2022 MLB (non-Tigers) catch all thread

gehringer_2

5 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Several comments from other media make note of the fact that Scully, for the most part, called games without a sidekick in the booth. One comment noted there were no “analysts” in the booth back in the day. I have seen other comments noting that Scully was comfortable with not filling the air constantly with conversation and/or talk during a game. 
Good points.

Big deal—I want to know what his record was in “Pick the Stick”

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Several comments from other media make note of the fact that Scully, for the most part, called games without a sidekick in the booth. One comment noted there were no “analysts” in the booth back in the day. I have seen other comments noting that Scully was comfortable with not filling the air constantly with conversation and/or talk during a game. 
Good points.

One of Scully's great skills (and Ernie's FTM) was he could translate excitement without shouting. He'd just pitch a little higher and that was all you needed to know the action had picked up. As good as Dickerson is, that would be my one critique - he shouts into the mic too often when the action is exciting.  Scully's approach was more artful for radio.

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

One of Scully's great skills (and Ernie's FTM) was he could translate excitement without shouting. He'd just pitch a little higher and that was all you needed to know the action had picked up. As good as Dickerson is, that would be my one critique - he shouts into the mic too often when the action is exciting.  Scully's approach was more artful for radio.

Probably just style or personality, but Dan might be more a product of our times.  Subtlety is certainly not in vogue these days.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Probably just style or personality, but Dan might be more a product of our times.  Subtlety is certainly not in vogue these days.  

My only issue with Dickerson is that he never stops talking. 

7 hours ago, 1776 said:

My only issue with Dickerson is that he never stops talking. 

I don't consider how much Dickerson talks as being a negative. I like hearing the insights he provides, and I like the volume he provides. He digs deep beneath the surface and I appreciate that. I also like when he goes into discussions about the intricacies of baseball, whatever the actual topic may be, with whomever his partner might be at the moment.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

So what's up with the new ball? We've seen our hitters achieve all time lows but looking around the league there are a lot of established players having down years. There are also some players having great years. Anybody figure out an explanation for this season yet?

There are humidors in all parks now.

The worst teams this year:

Washington Nationals 36-71

Oakland Athletics 41-66

Detroit Tigers 42-65

Chicago Cubs 41-63

KC Royals 42-64

The Tigers are only 1 game better than the A's.  They are 6 games better than the Nats.  The Tigers do have a realistic chance of being the worst team this year (and a very good chance of being the worst team in the AL).