POLITICS SCHMALITICS

romad1

1 hour ago, pfife said:

So there's gonna be a ton of broken links on this forum if Twitter dies

Jeepers. IDK what the job market for IT skilled people in Silicon valley is right now, but I have to believe that it's still very strong. It would seem in that environment telling the 1/2 of your original employees that remain that they have the choice of staying and having their lives be hell, or finding a new gig maybe wasn't such a good idea? Who knows if this guy has any clue about the real number of employees left but if we take him at his word, that would mean another 2700 people took Elon up on the severance offer!

Now granted we have all seen operations that have a lot of fat, but I haven't seen too many get down to 15% of their original staffing other than during the swirl down the drain.

The thing about being a dictatorial employer is that you have to have the leverage to make it work. Maybe he had that over factory workers at Tesla or SpaceX, seems doubtful to me he would have it over software engineers in anything like the same way.

This story just gets crazier.

Edited by gehringer_2

Sounds like working for Mush is like working for Dave Brandon (from what I have heard from those I know).   If you got caught laughing at Schembechler Hall, it was time to start looking for a new job because you were on the shit list.       Nah, no way that someone can LIKE their job and enjoy being there and still work hard............NO FRIGGIN' WAY.  

This is enjoyable to watch him burn this thing to the ground.   Seems like it has to be a plan of some kind.   Twitter has always been a cesspool.        Watching Twitter and Ticketmaster burn in the same week feels good.  

I've worked for people who try to rule by fear, and I was young and desperate to work in an industry with a finite amount of jobs and radio stations.   I regret not walking away from a couple of those places.   I finally did in 2004.    Life's too short to work for a fucking prick.   They make you feel small and like you need them.  You don't.   Deal with that kind of misery for half of your waking day (and probably more for Elon Mush - because he probably wants you to quake at his every call, even on your time).   Glad I never bought a Tesla.    

Edited by Motor City Sonics
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Sounds like working for Mush is like working for Dave Brandon (from what I have heard from those I know).   If you got caught laughing at Schembechler Hall, it was time to start looking for a new job because you were on the shit list.       Nah, no way that someone can LIKE their job and enjoy being there and still work hard............NO FRIGGIN' WAY.  

This is enjoyable to watch him burn this thing to the ground.   Seems like it has to be a plan of some kind.   Twitter has always been a cesspool.        Watching Twitter and Ticketmaster burn in the same week feels good.  

I've worked for people who try to rule by fear, and I was young and desperate to work in an industry with a finite amount of jobs and radio stations.   I regret not walking away from a couple of those places.   I finally did in 2004.    Life's too short to work for a fucking prick.   They make you feel small and like you need them.  You don't.   Deal with that kind of misery for half of your waking day (and probably more for Elon Mush - because he probably wants you to quake at his every call, even on your time).   Glad I never bought a Tesla.    

This should hurt his other businesses.  He must be identified as a wrecker of our economy.

9 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Well, I for one didn’t want to see Twitter burn. I think it was useful in the form it was before all this started crumbling. I like the instant news aspect, and I think it served as a good forum for dissenting viewpoints on all sides. I think exposure to toxic right-wing posts on Twitter may actually have contributed to higher Democratic turnout. Without that exposure, the anger against the Republicans may have been a lot more concentrated and muted.

I’m guessing something will take its place, but I worry that it will be two separate services fragmented between right and left with little to no crossover, possibly enforced. One of the might actually be Truth Social. That would suck badly.

FWIW, my life and brain haven’t been ruined by Facebook, either, which has also been a net positive in my life because of the way I use it.

Don't know if it's just me, but I have seen prices come down on some groceries I buy this week. One thing I buy used to be $1.79 and is now $1.59, another went from $4.29 to $3.99, and another from $7.29 to $6.99. None of these items appeared to be on sale. Couple this with declining gas prices and I'm becoming convinced the powers to be had it out for Democrats. 

Month to month core rate increase was 0.3% percent on the last readout, which is 3.6% annual but nobody really cared to talk about it because everyone wants to look at laggy year to year numbers.......:classic_wink:.

So they get housing costs primarily from rents. If leases go up, that's a big step jump that stays in the year to year numbers for at least the term of the average lease - i.e. 12 mo. Meanwhile purchase house prices get hammered but since mortgages are more expensive that doesn't show up, if at all, until everything is over and interest rates start falling again. It's all navigation looking in the rear view mirror.

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

Don't know if it's just me, but I have seen prices come down on some groceries I buy this week. One thing I buy used to be $1.79 and is now $1.59, another went from $4.29 to $3.99, and another from $7.29 to $6.99. None of these items appeared to be on sale. Couple this with declining gas prices and I'm becoming convinced the powers to be had it out for Democrats. 

The Big City is lagging behind, at least where I go grocery shopping. Prices didn't seem to move up so much this spring and summer while everyone else was complaining about inflation, but in the last two months or so they seem to have really leapt up on CPG. OTOH, Meat and produce prices always wax and wane due to availability. I just got asparagus for 99¢ a pound and Starbucks packaged coffee for $5.99 on sale, down from $11.79. (I cleaned them out!)