2022 MLB (non-Tigers) catch all thread

gehringer_2

10 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I like the city connect uniforms but I'm not a baseball traditionalist per se. Like I don't care if teams even with classic uniforms like the Tigers, Yankees and Dodgers mix it up for a few games a year with something different. I don't like how the NBA does it though where it seems like the teams where their city connect jerseys nearly as much as they do their regular ones including still in the playoffs. Also changing the court to match the unis every time they wear them makes the franchise lose their identity even further. 

Basically If teams just wear them a few times a year for a special occasion I'm cool with it.

I don’t know if it’s an old-man problem, or a generational difference, or what it is. I suppose if they’d come out with these when I was in school, I would have liked them better. I did like the Swingin’ A’s uniforms at the time, when they were the only team wearing colors, but then, I was 11 at the time, and I also like any color and gold as a combination. I don’t remember being so smitten with the Indians’ blood clot unis a few years later. I just like the clean, crisp look of a white home jersey with the right kind of logo and font, especially cursive names along the front.

I don’t mind the NBA city connects at all, but then, I don’t really care about the history of the NBA, either. I don’t view the NBA itself as being too concerned with celebrating its own history, anyway.

I tend to jump around to different games rather that watch the Tigers for three hours and it seems as if every night some team is wearing a special uniform.  It is confusing and I don't like it.  The uniform is part of team identification and if they change it all the time that gets lost. Like Chasfh said, I prefer the traditional whites with an easily identifiable logo or team name font.  That doesn't mean every team has to have that traditional white uniform.  Some teams can be a little different, but I like to see consistency.  If they choose a blue uniform, wear that uniform every day for several years.  I think it's OK to mix it up for a limited number of games each year, but those alternate uniforms should be related to baseball history.  The Negro League uniforms are good and occasional throw back uniforms are good.    

Situation: 2 Men On, 2 Out, Bot 7th, Baltimore up 2-1, Lance Lynn wavering having thrown over 100 pitches, White Sox pitching coach Ethan Katz at the mound for a visit.

Orioles Announcer Kevin Brown: "So, is this a wise move to stay with Lynn here versus a pitching change?"

Orioles Color Commentator Jim Palmer: "Probably not."

Result: Infield Single, HBP, Pitching Change (Jose Ruiz), Bases clearing double, 6-1 Orioles

More brilliant managing from Tony L

Edited by mtutiger
  • Haha 1

On 6/25/2022 at 4:34 PM, mtutiger said:

Situation: 2 Men On, 2 Out, Bot 7th, Baltimore up 2-1, Lance Lynn wavering having thrown over 100 pitches, White Sox pitching coach Ethan Katz at the mound for a visit.

Orioles Announcer Kevin Brown: "So, is this a wise move to stay with Lynn here versus a pitching change?"

Orioles Color Commentator Jim Palmer: "Probably not."

Result: Infield Single, HBP, Pitching Change (Jose Ruiz), Bases clearing double, 6-1 Orioles

More brilliant managing from Tony L

Is it really TLR’s fault that these kids today suck so much they can’t even throw complete games like the old days?

8 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Tigers killer Carlos Santana traded from the Royals to Mariners. Not sure how many times we have the Mariners left but I'm sure it's alot less than the Royals so that's a good thing. 

Oh don't worry, they'll be replacing him soon enough with future Tiger Killer Vinnie Pasquantino.

So JV will be 40 years old in February of 2023. He's at 235 career wins right now. Being conservative, give him 10 more wins this season. 245 career wins at 39 years old. And he's pitching at a Cy Young level. Can he make it to 300 career wins? 2 or 3 more seasons? 42/43 years old? I bet he does it, if he stays healthy.

18 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

So JV will be 40 years old in February of 2023. He's at 235 career wins right now. Being conservative, give him 10 more wins this season. 245 career wins at 39 years old. And he's pitching at a Cy Young level. Can he make it to 300 career wins? 2 or 3 more seasons? 42/43 years old? I bet he does it, if he stays healthy.

Would put nothing passed him at this point. He just got done spinning another gem against the Mets today going 8 innings of 2 hit 0 run baseball, lowers his ERA to 2.02 on the season to go along with a .83 WHIP.  Doesn't have the top end on his FB like he used to but still is averaging 95mph on it and can top out at 98 to go along with 90% spin rate. Just a freak of nature. 

35 minutes ago, ben9753 said:

Question is if he’ll go into the hall as aTiger or Astro 

If he stays with the Astros for a few more years then he'll probably go in as an Astro.  If he signs with another team after the season,then I'd guess he'd go in as a Tiger. It doesn't really matter to me. I'll be happy to see him make it either way.  I see the HoF as a player avhievement.

Just now, Tiger337 said:

If he stays with the Astros for a few more years then he'll probably go in as an Astro.  If he signs with another team after the season,then I'd guess he'd go in as a Tiger. It doesn't really matter to me. I'll be happy to see him make it either way.  I see the HoF as a player avhievement.

he'll go in as a tiger.  guaranteed.

btw, report from france:

lots of tigers' hats.  the old english D is pretty popular.  stores would have tigers, yankees, red sox, dodgers stuff.  and not on tourists either.

good to see the tigers hat representin' in the home of high fashion.

9 minutes ago, buddha said:

he'll go in as a tiger.  guaranteed.

Why is that?  If he plays 8 years with the Astros with at least one World Series I can see him going in as an Astro.  I don't care either way.  I will still remember him as a Tiger.  

10 minutes ago, buddha said:

btw, report from france:

lots of tigers' hats.  the old english D is pretty popular.  stores would have tigers, yankees, red sox, dodgers stuff.  and not on tourists either.

good to see the tigers hat representin' in the home of high fashion.

That's because it's a great cap.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

With Ohtani heating up offensively, we're back to last year's MVP conversation.

I don't care what Petriello says, if things continue on this course, Judge should win and it shouldn't be close.

Judge would win at this point.  As far who SHOULD win, I think it's very close.