2022 MLB (non-Tigers) catch all thread

gehringer_2

On 6/6/2022 at 12:11 PM, Motor City Sonics said:

I'm just saying if you are going to use Jesus, use Jesus correctly.   Jesus was about love and acceptance, for everyone, not just certain people.    Don't hide behind the messenger while ignoring the message.  

There is a difference between love and acceptance of an individual and, on the other hand, condoning or endorsing the actions of the person. To wear the uniform was most likely seen as condoning, or being supportive of, a behavior that the Ray’s player didn’t agree with. Much about nothing. That both sides respected the other, very commendable. 

Edited by 1776

32 minutes ago, 1776 said:

There is a difference between love and acceptance of an individual and, on the other hand, condoning or endorsing the actions of the person. To wear the uniform was most likely seen as condoning, or being supportive of, a behavior that the Ray’s player didn’t agree with. Much about nothing. That both sides respected the other, very commendable. 

The behavior in this case defines the person.  

On 6/5/2022 at 8:15 PM, Motor City Sonics said:

Some Tampa Bay Rays players won't wear the Pride uniforms.   Their spokesman Jason Adam said their decision was based on religion

" explicitly saying that the group didn't want to "encourage" the "lifestyle" of LGBTQ+ people due to their personal belief in Jesus.

I'm not a religious guy myself, but didn't Jesus teach to love others, even those who don't love you, even those you don't understand?    I'm pretty sure that's the general message he tried to get across (according to what I've heard).     Seems lost on Christians, doesn't it. 

Hide behind religion all you want, you're a bigot, period. 

I don't know why MLB teams need to have Pride uniforms, probably just to sell more merch,  but Jason Adam (Nebraska), Jalen Beeks (Arkansas), Jeffrey Springs (North Carolina) and Ryan Thompson (Texas) are showing their true bigoted colors and using religion to do it.   

By the way,  Jeffrey Springs and Jalen Beeks throw left-handed....................Left handed people were (very recently) cited as sinister and against God.   Many of the same statements said about homosexuals today were almost identically said about left-handed people, in some cases, in the last 100 years.     

Pray on that.  

I would suggest you study the Bible a little closer. There is a difference between "loving" someone and endorsing a sinful lifestyle as descibed by Jesus. He was the one that threw the money changers out of the temple. If you refuse to accept Jesus (and his rules) you have no place with Him.

• Thanks 1

On 6/6/2022 at 9:51 AM, Tiger337 said:

Jesus never said anything about homosexuality or LGBTQ (or whatever the acronym is now).  I don't think people were even aware of different sexual identities back then.  Jesus preached kindness and treating all people with respect.  You can argue about whether sexual identity should be taught in school and at what age, but it's not Christian to marginalize people who are different from you.  If Jason Adam thinks he is superior to other people based on his identity that makles him a bigot.  

Wrong Tiger337. Jesus did say that homosexuality is a sin. Start with John 1:1. If you don't get it, send me a message.

On 6/6/2022 at 10:38 AM, gehringer_2 said:

this is veering toward what should go in the political forum, but Lee is right, the modern, largely American Christian fixation on sex is not even biblical, either OT or NT. It's just old pre-cultural prejudices and superstitions syncretized over centuries into the RCC and from there into American evangelicalism.  Homosexuality is not a 'lifestyle.' Most gay couples I know live just like everybody else and their relationships are just as stable and faithful to their spouses as the average hetero so even talking about LGBT as a 'lifestyle' shows education is lacking.

Sorry gehringer, you are way off base. It is very much biblical and has been "Christian" ever since creation. As far as living like other people, I live next door to "married" homosexual guys. They are indeed good citizens. There lifestye is a sin as indicated by the Bible. Leviticus 18:22, 20:13

31 minutes ago, Ancient Fan said:

I would suggest you study the Bible a little closer. There is a difference between "loving" someone and endorsing a sinful lifestyle as descibed by Jesus. He was the one that threw the money changers out of the temple. If you refuse to accept Jesus (and his rules) you have no place with Him.

wearing a patch to acknowledge some of your fans is not endorsing a lifestyle.  Sometimes certain Christians can be the biggest snowflakes around.  

On 6/6/2022 at 6:38 PM, Tigermojo said:

Racists used to be proud, but now nobody wants to admit it. My neighbor is as alt right as you can get but he's not racist, it's just those brown people.... Those darn Nazis ruined alt right extremism for everyone.

Sodomy is a sin in the bible because the Romans were in power and they were open about all forms of sexuality including pedophilia. Christians didn't want their oppressive rules so of course they preached anti Roman values. The Romans are the bad guys in the bible until they embraced christianity. The bible is anti Roman propaganda.

For 2000 years, the new testament was the guide for living a good life. The problem is that humans are fallible and choose which actions to take and which beliefs are important. Now we have a new source of information called the internet. On the internet, all of these groups who have been oppressed for the past 2000 years by Christians now have a voice. Information on slavery, colonization, sexuality and different religions are all available for the world to see and the alt right hates it because for 2000 years they created their own white oppressive empire and how dare anyone disagree with them.

History repeats itself. The oppressed become the oppressers because fear and hate are easier than empathy.

I would love to discuss this philosophy with you outside this forum. :-)

52 minutes ago, Ancient Fan said:

Wrong Tiger337. Jesus did say that homosexuality is a sin. Start with John 1:1. If you don't get it, send me a message.

Let's see ... John 1:1 ... ah, yes, here it is:

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Nope. Nothing about homosexuality.