2022 MLB (non-Tigers) catch all thread

gehringer_2

2 hours ago, buddha said:

ive been watching baseball for 50 years and ive never seen them enforce it.  because they didnt have to until the last 20-25 years.

IIRC, I think in more recent years I did see a ball assessed on Benoit - once, but back in the day you are right, they didn't have to because nobody took the time - still you would see an umpire occasionally wave at a guy to pick it up and they would. I think one of the big shifts was teams realizing that it froze runners when the pitcher held the ball. I think that drove the shift toward making the taking of way too much time more standard practice - and it leaked from there into all situations --And again you are right, the leagues never responded as it was happening when it was happening. If they had then, it never would have gotten to where it is now.

22 hours ago, oblong said:

It’s not a problem for other leagues.  They maximize viewers nationally. For every one you think they would lose on the east coast they would lose on the west. 

Not quite: about 50% of all Americans live in the Eastern time zone, and only about 17% live in the Pacific zone

2 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

Aaron Judge has 59 home runs.  He needs 3 more to get to 62, which isn't the record, but it will be the most since the steroid era.  

Albert Pujols has 698 career home runs and just needs 2 more to be the 4th player to hit 700.  

I hope he gets it, but have a feeling he'll end with 699. I wonder if a scrub will come in to serve up #700 at the end if there's nothing on the line the last game of the season. 

7 minutes ago, ben9753 said:

I hope he gets it, but have a feeling he'll end with 699. I wonder if a scrub will come in to serve up #700 at the end if there's nothing on the line the last game of the season. 

Because MLB had to add games at the end of the year to make up the first week, St. Louis hosts Pittsburgh for 3 then travels to Pittsburgh for 3.

St. Louis has the division in hand, up 8 with Milwaukee at an elimination number of 8.  Maybe seeding could be at hand Atlanta, or maybe even New York?  I don't know, seems like the chances are slim.  I guess wat I am getting at is that the final 6 games of the season shouldn't make or break anything for St. Louis or anyone else.

image.png.f706abf3eaff30174bb896013cc2c181.png

9 hours ago, ben9753 said:

Not a scrub, at least on purpose. It would take a guy with a secure career to do something like that.

Edited by chasfh

4 hours ago, Dan Gilmore said:

Also, not someone who might be out of baseball after a cup of coffee, but will still want to be able to say “yeah, I struck out Albert Puhols”.

Conversely, the old guy might think, here’s my last chance to get some fame, as the guy who served it up. 

Do people know the pitching side of homer milestones?  Who gave up #700 to Bonds, Aaron, and Ruth?  Who gave up #756 to Bonds?  Robert Fick hit the last homer in Tiger Stadium.  Who did he hit it off of?  

7 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

Someone like Denny McLain, feeding one to the Mick.

I remember that.  Of course, I didn't actually see it.  Very few games were televised then, but I read about it in the newspapaer that day.  As I recall, Mickey waved his bat over the area he wanted the pitch, and McLain grooved it.  Mickey didn't disappoint.

1 hour ago, apabruce said:

I remember that.  Of course, I didn't actually see it.  Very few games were televised then, but I read about it in the newspapaer that day.  As I recall, Mickey waved his bat over the area he wanted the pitch, and McLain grooved it.  Mickey didn't disappoint.

Here's Mickey describing it.

• Like 1

I dont know many people that remember the pitcher's name by heart but their fame comes from being featured in the highlights that will play on for eternity.  When the highlight is still being shown 50 years you can point to your Grandkids and say "that's your grandpa right there throwing that pitch." That seems kinda cool to me. 

Also if you're a AAAA type pitcher that may only pitch in the big leagues for a cup of coffee like many pitchers in September do it would be a pretty cool "war story" to tell friends years from now. Yeah saying you pitched a few weeks in the big leagues is pretty damn cool in itself but telling people that you were the won to serve up the AL HR record or the 700 HR to a hall of famer would make for an even cooler story. 

1 hour ago, bobrob2004 said:

Do people know the pitching side of homer milestones?  Who gave up #700 to Bonds, Aaron, and Ruth?  Who gave up #756 to Bonds?  Robert Fick hit the last homer in Tiger Stadium.  Who did he hit it off of?  

Bonds 756: Mike Bascik

Bonds 755: Clay Hensley (I remember this one, because Clay Hensley tested positive for steroids at some point but nobody seemed to care)

Bonds 700: Jake Peavy

Aaron 700: Ken Brett

Ruth 700: Elden Auker (I vaguely remember this coming up when Auker died)

Fick 6: Jeff Montgomery

Edited by Edman85