2022 MLB (non-Tigers) catch all thread

gehringer_2

11 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I gotta believe if the Dodgers can’t fix him, he’s probably unfixable.

Pass. 

You're probably right that if the Dodgers cant fix him nobody can. I just don't know much about his situation other than he crashed and burned after being one of the handful of best players at one point. Did he get injured, change his swing or what? It's almost an unheard of case for somebody to drop like that at his age without a major injury. 

15 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

You're probably right that if the Dodgers cant fix him nobody can. I just don't know much about his situation other than he crashed and burned after being one of the handful of best players at one point. Did he get injured, change his swing or what? It's almost an unheard of case for somebody to drop like that at his age without a major injury. 

Major injury to his right shoulder - labrum surgery - then a fractured leg...the shoulder maybe still affects his swing? 

Bellinger, who had repeatedly injured his right shoulder by diving for ground balls throughout his professional baseball career, underwent surgery for the affected arm in November 2020. He revealed later that, while celebrating his NLCS-winning home run that October, he had dislocated his shoulder by connecting too strongly with teammate Enrique Hernández' arm.[87] Bellinger's recovery from the arthroscopic glenoid labrum surgery progressed ahead of schedule, and he was able to join the Dodgers for spring training in 2021.[88] He suffered another serious injury on April 6 after colliding with Oakland Athletics pitcher Reymin Guduan. Bellinger was initially placed on the 10-day injured list before medical scans revealed that he had suffered a hairline fracture in his left fibula.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

No

Just for fun I pulled them both up on b-r and picked out the best year for each, and picked a prime year between the ages of 25 and 30 because they both had a lot of success well into their 30's.  I think that Whitaker really broke out in 1983, age 26, the first of 5 straight All-Star appearances and during those 5 years he had 4 Silver Sluggers and 3 Gold Gloves.  His slash was .320/.380/.457 and his OPS+ was 133.  Great defender, great hitter, star player.

Now McGriff, he had some nice years too obviously but I am going to choose 1989, he was 25 and led the league in home runs, drew 119 walks, slashed .269/.399/.525, led the league in OPS and, of course, OPS+ at 165.  Naturally he was the Silver Slugger winner.

So now ignore the time-space continuum for a moment.  Pat Gillick phones Jim Campbell after the 1983 season and says "Let's swap one for one.  You give me Whitaker, and I give you 1989 Fred McGriff but you can have him and his production right now for 1984."

Does Campbell take that deal?  Never in a million years.   

2 hours ago, buddha said:

i would probably rank mcgriff last out of all those players.  maybe ahead of murphy and mattingly jist because their careers were so short.

I like McGriff a lot, but would have considered him to be borderline HOF...until Baines got in, then McGriff should have been a slam dunk.  Mattingly couldn't carry his jock strap.  As for Murphy, I am surprised that he does not get more love, he had a very high peak.  But as always you compare any of these guys to Whitaker, and the question is just absurd and doesn't even deserve an answer.  

10 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I am not surprised that McGriff made it but how does he get 16 olf 16 votes?  You can make a good HoF case for McGriff, but he wasn't good enough for 16 individuals to determine independently that he belongs.  There must have been some serious lobbying going on.  

Maybe they called Harold Baines and asked for his input.

I'm thinking the committee that picked the players on the ballot decided to give the steroid boys their shot (pun intended), then Lou will be on the next ballot for that era and will sail in.

Did they know the voting members when they picked the players?  Maybe they kept Lou off since Tram and Jack were on it?

I think Leyland is going to be eligible very soon so we could see Lou and Jim go in together.