2022 MLB (non-Tigers) catch all thread

gehringer_2

6 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

You just love to see it.....when it's not the Tigers doing it of course. 

I keep saying it, but the Twins and White Sox (for various reasons) are both flawed teams. 

Just keep trying to chip away, there's still some time

21 hours ago, chasfh said:

Let's see ... John 1:1 ... ah, yes, here it is:

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Nope. Nothing about homosexuality.

So you do agree Jesus is known as the Word according to God as read in the Bible? Next step is to read Leviticus because it is the Word of God and Leviticus says homosexuality is a sin. We really should take this discussion outside this forum.

Angel Hernandez is suing MLB again. 

Now he's saying they are using metrics as a way to keep minority umpires from becoming crew chiefs. 

I agree with him.........They are purposely using statistics to show that blind people make shitty umpires, those bastards.

He only does this to keep from getting sacked.   What a disgrace.    Take your pension and leave please.  you are the absolute best excuse for robot umpires. 

My fave is when the head umps come out and say that the zone on tv isn't accurate. Perhaps it's not 100% accurate but how do explain missed calls that the batters, catchers, pitchers and guys in the dugout all think you got wrong?

Like every one of them AND the k zone is wrong but the ump is the one that actually got it right. That's what these Umps and their representatives want you to believe. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

3 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

My fave is when the head umps come out and say that the zone on tv isn't accurate. Perhaps it's not 100% accurate but how do explain missed calls that the batters, catchers, pitchers and guys in the dugout all think you got wrong?

Like every one of them AND the k zone is wrong but the ump is the one that actually got it right. That's what these Umps and their representatives want you to believe. 

This all makes sense to me when I see it through the prism of comp for their labor. If Baseball were to take away the ball-strike responsibility from the umpires, which is probably the highest-level responsibility they have currently, an argument could be made that umpires would not need as high a level of proficiency to do the overall job, which could lead to accepting less-experienced umpires who could work for cheaper, which could work to being down overall comp eventually.

It could be fairly counterargued that the umpire’s union would protect the high comp level for their members, and I could see that being the case for this and maybe the next contract, but over time, the reduced need for highly-proficient umpires may work toward bringing down the overall quality needed, and the comp down with it.

All speculation, of course.

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

These city connect uniforms are on balance pretty dreadful, and I hope the Tigers are the last team to get one. 

I like the concept, and think a few have been well executed.  I’d like to see the Tigers lean into Motown and incorporate  “Hitsville”, though this current roster is not worthy of that moniker.

I like the city connect uniforms but I'm not a baseball traditionalist per se. Like I don't care if teams even with classic uniforms like the Tigers, Yankees and Dodgers mix it up for a few games a year with something different. I don't like how the NBA does it though where it seems like the teams where their city connect jerseys nearly as much as they do their regular ones including still in the playoffs. Also changing the court to match the unis every time they wear them makes the franchise lose their identity even further. 

Basically If teams just wear them a few times a year for a special occasion I'm cool with it.

Edited by RandyMarsh

Kinda crazy when you think about all the things that have happened in baseball in that time frame, between the expansion of the leagues, all the new ballparks, steroids, juiced ball etc. yet atleast in the AL the top HR marks remain unchanged in all that time. If you remove Maris' season then the top 4 would have been the same for 85 years now. BTW Judge is on pace to change this as last I looked I believe he's over a 60HR pace. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Kinda crazy when you think about all the things that have happened in baseball in that time frame, between the expansion of the leagues, all the new ballparks, steroids, juiced ball etc. yet atleast in the AL the top HR marks remain unchanged in all that time. If you remove Maris' season then the top 4 would have been the same for 85 years now. BTW Judge is on pace to change this as last I looked I believe he's over a 60HR pace. 

LOL. I read this and did a deep double take, I still always think of McGwire as an "A".