2022 MLB (non-Tigers) catch all thread

gehringer_2

The case could be fairly made that Tim Anderson may be overreacting some to the comment, resulting in what some would call “playing the race card”, but by the same token, Donaldson was out of line by playing the “I-was-just-joking” card. That’s the kind of joke that works only among friends, and nobody would make the mistake of characterizing Donaldson and Anderson as being friends.

That said, of course there’s a racial component here that can’t be dismissed by claiming there’s a race card being played. Other things being equal, a black player who has been Anderson’s friend might be able to get away with jokingly calling him “Jackie”, which would probably still make Anderson unhappy, whereas a white player who has been Anderson’s friend could not get away with it, and might even be jeopardizing the friendship by saying it.

Is it fair that a black friend could get away with such a comment whereas a white friend could not? That’s a hypothetical question that doesn’t matter in the least. In the real world, especially in the real America, race matters, we have to be sensitive to that if we want people to think we’re cool, and we ignore all that at our peril.

There are cameras everywhere at ballparks.  I am sure that they can figure out who is throwing things onto the field.   Happened in the Giants-Padres game yesterday in SF when fans were throwing things (including plastic bottles & baseballs) at Jurickson Profar of the Padres. 

Make the announcement during the game and publicize it in the local media.  If it happens again, we'll be able to see who is doing it, and you will be banned for life from the park - not only that, but if you do it again, alcohol sales will be banned for the entire outfield sections, as well as the kiosks near those sections and you'll have to walk to the other side of the stadium to get your $16 beer.   Then outfield netting will be put up in front of the offending section - and your name will be publicized and you will be given full credit for the changes.  If you think that's worth becoming famous, understand, that people will hate you and harass you constantly.      Nothing sadder than watching home run balls get caught in a net instead of into the fans.   I understand why they have it in Toledo (don't want a car to get hit), but at a Major League park it would be embarrassing.   

Fan behavior in sports has gotten totally out of hand.  It's always just a small group of people doing it, but it ruins it for everyone and drastic changes will have to be made.     

Another indication that our society is falling completely apart. 

I don't go to NFL games anyone because watching at home is a much better experience.  Last game I went to at Ford Field several fights broke out.  Morons.  ADWB   Angry Drunk White Boys - angry about what?  If you can afford an NFL ticket, you're doing alright.     

If I see someone throw a battery or bottle onto the field at a baseball game, you can bet I'm snitching on them.  

21 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

not only that, but if you do it again, alcohol sales will be banned for the entire outfield sections, as well as the kiosks near those sections and you'll have to walk to the other side of the stadium to get your $16 beer.   

I've always hated the attitude of making thousands of people pay the price for several obnoxious drunks. If you can see who's doing it with the cameras, deal with them. But don't penalize the whole crowd.

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

The case could be fairly made that Tim Anderson may be overreacting some to the comment, resulting in what some would call “playing the race card”, but by the same token, Donaldson was out of line by playing the “I-was-just-joking” card. That’s the kind of joke that works only among friends, and nobody would make the mistake of characterizing Donaldson and Anderson as being friends.

That said, of course there’s a racial component here that can’t be dismissed by claiming there’s a race card being played. Other things being equal, a black player who has been Anderson’s friend might be able to get away with jokingly calling him “Jackie”, which would probably still make Anderson unhappy, whereas a white player who has been Anderson’s friend could not get away with it, and might even be jeopardizing the friendship by saying it.

Is it fair that a black friend could get away with such a comment whereas a white friend could not? That’s a hypothetical question that doesn’t matter in the least. In the real world, especially in the real America, race matters, we have to be sensitive to that if we want people to think we’re cool, and we ignore all that at our peril.

There’s some context specific to this incident that you are leaving out which plays a big role here.   If there’s no prior beef from last year between Donaldson and the Sox, none of this ever happens.    Anderson is making a big deal because he hates Donaldson and not because he felt like a victim of racism.     He’s not being honest if he says otherwise.   

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

Yup, there are jokes that are totally OK among friends that don't work for outsiders and this seems like one of them.  

