2022 MLB (non-Tigers) catch all thread

gehringer_2

18 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

The MLB is set to vote in the proposed rule changes tomorrow, they consist of eliminating of the shift, bigger bases and a pitch clock. 

I have no idea if any will pass but if they do I wonder how much if any they will benefit the Tigers. 

I'm not thrilled the banning of the shift passed. Now hitters have even less reason to adjust. Not to mention that fielders will just move as close to second base and the outfield grass as they can get.  The pitch clock I like. The long delays between pitches has been annoying for years. Bigger bases I don't care about. I don't even know what "problem" that was solving.

So, what's the devil in the details behind the banning of the shift?  It has to have some clause that clearly states 3 OFs and 4 IFs, the difference between the OF & IF being the dirt.  But what about the parameters of left side and right side of 2B?  Wasn't there a minor league experimenting with a "wedged divider" like a piece of pie shaped area behind 2B that the defense had to stay out of prepitch?  Or will it just be a line extending from home through 2B and to the OF?  And what is the exact timing of when the defense can move?

I agree, it sucks that it kind of rewards the hitters into staying with their swing for the downs approach.  I think the HR or bust is bad for the sport.  Get more in game movement.

The bigger bases, I think, were to encourage more base stealing?  The Tigers don't get anyone on base, so meh, whatevs.

5 minutes ago, casimir said:

The bigger bases, I think, were to encourage more base stealing?  The Tigers don't get anyone on base, so meh, whatevs.

it's a little bit to cut down on the distance by an inch or two, which will make the steal very very marginally easier, but I think it's also partly additional safety - more room for both the runner and fielder to be on the base the rest of the time.

I'm indifferent to the shift, part of me feels that you should be able to align your defense however you want but the other part of me concedes that there are illegal formations in other sports so why should baseball be any different? Regardless I don't think it's going to make as big of difference as people think in terms of how players play. Like the power hitters that you usually shift against are probably still gonna swing for the fences. 

I'm not a fan of banning it either for reasons we've gone over a million times.  But it's not a hill I'd die on at this point.  Like expanded playoffs they're going to do what they're going to do regardless of any integrity or philosophical issues.

In 10 years there could be a mercy rule if they keep up the pace with non pitchers getting more opportunities on the mound.  Think I'm crazy?  You watch.

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

it's a little bit to cut down on the distance by an inch or two, which will make the steal very very marginally easier, but I think it's also partly additional safety - more room for both the runner and fielder to be on the base the rest of the time.

I believe its 4.6 inches less. So maybe the running game is enhanced and also the players have an easier time of staying on the base hopefully reducing the player is safe but over slid the bag out call. 

I am a fan of banning the shift.  I actually believe it will help at bats move away from being two dimensional, strike out or home run. The shift allowed pitchers to pitch into the shift and limiting the ability to hit the other way. Yes it’s true that the best hitters still could do it but usually with less positive results. So what did hitters do, they changed their approach to just go with the pitch and change the launch angle and try to hit it as far as possible. Led to more swing and misses which also increases pitch counts for the pitchers. I believe that by banning the shift pitches will move back to using the whole plate and will put more balls into play.

With that said the part of the rule I don’t like is that infielders can’t be in the grass. Where is that line and is it the same in every ball park? I don’t believe MLB should take away all of the tools a defense has to create good angles for themselves. 

just my opinion of course. 

2 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

Hey Rob Manfred how about an extra run for a ball that Statcast estimates at more than 475 feet?  You know, a 2 run homer with the bases empty?  Sort of like a 3 point shot?

you just *had* to post that didn't you? That should about guarantee we see it in about 5 yrs......

:classic_tongue:                      

I've played a lot of kickball leagues. There's a lot of bunting in those leads, and there is a rule that when the ball is kicked, no fielders can be in front of the line between first and third base. As a result, the third baseman (charger) often gets a running start and has momentum behind the line as the ball is kicked.

I'm curious if teams do something like that in lieu of shifts, getting players with a running start. It could get exhausting.

I hate the banning of the shift, although it’s not the dumbest rule change. The dumbest is allowing intentional walks by waving four fingers and pointing, which in addition to solving no problem at all, takes away the possibility of a botched IBB which could change the calculus of the game substantially. It was basically a lawyerly efficiency change.

Athough the limiting of throws to first is very nearly equally dumb in the sense that it also solves no problem. It was merely Bill James’s hobby horse, as far as I can tell.

Edited by chasfh

4 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I hate the banning of the shift, although it’s not the dumbest rule change. The dumbest is allowing intentional walks by waving four fingers and pointing, which in addition to solving no problem at all, takes away the possibility of a botched IBB which could change the calculus of the game substantially. It was basically a lawyerly efficiency change.

