2022 MLB (non-Tigers) catch all thread

gehringer_2

2 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

I thought they stopped having players go in representing a team?

It is not really an official designation and shouldn't be a big deal  They just need to choose a team cap for the plaque and this is selected by Hall of Fame researchers.  If you go to the Hall of Fame and read the plaque of your favorite player, you will likely not notice the cap because the face and words are way more prominent.  This is probably by design as the HoF is intended to be an individual honor.  As you go to visit the other rooms (which are more interesting than the plaque room) you would surely see him represented as both an Astro and a Tiger 

• Like 1

I know the Angels suck so that's why you couldn't give it to him but if you're strictly giving it to the best player than it has to be Ohtani. Even though he is having a "down" year with the bat his OPS+ right now is higher than Miggy's career number and his ERA+ is better than JV's career.  He's giving you a HOF level bat while pitching at a HOF level pitcher, it's simply unbelievable. 

4 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I know the Angels suck so that's why you couldn't give it to him but if you're strictly giving it to the best player than it has to be Ohtani. Even though he is having a "down" year with the bat his OPS+ right now is higher than Miggy's career number and his ERA+ is better than JV's career.  He's giving you a HOF level bat while pitching at a HOF level pitcher, it's simply unbelievable. 

What Ohtani has done the last two years is historic.  It's difficult to compare the rest of the league with him.  

1 minute ago, Tiger337 said:

What Ohtani has done the last two years is historic.  It's difficult to compare the rest of the league with him.  

Yeah I don't think it's a stretch to say he is the most talented player to ever play the game. Aside from just his raw numbers but just his physical tools, his sprint speed is in the 75 percentile, his max exit velo is the tops in baseball, and his pitch velocity is in the 90 percentile. 

22 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yeah I don't think it's a stretch to say he is the most talented player to ever play the game. Aside from just his raw numbers but just his physical tools, his sprint speed is in the 75 percentile, his max exit velo is the tops in baseball, and his pitch velocity is in the 90 percentile. 

The only player that compares is Babe Ruth and he didn't have his big pitching years at the same time as his big hitting years, nor did he have Ohtani's speed.  

37 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

It is not really an official designation and shouldn't be a big deal  They just need to choose a team cap for the plaque and this is selected by Hall of Fame researchers.  If you go to the Hall of Fame and read the plaque of your favorite player, you will likely not notice the cap because the face and words are way more prominent.  This is probably by design as the HoF is intended to be an individual honor.  As you go to visit the other rooms (which are more interesting than the plaque room) you would surely see him represented as both an Astro and a Tiger 

Verlander is in the same boat is Greg Maddux (Cubs/Braves) and guys like Dave Winfield ( Padres/Yankees) even possibly Gary Carter (went in as an Expo but he wanted a Mets Cap). Best solution is no team logo since very few payers spend a majority of their career with one team anymore. 

What team would Scherzer represent if he were elected?

8 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

I know who Max would NOT represent. 
I am not sold on Verlander going in as a Tiger. I think there is a realistic chance he goes in with Houston. 

9 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

This probably only became a bigger issue after free agency and huge contracts. More players moving around. I remember Sparky went in as a Red and some Detroit fans were upset. But hopefully, JV will some day come back to Detroit. How cool would it be if he got his 300th win as a Tiger?

On 6/28/2022 at 8:21 PM, Sports_Freak said:

So JV will be 40 years old in February of 2023. He's at 235 career wins right now. Being conservative, give him 10 more wins this season. 245 career wins at 39 years old. And he's pitching at a Cy Young level. Can he make it to 300 career wins? 2 or 3 more seasons? 42/43 years old? I bet he does it, if he stays healthy.

He definitely could. Charlie Hough, Bartolo Colon, and Jamie Moyer all got more than 76 wins at age 39 and older, and Verlander is way better than they.

22 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

Verlander is in the same boat is Greg Maddux (Cubs/Braves) and guys like Dave Winfield ( Padres/Yankees) even possibly Gary Carter (went in as an Expo but he wanted a Mets Cap). Best solution is no team logo since very few payers spend a majority of their career with one team anymore. 

I have to believe it’s the “curly W”, since that’s the team he pitched the most for and had the most success with, both individually and a ring.

As of now I think Verlander will go in as a Tiger or atleast should but if he has 3 or 4 more great years with the Astros then that probably won't be the case. That would be 8 or 9 years with the Astros and 11 with us so not a major difference in time and assuming the Astros will still be good throughout that tenure he will probably have had more team success there as well and will have at the very least the same number of Cy Young awards.

Even if that all that were to happen though you could still argue for the Tigers since he did pitch more years there and unless he has monster years to close out his career will have had more WAR for us, probably one of the closer decisions for Hall of Famers ever. 

Also just want to say that one of the more low key disappointments of this failed rebuild is knowing that in all likelihood we aren't going to see our Prodigal Son Justin Verlander come home and lead us to a World Series. A year ago at this time I had hopes that we could sign him and by 2024 that could happen, that would've made him the same age as Kenny Rogers when he helped lead us to the pennant. With the trainwreck we have seen this year I think I can scrap those dreams. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

19 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Even that winning percentage is skewed cause they had a half way decent winning percentage the first couple years of his tenure with players that he didn't acquire. 

kenny williams got kicked upstairs in chicago a long time ago.  rick hahn has done the entire rebuild there.

2 minutes ago, buddha said:

kenny williams got kicked upstairs in chicago a long time ago.  rick hahn has done the entire rebuild there.

Yeah I think somebody corrected him on a couple names cause he posted a revised list. Avila of course is still at the bottom nonetheless. 

The whole voting charade is a transparent marketing scheme to get you, the MLB customer, to increase digital engagement with MLB properties in order that you can provide them with a rich trove of information about your likes and preferences so they can target you with advertising designed to generate ongoing revenue from you. That’s why they encourage you to vote the maximum number of times allowable, which is five times a day per unique email address during a 30-day period, for a total of 150 votes. The more you vote, the more you engage, the more likely you are to buy. You’re registered with them so it can’t be an anonymous vote, and they won’t accept your votes unless you log in. It’s just so unseemly.