2022 MLB (non-Tigers) catch all thread

gehringer_2

So apparently contract talks between Aaron Judge and the Yankees have broken down, which led Brian Cashman to do the 'Dombrowski vs Scherzer' thing and publicly lay out the terms of the contract they offered that Judge refused. Have to think this is likely to end the same with the Yanks as it did with the Tigers and Scherzer.

May be also the quality of the opponent, but I watched a decent amount of the Texas Rangers game last night and it seemed like foreshadowing for the rest of their season: much improved offense that will win them some more games, almost the same trainwreck of a pitching staff as last year that will lose a lot of games.

Toronto's comeback was the third largest comeback for a season opener in history. 

• Thanks 1

Relief pitching: Can't live with it, can't live without it.

Before last night Aroldis Chapman had appeared in 3 games, faced 10 batters, K'd 5 and had not given up a hit, walk, or run. Last night he came in against the Jays to start the 9th and walked the bases loaded. Michael King came in and got him out of it with a K and DP. Chapman still hasn't given up a hit or a run!  🤔

14 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Relief pitching: Can't live with it, can't live without it.

Before last night Aroldis Chapman had appeared in 3 games, faced 10 batters, K'd 5 and had not given up a hit, walk, or run. Last night he came in against the Jays to start the 9th and walked the bases loaded. Michael King came in and got him out of it with a K and DP. Chapman still hasn't given up a hit or a run!  🤔

LOL. the Yankee relief saga continues.  Boone put Chapman in in the 11th and Aroldis issues the walk-off walk with the baseas loaded.

Yeah there must be something about ole Buck that makes him more addicting to MLB teams than black tar heroin. I mean somehow he's working on a 10 year career as a reliever despite never really putting up a single really good season.  He's got a career ERA north of 5 with the peripherals to match yet he still keeps getting work. It's mind boggling.

I don't know if you guys have seen Boomer Esiason's syndicated interview show, I'm watching it now on one of the Buffalo network affiliates.  It's not bad, he gets some good guests.  I watch it at 11:30 on Sunday night.

Tonight he's talking to George Will who apparently wrote a book in 1990 about "the craft of baseball", I didn't read it.  I know that guys my age are supposed to be fans of George Will but, I don't know, I don't really get him.  Tonight he is making bitchy comments about "26 year old guys from Princeton telling the manager where to position the outfielders".

Anyway, what was interesting was that Esiason asked him which of today's players he thought understood the "craft" of playing professional baseball, which I take to mean understand the intricate elements of the game, and understand your own talents and skills and how to apply them to those intricacies, and work continuously towards the mastery of your craft.  He didn't hesitate...Javy Baez.  By a mile.  Trout was the runnerup.  The show is at least a year old, the photo of Baez was in a Cubs uniform.

His two pitchers who understood the "craft":  Verlander and Scherzer.

8 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

I don't know if you guys have seen Boomer Esiason's syndicated interview show, I'm watching it now on one of the Buffalo network affiliates.  It's not bad, he gets some good guests.  I watch it at 11:30 on Sunday night.

Tonight he's talking to George Will who apparently wrote a book in 1990 about "the craft of baseball", I didn't read it.  I know that guys my age are supposed to be fans of George Will but, I don't know, I don't really get him.  Tonight he is making bitchy comments about "26 year old guys from Princeton telling the manager where to position the outfielders".

Anyway, what was interesting was that Esiason asked him which of today's players he thought understood the "craft" of playing professional baseball, which I take to mean understand the intricate elements of the game, and understand your own talents and skills and how to apply them to those intricacies, and work continuously towards the mastery of your craft.  He didn't hesitate...Javy Baez.  By a mile.  Trout was the runnerup.  The show is at least a year old, the photo of Baez was in a Cubs uniform.

His two pitchers who understood the "craft":  Verlander and Scherzer.

The world has passed George by and he doesn't like it, but his baseball fandom is real enough.

35 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I like bref for looking up particular records or past single season stuff but I tend to use fg when I look up a particular player's stats especially current guys,  idk I guess I just find their interface to be easier or something. 

I like baseball reference's interface better, but there are some things I can't find there which I can find at FanGraphs.  I use both of them a lot.  FanGraphs tends to be slower and has more ads even though I paid a fee to get rid of ads.  I know if I paid a higher fee, I could get rid of all the ads, but they didn't offer anything else that I wanted.  The fee for Stathead at B-Ref is definitely worth it for me.