2022 MLB (non-Tigers) catch all thread

gehringer_2

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Despite us beating them in 68 and losing to them in 06 I never really had an ill feelings towards the Cardinals, in fact I always respected them as an organization, I don't openly root for them or anything but I don't root against them either.

have to respect the organization--they always seem relevant.

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Despite us beating them in 68 and losing to them in 06 I never really had an ill feelings towards the Cardinals, in fact I always respected them as an organization, I don't openly root for them or anything but I don't root against them either.

It isn't the Cardinals so much, but two of their best offensive players that think they know more than doctors and scientists and have decided to skip the trip instead of being good teammates and just getting vaccinated.     Their choice, but their anti-vax reasoning is probably based in some kind of conspiracy belief or political stance.  People like this continue to hold us back overall.    Selfish.     

The reason I want Tyler Bertuzzi traded.   Every other NHL player has gotten the vaccine.  Have any died?    Of course, his traded value is diminished as he can't be traded to any Canadian team and teams that have a lot of games in Canada wouldn't trade nearly enough to make it a fair trade.   Again, Selfish.  

Hey, I lost co-workers at both jobs over this.    One of them still can't get a job a year later and is whining about benefits running out soon.    But.......hey, you know..........reasons. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Motor City Sonics said:

It isn't the Cardinals so much, but two of their best offensive players that think they know more than doctors and scientists and have decided to skip the trip instead of being good teammates and just getting vaccinated.     Their choice, but their anti-vax reasoning is probably based in some kind of conspiracy belief or political stance.  People like this continue to hold us back overall.    Selfish.     

The reason I want Tyler Bertuzzi traded.   Every other NHL player has gotten the vaccine.  Have any died?    Of course, his traded value is diminished as he can't be traded to any Canadian team and teams that have a lot of games in Canada wouldn't trade nearly enough to make it a fair trade.   Again, Selfish.  

Hey, I lost co-workers at both jobs over this.    One of them still can't get a job a year later and is whining about benefits running out soon.    But.......hey, you know..........reasons. 

Gotcha,I didn't even think of that, lol I thought it was kinda random to just make a post about them losing a regular season series to the Jays. I just thought maybe you really hated them.

9 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Gotcha,I didn't even think of that, lol I thought it was kinda random to just make a post about them losing a regular season series to the Jays. I just thought maybe you really hated them.

No, not at all.  Sat near some Cards fans for Game 2 in 2006 and they were really nice.  

Arenado and Goldschmidt didn't make the trip.  Because reasons. 

37 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Not to get into this too much, but some of us had people we know experience confirmed vax effects.  My aunt got blood clots within a week that was confirmed to the vax.  My uncle had the same.  My mother's cousin suffered paralysis that he still hasn't recovered from over a year later and may never come back within days of getting the vax so he could go on a mission trip.  All of those were confirmed by the doctors directly related to the vax.  

Also, my best friend from high school with no known heart issues had a heart attack at age 47 within a month of getting the shot.  Then in June 2021, my mentor and partner in one business died of a heart attack a month after getting the vax at age 60 with no previous conditions.  Those 2 were not confirmed to be caused by the vaccination.

My point is, people have various reasons for not getting the vaccination and the science definitely isn't settled on it in either way.  There are consequences for not getting it, but I will never wish ill will on anyone for either not getting it or getting it.

Edited by 4hzglory

9 minutes ago, 4hzglory said:

the science definitely isn't settled on it in either way. 

disagree here. The 'science' is completely settled. What remains is that nothing in life is absolute - but that is true of *everything*. It's true every time you walk out the door of your house, get in your car, step off the curb. The 'science' is that the COVID vaccine represents no excess risk compared to virtually anything else we do in life everyday. You might as well decide to refuse to drive or take any of the drugs in your medicine cabinet, eat a vegetable, or go for walk. Any of these things might hurt you because of some odd confluence of rare circumstances, but they are risks we normally assume because otherwise life is paralysis. The COVID vaccine is exactly the same in that regard.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

disagree here. The 'science' is completely settled. What remains is that nothing in life is absolute - but that is true of *everything*. It's true every time you walk out the door of your house, get in your car, step off the curb. The 'science' is that the COVID vaccine represents no excess risk compared to virtually anything else we do in life everyday. You might as well decide to refuse to drive or take any of the drugs in your medicine cabinet, eat a vegetable, or go for walk. Any of these things might hurt you because of some odd confluence of rare circumstances, but they are risks we normally assume because otherwise life is paralysis. The COVID vaccine is exactly the same in that regard.

but they are risks we normally assume because otherwise life is paralysis.

Agree completely as is the risk of getting COVID or another virus/illness.  Each person has their own risks they are willing to take.

I don't want to get this into the political forum, was just responding to the wishing ill to teams/players that chose not to get the vaccine when we don't know what reasons they may have for it and they know the consequences it has on them and their teams.

Edited by 4hzglory
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, 4hzglory said:

Agree completely as is the risk of getting COVID or another virus/illness.  Each person has their own risks they are willing to take.

I don't want to get this into the political forum, was just responding to the wishing ill to teams/players that chose not to get the vaccine when we don't know what reasons they may have for it and they know the consequences it has on them and their teams.

I agree we should not wish bad things on people who refuse to take the vaccine.  Most people who don't take the vaccine are not being jerks.  They fail to take the vaccine mostly out of fear and ignorance.  

18 hours ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

As bad as Baez has been (he has been MUCH better lately) at least we didn't sign Kris Bryant. 

kris bryant 304/371/480

javy baez 218/279/372

i guess i'll take a hurt kris bryant.

but seriously, i wouldnt take either one for their contracts.  ah, the perils of free agency.

Aaron Judge continues to rake, hitting his 42nd bomb of the season today and now is projected to hit 67. I'm not one of those people but I know many fans still throw out all the steroid HR totals and still treat 61 as the true HR record, so if he keeps up his current pace he is going to blow by that. I wonder if the old timers will acknowledge him as the record holder or come up with some excuse so they can hang onto the old 61?

On 7/30/2022 at 5:25 PM, RandyMarsh said:

Aaron Judge continues to rake, hitting his 42nd bomb of the season today and now is projected to hit 67. I'm not one of those people but I know many fans still throw out all the steroid HR totals and still treat 61 as the true HR record, so if he keeps up his current pace he is going to blow by that. I wonder if the old timers will acknowledge him as the record holder or come up with some excuse so they can hang onto the old 61?

He's a Yankee and he's white, so it's totally legit.  

They were playing some of his iconic calls on the radio this morning and as a relatively younger person I didn't realize he called some football too and was on the call for the "the catch" the Montana to Clark TD to send SF to the SB.

Edited by RandyMarsh

Several comments from other media make note of the fact that Scully, for the most part, called games without a sidekick in the booth. One comment noted there were no “analysts” in the booth back in the day. I have seen other comments noting that Scully was comfortable with not filling the air constantly with conversation and/or talk during a game. 
Good points.