2022 MLB (non-Tigers) catch all thread

gehringer_2

15 hours ago, KL2 said:

It's not. The median household income in this country is $70K. And its considerably higher in metro areas. For a few hours of entertainment the 50-100 is going rate whether it be a sporting event, gymboree or a trip to the aquarium. 

And what families are going to more than a couple of games a year anyway? 

$50-100 to go to an aquarium?  No aquariums for me!

51 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

A trip to the Boston Aquarium costs $34 and Boston is a pretty expensive city.  

how much to park and eat too?

its pricey out there for a family of four.  we cant go out to eat at a decent place for less than $150 unless its fast food.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

how much to park and eat too?

its pricey out there for a family of four.  we cant go out to eat at a decent place for less than $150 unless its fast food.

It costs money to park and eat to go to a game too.  The main reason I never go to Fenway anymore is the cost and hassle of getting there.  

We go out every Saturday, nothing terribly fancy but not fast food or counter service either.  No chain restaurants but similar. Usually it's 4 or 5 of us, I get a drink.  We'll get an appetizer.   With tip if it's above $130 I'll think "that was expensive".

Unless we go for Mexican.  Those are cheaper meals.  

14 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

No argument, you need to avoid River North or Streeterville😉

i always avoid river north.  we live up in ravenswood/lincoln square/albany park and rarely venture out into other areas for food.  we have all we need here.

but it aint cheap.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, oblong said:

We go out every Saturday, nothing terribly fancy but not fast food or counter service either.  No chain restaurants but similar. Usually it's 4 or 5 of us, I get a drink.  We'll get an appetizer.   With tip if it's above $130 I'll think "that was expensive".

Unless we go for Mexican.  Those are cheaper meals.  

i couldnt do that anywhere other than a cheap bar.

yesterday i went to lunch with a friend, we both got salads with chicken (she got salmon cause she's fancy) and a diet coke, the total bill after tip was $65.  went to a bar the week before and paid about the same for a reuben and a coke.  $30 after tip.  maybe i tip too much?  lol.  just a cheap garbage take out salad in the loop costs $15.

dinner is going to run you between $25-35 for an average entree.  $10-15 for a salad or appetizer.  $10-15 for a glass of wine or $35-50 for a cheap bottle.  $10-15 for a cocktail.  $5-7 for a coke.  $10-15 for dessert.

that's like $60-80 per person right there.

and that is not in the fanciest places in the city.  if we go out to a super nice restaurant without the kids, it will be at least $100 per person.  usually more.

chicago is the greatest food city in america, but its expensive.

It's been a while since we've been there. Spent a couple years in the near north between 1999 and 2000. It was a temporary landing spot as my wife's duties at her job basically required a move downtown. Liked it a lot, close to almost everything except reasonable grocery store (we lived above the Whole Foods). 

If we had stuck around Chicago we would have probably headed farther north.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, buddha said:

i couldnt do that anywhere other than a cheap bar.

yesterday i went to lunch with a friend, we both got salads with chicken (she got salmon cause she's fancy) and a diet coke, the total bill after tip was $65.  went to a bar the week before and paid about the same for a reuben and a coke.  $30 after tip.  maybe i tip too much?  lol.  just a cheap garbage take out salad in the loop costs $15.

dinner is going to run you between $25-35 for an average entree.  $10-15 for a salad or appetizer.  $10-15 for a glass of wine or $35-50 for a cheap bottle.  $10-15 for a cocktail.  $5-7 for a coke.  $10-15 for dessert.

that's like $60-80 per person right there.

and that is not in the fanciest places in the city.  if we go out to a super nice restaurant without the kids, it will be at least $100 per person.  usually more.

chicago is the greatest food city in america, but its expensive.

When we were there last year for a show I remember it being a bit pricier but I'm on 'vacation' so I didn't care or even pay attention.  

I got tickets for the same band this year but they moved their residency to late march and early April.  Then my wife says 'Maybe we shouldn't go, we're already going to Aruba', there's issues with taking care of our special needs son so she thought that was too much to ask.  So I sold them.  Then a few days later she's like "so that show... maybe....."

Arrrgh!

I really did like Chicago.  Close enough to not be a big deal.  Very nice city.  Easy to get around.  

• Like 1

A decent dinner here is going to run at least $25-40 an entree. We avoid the tourist traps mostly. There are a few close to the college and CW that we will frequent once in a while. But at the same time there is enough food for another meal most of the time.

We joke that our biggest food expense is wine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oblong said:

When we were there last year for a show I remember it being a bit pricier but I'm on 'vacation' so I didn't care or even pay attention.  

I got tickets for the same band this year but they moved their residency to late march and early April.  Then my wife says 'Maybe we shouldn't go, we're already going to Aruba', there's issues with taking care of our special needs son so she thought that was too much to ask.  So I sold them.  Then a few days later she's like "so that show... maybe....."

Arrrgh!

I really did like Chicago.  Close enough to not be a big deal.  Very nice city.  Easy to get around.  

its a great city to visit.  and to eat in!

(just dont get car jacked...)

mayoral election is today!  fun times.

I really enjoy going to Chicago. Now that my daughter goes to school there she is familiar with public transit. Getting a 1-2 day transit pass is cheap. A couple of weeks ago the weather was nice, we jumped on the L at Harlem went to Navy Pier then hopped a bus to millennium Park ate, then took train back to River Forest. You see some crazies on the L but whatever. Similar experience going to Wrigley last fall. Parking is stupid expensive so avoiding that makes my dollar go a little further.

Edited by Tigeraholic1

On 2/28/2023 at 11:59 AM, Tigeraholic1 said:

I really enjoy going to Chicago. Now that my daughter goes to school there she is familiar with public transit. Getting a 1-2 day transit pass is cheap. A couple of weeks ago the weather was nice, we jumped on the L at Harlem went to Navy Pier then hopped a bus to millennium Park ate, then took train back to River Forest. You see some crazies on the L but whatever. Similar experience going to Wrigley last fall. Parking is stupid expensive so avoiding that makes my dollar go a little further.

I almost never see crazies on the L, and you see some on your only trip on one? Awww, not fair.

When we visited we got the 3 day pass.  We could have probably done without it but the ride from and to Midway to our hotel was about 2/3 of what we paid so it was nice to have it as an option.  We used it on Saturday afternoon to ride up to Wrigley and walk around there just so I could see it. We didn't need it for any of our other activities as things were close enough to walk.  I just like having it as an option in case we decide on a last minute excursion.  once I pay for something then after that it's "free" as I see it.

I told Buddha about our time near the Harold Washington Library and he shared that a week prior some dude got stabbed in the park there.  Good times.  But stuff like that doesn't bother me.  Can happen in Detroit too.