I think it might be because as a billionaire who wants to rule the world, he needs to destroy accountability outlets, and Twitter is a main one of those. The criticism flows freely on Twitter and gets shared instantaneously and everywhere—destroy it, and he and his ilk escape one of today's main avenues of accountability.

I bet his partners in equity and debt financing the deal are shitting a brick realizing that this weekend.

34 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Fact is, Elon has no interest in reconciling anything, because he is playing to an audience that not only does not require that, it's an audience that would actively punish him for his apostasy.

it makes no sense. His social media 'audience' does not pay his bills. I certainly don't care if he burns down Twitter and loses tens of $billions in the process, other than the inconvenience of waiting for another platform for real time news aggregation to arise I have no dog in Elon's fight.

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

it makes no sense. His social media 'audience' does not pay his bills. I certainly don't care if he burns down Twitter and loses tens of $billions in the process, other than the inconvenience of waiting for another platform for real time news aggregation to arise I have no dog in Elon's fight.

I think he sees his audience as more than just "social media".

5 hours ago, chasfh said:

I think he sees his audience as more than just "social media".

doesn't matter what he thinks his audience is, it doesn't change that advertisers pay his bills. He can certainly change that but he can't change it and maintain more than a fraction of the media presence Twitter has now.

11 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

doesn't matter what he thinks his audience is, it doesn't change that advertisers pay his bills. He can certainly change that but he can't change it and maintain more than a fraction of the media presence Twitter has now.

If what he really wants is to destroy the democratic free-for-all that is Twitter, then paying the bills doesn’t matter.

14 minutes ago, chasfh said:

If what he really wants is to destroy the democratic free-for-all that is Twitter, then paying the bills doesn’t matter.

well it's an interesting question. You'd think at 100. 200 billion, you wouldn't care about the $, but it never seems to go that way. Maybe it's just the competiveness about not being a 'loser', and Musk is potentially a huge loser on Tesla stock, which I really have a hard time believing is not going to drop another 75% before it's done. So I still tend to think that somehow he wants to turn Twitter into a win financially. Which is not to say it might not be a totally different product once he's done with it.