2022 MLB (non-Tigers) catch all thread

gehringer_2

32 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Today has a huge potential to get ugly in New York.   So the announcement needs to be made and MLB needs to make sure the fans know that if one thing, just one thing, gets thrown on the field today, it's a forfeit.  

The easy way to cut this kind of thing of is cut off beer sales a couple innings earlier until things calm down. This kind of stuff is almost always EtOH driven. 

Edited by gehringer_2

51 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

The easy way to cut this kind of thing of is cut off beer sales a couple innings earlier until things calm down. This kind of stuff is almost always EtOH driven. 

Remember in 1984 when they banned selling alcohol in the bleachers?  (And even closed the bleachers for a period of time).  When they reopened them, they only served L.A. (low alcohol) beer.

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Today has a huge potential to get ugly in New York.   So the announcement needs to be made and MLB needs to make sure the fans know that if one thing, just one thing, gets thrown on the field today, it's a forfeit.  

Good on the Yankee players for going out there to show their disdain for what was going on.

10 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Kyle Schwarber is definitely up there with George Brett now in the pantheon of losing your shit during a game.

the difference is that Brett was wrong (stupid rule but he had violated it) and Schwarber is right! Good for him. 

I have to say it didn't look completely spontaneous though - like maybe he had been stewing over it from before that at bat - the gestures were so well thought out - he was so careful to not contact Hernandez and he terminated the display and walked off without restraint.....

The question is what will the league do? He didn't touch the ump, he didn't require restraint, he left the field after being ejected. If they suspend him it's a pure admission they can't tolerate a little truth because he didn't violate any rules other than arguing balls and strikes and getting ejected.

Edited by gehringer_2

8 hours ago, chasfh said:

Kyle Schwarber is definitely up there with George Brett now in the pantheon of losing your shit during a game.

I had it on in the background.  Around the 7th or 8th inning, the ESPN broadcast crew noted a definite shrinking of the strike zone when Milwaukee was pitching, which was accompanied by chirping from that dugout.  And then the discussion about consistency being more important than perhaps and more wiggle room on one batter's box side or the other, or calling lower strikes.

Now that I think about it, earlier in the game Jean Segura (PHI) took considerable exception to a pitch up & in that was out of the zone but called a strike.  Eric Lauer went back to the same spot because, as the broadcast crew mentioned, hey, it was a strike on the pitch before it, go after it again.

Should be a fun strike zone report card to review.

43 minutes ago, casimir said:

I had it on in the background.  Around the 7th or 8th inning, the ESPN broadcast crew noted a definite shrinking of the strike zone when Milwaukee was pitching, which was accompanied by chirping from that dugout.  And then the discussion about consistency being more important than perhaps and more wiggle room on one batter's box side or the other, or calling lower strikes.

Now that I think about it, earlier in the game Jean Segura (PHI) took considerable exception to a pitch up & in that was out of the zone but called a strike.  Eric Lauer went back to the same spot because, as the broadcast crew mentioned, hey, it was a strike on the pitch before it, go after it again.

Should be a fun strike zone report card to review.

Or it wil get buried like Moscoso’s the other night…..🙈🙉🙊

5 minutes ago, oblong said:

I didn't think that particular pitch was bad but it's Angel so it's a build up.  Like Laimbeer's "foul" on Kareem in 1988.

What made it bad was the the strike zone was morphing around all game, as it does with Angel and as was noted by the announcers; and also, it was a 3-2 count with one out in the ninth and Schwarber’s team down a run.

1 hour ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I have a theory on why Angel Hernandez still even has a job.    He sued because he wasn't getting postseason assignments (those typically go to the highest-rated umpires according to players, and Angel was usually the lowest or in the bottom 2 with C.B. Bucknor).  He sued based on a claim that he wasn't getting the gigs because he's Cuban.  You know, I know and even Angel knows that's ridiculous, but I think Angel may have felt he was about to be forced out and now he filed the lawsuit (even though it got thrown out) it would look like a punitive firing by MLB, therefore they keep him. 

I love how they finally gave him a postseason gig and in one game he was overturned on 3 out of 4 challenges.  

Why does it seem like umpires are like Supreme Court Justices and they are there for life?   I love these stats on Umps now........does MLB measure stats - and if they do, can they FINALLY get rid of this bastard?   He's not old enough to force into retirement yet, but something has to be done.  This guy's a clown.  

4 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I have a theory on why Angel Hernandez still even has a job.    He sued because he wasn't getting postseason assignments (those typically go to the highest-rated umpires according to players, and Angel was usually the lowest or in the bottom 2 with C.B. Bucknor).  He sued based on a claim that he wasn't getting the gigs because he's Cuban.  You know, I know and even Angel knows that's ridiculous, but I think Angel may have felt he was about to be forced out and now he filed the lawsuit (even though it got thrown out) it would look like a punitive firing by MLB, therefore they keep him. 

I love how they finally gave him a postseason gig and in one game he was overturned on 3 out of 4 challenges.  

Why does it seem like umpires are like Supreme Court Justices and they are there for life?   I love these stats on Umps now........does MLB measure stats - and if they do, can they FINALLY get rid of this bastard?   He's not old enough to force into retirement yet, but something has to be done.  This guy's a clown.  

2 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

77%..............WOW.     Does he have to take a shit and can't wait and has to get the game over quickly?   

My theory is that the owners are colluding on switching to robot ball/strike umps and Angel is being used as their scapegoat (being payed handsomely under the table).

• Like 1

Unsurprisingly, when we look at umpires who have called 60 or more games at the plate across the past six-plus seasons, we see that Angel Hernandez is in the bottom third for accuracy.

I'm sure you'll recognize lots of other old-timey names on the list, too. Consistent with research we've all seen showing younger umpires are much more accurate calling to the basic strike zone than older umpires.

image.thumb.png.1d341ac6b111fe961805c8f3d25829e9.png

• Like 1

To me its all about consistency, sure I would prefer every call be accurate but if you're going to miss or call a certain pitch a strike make sure you call it that the whole game.

Like if you're giving a couple inches off the plate a strike fine go ahead as long as it's to both teams and called that the whole night so the batters and pitchers can adjust. It's just the times you call it a strike then the next ab its called a ball that bothers me and I would assume the players as well. 

17 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

With a robot ump, would players have to pose with their stance for measurements or will it be based on their reported height.    You can't have an equal vertical strike zone for players who are 6'5" and 5'10".   The plate width is not debatable.  

I was wondering that too. Kris Bryant has a much lower strike zone than his height would suggest, so i will be interested to see how that manage to that.