2022 MLB (non-Tigers) catch all thread

gehringer_2

18 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

37 minutes ago, buddha said:

good.  get your ass in the box and hit.

Yup.  No easing into it, let's rip the band aid off and go.

I had heard a point made elsewhere that makes some sense.  The younger players who have been exposed to this in the minors, they should be set in the new ways whilst the older major leaguers are going to the ones that need to be removed from their ways.  In fairness to them, that slow approach was allowed.  But if MLB wants to change old habits, change them from day one.

Edited by casimir

I don’t love the new pace of play rules. I think a clock is a good idea (and overdue) but 15 seconds seems too quick. NCAA does 20 (10 for the batter), that seems more appropriate. I also think it will be counterproductive later in games, when the suspense is on but doesn’t have any chance to develop as the game progresses robotically. All the same, players will adapt and I think it will become a pretty rare call, like a delay of game in football.

I also don’t think it’s going to be some magical fix to baseball’s problems. None of these rule changes will. I looked at single game tickets today for the Tigers and laughed when I saw that the “cheap seats” are $20-25 or more depending on the game, and decent seats reach $100 or more... Who can afford that?! Add in downtown event parking and ballpark concessions and a family of four is looking at half a rent payment by the 3rd inning…. Should the casual middle class fan in the suburbs just look to watch games on TV instead and go to one or two, like my family did as a kid? Time to go out of your way to spend money on Bally friggin’ Sports. That’s Detroit specific, but it’s happening everywhere.

You’re not going to create fans on sandlots anymore. And if they can’t afford to go and they don’t have the TV package to watch, Manfred is going to continue watching fans get older and disappear, no matter what rules you’re tinkering with. Me personally, I’ll continue going to Michigan Baseball games for a swipe of my student ID and maybe making a trip or two to Jimmy John’s Field or Toledo every season. The juice ain’t worth the squeeze at Comerica.

58 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I don’t love the new pace of play rules. I think a clock is a good idea (and overdue) but 15 seconds seems too quick. NCAA does 20 (10 for the batter), that seems more appropriate. I also think it will be counterproductive later in games, when the suspense is on but doesn’t have any chance to develop as the game progresses robotically. All the same, players will adapt and I think it will become a pretty rare call, like a delay of game in football.

I also don’t think it’s going to be some magical fix to baseball’s problems. None of these rule changes will. I looked at single game tickets today for the Tigers and laughed when I saw that the “cheap seats” are $20-25 or more depending on the game, and decent seats reach $100 or more... Who can afford that?! Add in downtown event parking and ballpark concessions and a family of four is looking at half a rent payment by the 3rd inning…. Should the casual middle class fan in the suburbs just look to watch games on TV instead and go to one or two, like my family did as a kid? Time to go out of your way to spend money on Bally friggin’ Sports. That’s Detroit specific, but it’s happening everywhere.

You’re not going to create fans on sandlots anymore. And if they can’t afford to go and they don’t have the TV package to watch, Manfred is going to continue watching fans get older and disappear, no matter what rules you’re tinkering with. Me personally, I’ll continue going to Michigan Baseball games for a swipe of my student ID and maybe making a trip or two to Jimmy John’s Field or Toledo every season. The juice ain’t worth the squeeze at Comerica.

you think baseball tickets are expensive?  try buying football or hockey ticket.

11 minutes ago, buddha said:

you think baseball tickets are expensive?  try buying football or hockey ticket.

No doubt RE hockey, but there are half of them compared to baseball, plus you’re inside. I’ve seen a few on the aftermarket at that same cheap seat price point the Tigers are offering their cheapest seats for too. Suffers from the same problem as baseball regarding regional television though.

Football has eight or nine home games per season, is inside, and every game is available with the most basic cable package.

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Don't move to another market.

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

when the suspense is on but doesn’t have any chance to develop as the game progresses robotically.

Interesting point, but my guess is probably not. It's not like the play clock goes longer in basketball or football or players take longer to serve in Tennis when the game is on the line.

The delays in baseball are actually tension breakers anyway aren't they? A guy steps back to do his gloves or a pitchers goes through the signs repeatedly. It's the pitch you anticipate, so I'm not sure that cutting out things that only break the progression to the pitch will lower the overal game tension or not.....

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I believe it. Maybe it’s just me being crotchety. When I was young the cheapest tickets to a Tigers game were $5 and the most expensive were like $70.

$5 when you were a kid is $20 today.

A $20 ticket is still less than the cost to fill up a tank of gas today. A $100 is now two tanks. It's a reasonable cost and 50 to 100 for an hour of entertainment be it a sporting event or concert or helicopter ride is the going rate

1 hour ago, KL2 said:

$5 when you were a kid is $20 today.

A $20 ticket is still less than the cost to fill up a tank of gas today. A $100 is now two tanks. It's a reasonable cost and 50 to 100 for an hour of entertainment be it a sporting event or concert or helicopter ride is the going rate

Which is too much for most families.  I don't really care since I don't go to a lot MLB games.  I am a tv/radio fan.  If I go to a game,it is usually a minor league game.  I don't see how most families can reasonably afford to go to more than a game or two a year.