Donaldson is trying to play it off like it was a joke between acquaintances, but I think it was a dig at Tim for comparing himself, in any way, to Jackie Robinson.  I don't think it was a racially motivated dig, but simply a gtfo with that type of comparison dig.  

3 hours ago, Hongbit said:

There’s some context specific to this incident that you are leaving out which plays a big role here.   If there’s no prior beef from last year between Donaldson and the Sox, none of this ever happens.    Anderson is making a big deal because he hates Donaldson and not because he felt like a victim of racism.     He’s not being honest if he says otherwise.   

Disagree that race plays no part in this.

8 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

Paredes with a 3 run bomb today. We gave up on him because he didn't have any power and kept Lugo around forever because of the "sound of the ball off his bat ". Diito Goodrum and Willie Castro.....

No, we gave up on him because he was blocked and had younger guys in the lower minors at his position.  But most importantly, we were able to upgrade our OF and lineup in Meadows.  

2 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

No, we gave up on him because he was blocked and had younger guys in the lower minors at his position.  But most importantly, we were able to upgrade our OF and lineup in Meadows.  

Yes it looks like there is going to be a "gave up on Paredes" narrative that ignores trading him for a good player at a position of need.  Also worth noting, his OBP is .265.

Nobody gave up on him, he simply was blocked by better baseball players.  

35 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Yes it looks like there is going to be a "gave up on Paredes" narrative that ignores trading him for a good player at a position of need.  Also worth noting, his OBP is .265.

Heaven forbid they eventually trade a young pitcher for a hitter and the pitcher has a decent career...

43 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

I think it was a matter as seeing an opportunity to get another player at a position of greater need.  Meadows will eventually start hitting for power and they still have him for two more prime years after this.  

48 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Not to mention the whole "maybe the Rays knew Austin Meadows had vertigo" narrative that seems to be popping up as well. Just stupid stuff.

I'm happy for Paredes and wish him great success, but it was still the right trade to make in that moment. Unfortunately for us, it's 2022, and guys wearing the Old English D have found creative ways to end up on the IL.

Edited by mtutiger

Rob Manfred just announced that every player who called Carlton Fisk "Pudge" will be retroactively suspended for fat-shaming, including Fisk himself.      Fuck you Tim Anderson, I already hated you but now you made me take sides with Josh Donaldson?    There's a difference between someone busting your balls (based on your own proclamation) and someone being racist, but maybe it's just that you can flap your gob at others but can't take it when it's done to you.    Now that Brett Gardner's gone, you are #1 now.    If the Yankees don't dot you the next time you step to the plate, they are cowards. 

It's getting harder to watch the game itself,  changing game balls, using humidors, the shift, the stupid rules, our team sucking..........tough enough to compete with some much other material out there, but it's worse when you kill yourself, baseball.     Manfred is the worst of the four big sports and it's not even close.  

29 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Wow

LOL - beautiful

Of course, another example of how useless MLB scoring now is, neither Segura at 2B nor Realmuto at C have been charged with an error as per the live box score but the CF has been. Has to be an error on Segura - perfectly catchable ball that even hit his glove. Not a good throw to get the runner, but no reason not to catch it.

12 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

LOL - beautiful

Of course, another example of how useless MLB scoring now is, neither Segura at 2B nor Realmuto at C have been charged with an error as per the live box score but the CF has been. Has to be an error on Segura - perfectly catchable ball that even hit his glove. Not a good throw to get the runner, but no reason not to catch it.

It definitely should have been double errors on Segura and Herrera, but only Herrera got dinged for one.

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

It definitely should have been double errors on Segura and Herrera, but only Herrera got dinged for one.

Was actually a game at the old ballpark in the Tiger bad old days (late 70's?) and witnessed one of those. Against Toronto. Jay on 1st. Bunt laid down. Pitcher threw it away to 1st. RF picked it up and threw it away past 3rd. Run in and man on third on a bunt. 🤣😭

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Was actually a game at the old ballpark in the Tiger bad old days (late 70's?) and witnessed one of those. Against Toronto. Jay on 1st. Bunt laid down. Pitcher threw it away to 1st. RF picked it up and threw it away past 3rd. Run in and man on third on a bunt. 🤣😭

Almost a Little League Home Run!