Athough the limiting of throws to first is very nearly equally dumb in the sense that it also solves no problem. It was merely Bill James’s hobby horse, as far as I can tell.

the ibb rule change is very good.  the "botched" ibb almost never ever ever happens.  and it simply wastes time.  this was a good rule change.

the dumbest rule change continues to be starting a runner at second base in extra innings.  all the rest of the rule changes are fine.

someday y'all will get over your manfred hate and agree that some - SOME - of these changes make good sense in a changing world.  or at least give them a chance.

Also, have you all actually read the pitch clock rules? This was printed in today’s The Athletic:

Pitch clock, stepping off the mound and other timing matters

• The catcher must be in the catcher’s box with nine seconds left on the timer.

• The hitter must have both feet set in the batter’s box and be “alert to the pitcher” — meaning he has his eyes on the pitcher, and can quickly take a hitting stance — within eight seconds.

• The timer starts when the pitcher has the ball, and the catcher and the batter are in the dirt near home plate and play is ready — meaning, runners have retreated if there was a foul ball, or exited the field after an out. (The pitch timer starts with the second pitch of the game.)

• In between batters, there is a 30-second clock, except for the final out of an inning. The timer for inning breaks and pitching changes is 2 minutes, 15 seconds.

Pitchers who violate the clock are charged with an automatic ball. If a catcher violates the clock, an automatic ball is charged as well. Batters in violation receive an automatic strike. Umpires can also award a ball or strike if they detect a player circumventing the clocks, and the commissioner’s office could issue discipline beyond that to teams whose players or staff violate rules, as well.

• If the defense requests time, a disengagement is assessed to the pitcher, with several exceptions, including mound meetings, an object on the field, injuries, or an appeal. Catchers giving signals to infielders doesn’t count as a disengagement as long as the catcher is back by nine seconds.

• Pitcher requests for a new baseball with nine seconds or more remaining on the pitch timer do not count as a disengagement, but do if there are less than nine seconds.

• Mound visits have a 30-second clock starting when the manager or coach leaves the dugout, or whenever the defensive player leaves their position. If a manager joined a mound visit in progress, the timer resets if there are at least 20 seconds left on the timer. The umpire has discretion to grant additional time if a manager or coach is dealing with a physical ailment. There is no timer if a trainer goes out with the manager or coach for “a bona fide medical issue.”

• Batters can ask for and be granted time once per plate appearance, and have to ask for time orally. That resets the pitch clock. A batter who requests time a second time or more in the same plate appearance is to be charged with a strike — unless the batter stays in the batter’s box, then the umpire has discretion as to whether to charge a strike.

• The length of batter walk-up music cannot exceed 10 seconds. Music between pitches is to be limited so hitters aren’t encouraged to leave the box.

• “Extended inning events,” like the playing of “God Bless America,” or anything that stops all action in the ballpark, requires approval from the commissioner’s office, and advance notice of those approved events has to go to the MLBPA.

• The pitch timer cannot be reviewed on replay.

• Umpires have sole discretion to direct the start, stop or reset of the timer if the clock operator makes a mistake or a special circumstance applies, such as a catcher not having enough time to put on equipment after running the bases or a medical concern. (They would reset the clock to 20 or 15 seconds).

Holy needless complexity, Batman! No wonder the Lawyer Commissioner likes it!

1 minute ago, buddha said:

the ibb rule change is very good.  the "botched" ibb almost never ever ever happens.  and it simply wastes time.  this was a good rule change.

the dumbest rule change continues to be starting a runner at second base in extra innings.  all the rest of the rule changes are fine.

someday y'all will get over your manfred hate and agree that some - SOME - of these changes make good sense in a changing world.  or at least give them a chance.

It solved no problem at all and took away one of the more entertaining possibilities in the game. It was a bad, dumb rule change. 

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

It solved no problem at all and took away one of the more entertaining possibilities in the game. It was a bad, dumb rule change. 

an "entertaining possibility" that almost never ever happens.  

i bet you were on the edge of your seat during every intentional walk.  lol.  come on.

10 hours ago, Edman85 said:

I've played a lot of kickball leagues. There's a lot of bunting in those leads, and there is a rule that when the ball is kicked, no fielders can be in front of the line between first and third base. As a result, the third baseman (charger) often gets a running start and has momentum behind the line as the ball is kicked.

I'm curious if teams do something like that in lieu of shifts, getting players with a running start. It could get exhausting.

Yeah, I'm wondering this about the middle infielders.  Not necessarily running in towards the plate, but can they line up a step over from behind 2B but reposition to the "illegal" side of 2B once the pitch is delivered?  Or even get a running start like you see WRs do in the CFL?  Maybe it wouldn't be an effective strategy, maybe its just too much additional short/quick runs to add to a player during a game?  I don't know.

9 hours ago, buddha said:

Yes, give Manfred and MLB their due with the IBB. 

The pitch clock will be another good move.  Maybe it needs to be tweaked a bit, but they are going in the right direction.

It also looks like MLB is going along with unionization of minor league players and their representation by MLBPA.  There had to have been some scuttle behind the scenes, but that hasn't played out publicly.  So far so good on that front?