2022 MLB (non-Tigers) catch all thread

gehringer_2

It’s amazing how hard it is for an error to be called these days, even when the visiting team is at bat. In the top of the 5th inning, down 14-3, the Red Sox got the first two Blue Jays out. A few batters later, a high pop up between the mound and plate that would have ended the inning dropped among 3 Red Sox players. Was scored a hit. Jays went on to score 11 runs that inning, all earned. 

20 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

It’s amazing how hard it is for an error to be called these days, even when the visiting team is at bat. In the top of the 5th inning, down 14-3, the Red Sox got the first two Blue Jays out. A few batters later, a high pop up between the mound and plate that would have ended the inning dropped among 3 Red Sox players. Was scored a hit. Jays went on to score 11 runs that inning, all earned. 

i've said it before - just let all the official scorers go - they no longer serve any useful purpose. They can use all the 'E' fields on scoreboards for the impending pitch clock counter.

Edited by gehringer_2

13 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Brian Kenny on MLB Network has been waging a campaign against the error for a few years now. His thing is, if the batter puts the bat on the ball and gets on base, it should be credited as a hit, because he did what he was supposed to do.

I think errors should be treated like HBPs.  The batter shouldn't get credit for a hit, but should not be charged  with an out when he got on base.  It's analagous to a HBP because the batter reaches base mostly by accident and not because  of skill.  

21 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

i've said it before - just let all the official scorers go - they no longer serve any useful purpose. They can use all the 'E' fields on scoreboards for the impending pitch clock counter.

True, they don't really serve a purpose.  A hitter should be penalized for "making an error", but there are other ways to do that especially when they have cameras tracking everything and can calculate the probability that a play is made.  

6 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I think errors should be treated like HBPs.  The batter shouldn't get credit for a hit, but should not be charged  with an out when he got on base.  It's analagous to a HBP because the batter reaches base mostly by accident and not because  of skill.  

It can be an accident when a pitcher loses control and hits a batter with a pitch, but there’s also some skill by the batter to getting hit by the pitch, which is why the same players tend to be on the HBP leaderboards year after year.

Edited by chasfh

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

It can be an accident when a pitcher loses control and hits a pitch, but there’s also some skill to getting hit by the pitch, which is why the same players tend to be on the HBP leaderboards year after year.

I just looked that up and it is more of a skill than I realized at lerast for the top guys. Is reaching on base via error also a skill?  Studies have not been conclusive, but hitting a lot of gound balls and being fast most likely increases your probability.    

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

but there’s also some skill by the batter to getting hit by the pitch, which is why the same players tend to be on the HBP leaderboards year after year.

how do you separate that from guy who just stands close to the plate and don't know how to get out of the way? We have certainly seen a lot of hitters come through the Tiger org in recent years who never learned how to bail correctly.

OTOH, Don Baylor did make a skill out of leaning in and getting hit on the thick part of his shoulder.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

Ground ball hitters also tend to reach base on error more often.  

this make sense since there is almost nothing other than a ball off the glove that can generate an error on a ball hit to the OF in the air. You can stand there and let a fly ball fall next to you in the OF and it's still a hit.

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

This old, but there is some interesting info on reaching base via error here:

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/article/1167/aim-for-the-head-more-reaching-on-errors/

The leaders have a strong tendancy to be RHB presumably because they hit the ball to the left side more.  

Ground ball hitters also tend to reach base on error more often.  

To Randy's point, fast runners really are 'responsible' for a lot of hurried left side IF throwing errors, so maybe it would be fair they get some kind of credit. But then you'd have to divide catching and throwing errors into separate classes, which I'd be OK with.

57 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

how do you separate that from guy who just stands close to the plate and don't know how to get out of the way? We have certainly seen a lot of hitters come through the Tiger org in recent years who never learned how to bail correctly.

OTOH, Don Baylor did make a skill out of leaning in and getting hit on the thick part of his shoulder.

Standing close to the plate and leaning in on the pitch in the right way are a part of the skill set of getting HBP often. See Rizzo, Anthony.

On 7/24/2022 at 12:43 PM, chasfh said:

Standing close to the plate and leaning in on the pitch in the right way are a part of the skill set of getting HBP often. See Rizzo, Anthony.

On a similar note, I remember several years back FG or ESPN ran a piece about Jacoby Ellsbury and his "Skill" of getting on base via catcher's interference. I can't remember the exact number but it was a crazy number compared to everybody else. IIRC they basically chalked it up to his swing path, like if he was down in the count and in a dire situation to get on base he would often bring his bat so far back with the sole intention of hitting the catcher's glove and getting the interference call. 

17 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

On a similar note, I remember several years back FG or ESPN ran a piece about Jacoby Ellsbury and his "Skill" of getting on base via catcher's interference. I can't remember the exact number but it was a crazy number compared to everybody else. IIRC they basically chalked it up to his swing path, like if he was down in the count and in a dire situation to get on base he would often bring his bat so far back with the sole intention of hitting the catcher's glove and getting the interference call. 

That's interesting. That might be a skill as far as it goes, but it is also treated like a fielder's error and is credited as an unearned run if he scores.

20 minutes ago, chasfh said:

"There was never going to be a deal"? Wow. now I want to know what's behind that statement.

I think it's simply that Passan has trended more and more pro-player and there's a feeling from MLBPA (who is far more his source than the League) that the owners never actually wanted to get something done. I'd wager that's the long and short of it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, microline133 said:

I think it's simply that Passan has trended more and more pro-player and there's a feeling from MLBPA (who is far more his source than the League) that the owners never actually wanted to get something done. I'd wager that's the long and short of it.

I seem to remember the two sides traded proposals on the international draft, so it looked, at least for a while, as though Baseball was on board with it.

Edited by chasfh

I saw an interesting suggestion today about eliminating the regular draft and instead making it a free for all with each team getting a budget based on their records last year.  I believe that would be a way to give weaker teams a chance to get better while still rewarding organizations with good talent evaluation.  I know this will never happen, but I think I like it.  

11 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

I'm happy that there isn't a draft even though the Tigers have not thrived in scouting and signing international players.  It is more interesting to me to see that the teams who are good at talent evaluation get rewarded for it.

I agree with this outside of the seedy side of things which is more of why I would prefer a draft it would stop/slow down some of the corruption that happens with the current system.

PHOENIX -- The D-backs' first-round pick (second overall) in the 2022 MLB Draft, outfielder Druw Jones, injured his left (non-throwing) shoulder while taking batting practice Monday at the club's Salt River Fields facility.

"He was just taking BP," D-backs farm director Josh Barfield said. "It was his first workout, and he was in his last round of BP on the field. On his second to last swing he just felt something in his shoulder. It didn’t take him to his knees or anything like that, he just said he felt something."

Jones, in fact, was going to proceed to the outfield to do his defensive work, but the D-backs decided to take the cautious route and immediately sent him for an MRI, which showed the injury.

Jones will see team physician Gary Waslewski on Wednesday to determine the extent of the injury and what the next steps will be.

It's possible that Jones will need surgery, but that won't be known for sure until he's seen by Waslewski. Regardless, it appears that Jones will not play again this year.