2022 MLB (non-Tigers) catch all thread

gehringer_2

3 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Baseball-Reference has a good group of people.  They take their jobs seriously, but don't take themselves seriously. 

A few years ago (maybe more than a few), they pranked a former MLB player by posting only his pictures on its main page for a day.  I think it was Chris Singleton who was on MLB Network at the time.

24 minutes ago, casimir said:

I'm listening to a podcast with Rod Carew as a guest.  I check bbref for his stats.  18 time all star in a 19 year career.  I'd have never guessed he had that many appearances, especially since he played so many seasons as a nonpower threat 1B.

Batting .300 every year was good enough back then.  His on base percentages were very good too, but he probably didn't deserve 18 all-star appearances

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Batting .300 every year was good enough back then.  His on base percentages were very good too, but he probably didn't deserve 18 all-star appearances

True - Once he went to 1B, his ISO wasn't what you might hope for there, though he did keep his OPS+ above 120 until his last two seasons - he never lost his ability to work a walk.

23 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

It makes me wonder in 30-40 years from now if there will be some new metrics that are the be all end all and folks will be like "having a high ops and WAR meant everything back then." when questioning the great players of today. 

There will most likely be new fielding metrics which make today's metrics seem silly.  However, there will be no way to evaluate the players of today because the data used in the future won't be available for today's players and certainly not players who played before statcast.  

I don't know how much more they can do with offense as far as evaluating results.  There will be better predictive and scouting tools, but I think the results metrics for offense won't be that much further advanced.  There might be some tweaks using more situational data, but I don't they'll be questioning today's  great hitters.  

3 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

There will most likely be new fielding metrics which make today's metrics seem silly.  However, there will be no way to evaluate the players of today because the data used in the future won't be available for today's players and certainly not players who played before statcast.  

I don't know how much more they can do with offense as far as evaluating results.  There will be better predictive and scouting tools, but I think the results metrics for offense won't be that much further advanced.  There might be some tweaks using more situational data, but I don't they'll be questioning today's  great hitters.  

Sample size will remain a problem though, the number of plays at degrees of difficulty that allow for useful rankings can be pretty rare. No matter how good your measurement tools you have to have measurements to take!

4 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

True - Once he went to 1B, his ISO wasn't what you might hope for there, though he did keep his OPS+ above 120 until his last two seasons - he never lost his ability to work a walk.

His BB/SO ratios are interesting.  All of his SO>BB seasons were the 6 earliest of his career.  He was about even for his career.  A lot of SBs but also a lot of CSs.

15 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

Those Twins teams were good and when we wonder why our 84 team did not win more consider the Twins had Carew, Oliva, Killebrew, Kaat , Allison and  Dean Chance  together for a stretch. Not bad. 

They could have been even better if they had ever found the clubhouse at Mall of America....

:classic_wink:

22 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Rod Allen providing color for Marlins radio tonight... stopped in for a bit.

Wasn't his biggest fan, particularly toward the end, but he's so much better than Morris, no contest at all

Mario & Rod were so much better than what we have now.     I think it's ridiculous that they got fired over a scuffle.......big deal.  Guys that work together for a very long time are going to have some bad moments.  It was totally overblown and feels like they were looking for a reason to fire those guys.    I've seen guys in radio go full-on fisticuffs and end up working with each other with no other major issues.  It happens. 

46 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I don't get the cry baby-ness here.

San Francisco put baseball on notice earlier this season.  Heck, it might have been the first series of the season.  They are not going to let down.  They will need to be stopped.  Run differential is a tie breaker for playoff eligibility (and perhaps a tie breaker for the division, I don't know), and extra runs scored now are the same as extra runs scored in September.

Additionally, this is the beginning of the series.  I have no problem with trying to wipe out the opponents' pitching staff for the series in the 1st game of the series.  If there's an opportunity on Friday to gain an edge for Saturday and Sunday.  Nobody is doing anything untoward as far as trying to injure anyone else like going in spikes up or throwing at batters' heads or anything like that.

Don't like it?  Do a better job of shutting the opponent down.

Edited by casimir
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, casimir said:

San Francisco put baseball on notice earlier this season.  Heck, it might have been the first series of the season.  They are not going to let down.  They will need to be stopped.  Run differential is a tie breaker for playoff eligibility (and perhaps a tie breaker for the division, I don't know), and extra runs scored now are the same as extra runs scored in September.

Additionally, this is the beginning of the series.  I have no problem with trying to wipe out the opponents' pitching staff for the series in the 1st game of the series.  If there's an opportunity on Friday to gain an edge for Saturday and Sunday.  Nobody is doing anything untoward as far as trying to injure anyone else like going in spikes up or throwing at batters' heads or anything like that.

Don't like it?  Do a better job of shutting the opponent down.

It's rare, but there have been 7, 8 run comebacks..........sometimes even more.   

Remember Brian Dozier whining that an Oriole player bunted to get on base when the Twins were up 7-0?   This was not a no-hitter, it was just a shutout.     Hated him ever since that.