2022 MLB (non-Tigers) catch all thread

gehringer_2

4 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

He's a jerk, but if he contributes to winning games he'd be tolerable.  I don't deal with him personally.  All I have to do is watch him pitch and look at his stats. 

I worry more about his ability to play well with others.  I get a kick out of some of his anti-establishment stuff, but apparently his Dodger teammates hated him.  Not sure if it was because of the allegations against him.

24 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I worry more about his ability to play well with others.  I get a kick out of some of his anti-establishment stuff, but apparently his Dodger teammates hated him.  Not sure if it was because of the allegations against him.

There is that, but I think baseball pitcher is the position in sports where I would least worry about that stuff.  Anyway, if the Tigers did sign him or trade for him (I know it's not happening) I would assume as a fan that they determined his personality was not a problem.  

Edited by Tiger337

40 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

He's a jerk, but if he contributes to winning games he'd be tolerable.  I don't deal with him personally.  All I have to do is watch him pitch and look at his stats. 

Sure, I understand that to a point.  Bauer just crosses the line for me.  He's way too arrogant and self aggrandizing for my liking.  And like I said before, that was before the issues because of which he found himself suspended.  He makes Jack Morris seem tolerable.  Although now that I think about it, maybe the difference between the two is just the era in which they played and the fan access/awareness via social media.

3 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Teammates on all his teams have always hated him, going back to at least UCLA. He’s one of those loner prodigies who marches to the beat of his own drummer. That’s fine as far as it goes, but he’s also a loudmouth about it, and as it turns out, people don’t like being around that.

Players don't like him, but I think they dislike him for different reasons than the fans dislike him.  For example. I think players dislike his anti-establishment rants whereas some fans are amused by that.  On the other hand, fans don't like him, in part, because he is openly disrespectful of women such as when he said that he wasn't interested in having a relationship with a woman. He just wanted to hook up with them.  A large percentage of the single players probably feel the same way, but they don't want to hear a teammate blabbing about it.  

7 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

The Rangers signed Nate Eovaldi to a 2-year deal, to join deGrom, Odorizzi, Andrew Heaney, who were all acquired this offseason and holdovers Dane Dunning and Martin Perez in the rotation, with Leiter, Rocker and Brock Porter looming.

Also Jon Gray I believe. They went all out for SP this off-season it seems.

Maybe they need a little BP help as well? Josh Smith, EDuran, DHarris all make potential interesting young trade targets that could be available.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

I liked McCarver earlier in his career but he seemed to lose it later in his career. 

All I can think of late in his career is when VMart hurt his side in one our playoff series only for McCarver to use this gem "baseball is a game of oblique angles.... and injuries." I remember just cringing when he said that. 

3 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

I’m sorry to see him pass—he was an underrated player in his time.  However, I was never a fan of his broadcasting. Nor was Deion Sanders.

He was a prominent part of baseball my whole life as a fan going back to the '68.  He was one of the first names I knew.  I would listen to Cardinals games on the radio with my father.  My mother, who didn't even like baseball much, liked McCarver.  My father was less impressed and would tease her whenever he made an out.  

McCarver turned me off early as a broadcaster by coming into Det to do a Tiger game once without having done his homework - I don't remember which pitcher but he was rambling on about a Tigers pitcher's certain pitch -- which was one he didn't throw. After that it was easy to never give him the benefit of the doubt I guess. OTOH, he was good in the booth at all the aesthetic things  - nice voice, good delivery.

Edited by gehringer_2