2022 MLB (non-Tigers) catch all thread

gehringer_2

3 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

OK, he tried to sound nice about it which is better than most are doing these days, but where did Jesus say that he discouraged homosexuality?  It sounds like Jason Adams is uncomfotable with people that have different identities than himself and is using religion to try to justify his feelings.  

I don't think they should have made them wear these uniforms. It has nothing to do with baseball and given the strong masculinity and peer pressure among most male athletes, they had to know that there would be push back.  This wasn't a good idea

I felt Adam's statement was sincere.

The Bible has 4-5 places where it talks about the sin of homosexuality (a quick Google search can provide these or I can if necessary).  The Bible is 100% God inspired and God and Jesus are the same person.

The players were not forced to wear these, they were given an option.  And from what I have read, players on both sides of the issue had no problem supporting the decisions of those on the other side.  

10 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

this is veering toward what should go in the political forum, but Lee is right, the modern, largely American Christian fixation on sex is not even biblical, either OT or NT. 

Lee is incorrect, it is 100% Biblical.  Romans 1:26-27 (NT), Leviticus 18:22 (OT), 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 (NT).  Christians are taught not to support the sin, but they are instructed to 100% love the sinner (which is all of us). 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, davidsb623 said:

Lee is incorrect, it is 100% Biblical.  Romans 1:26-27 (NT), Leviticus 18:22 (OT), 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 (NT).  Christians are taught not to support the sin, but they are instructed to 100% love the sinner (which is all of us). 

The bible has a lot of stuff. Look at your clothing. Two different materials? Then that's death for you. Probably the same for those uniforms those players wear. 

Hopefully none of their wives went to church within 33 days of giving birth. 

Stealing....damn there goes the running game.

Some of them have trimmed their beards. That's a no no

So is getting tattoos.

Or pitching on the Sabbath. 

Look the ole religion bans its argument is beyond stupid. There are a lot of rules that are in Leviticus that 98 percent of the world ignores. So why do we listen to that one? If the players are going to cite religion and then get tattoos and pich on the Sabbath then let's call them what they are hypocrites. 

10 minutes ago, KL2 said:

The bible has a lot of stuff.

Even letting Leviticus go as purely cultic,  go back to the fact that we completely ignore 8 of the 10 Commandments and even with that the only sexual 'crime' that even makes the list is not about the sex, it's about the violation of the marriage vow. Odd that so many US Christians can't find anything else to worry about. 

Projection.

Edited by gehringer_2

I did a search and read some Bible quotes about killing people if they had sex outside of marraige.  That's the kind of thing that turns people away from the Bible and religion.  My mother's home health aide once told me I am going to hell for not believing in God.  😀 Anyway, I hope that you do love all people and don't want bad things to happen to them, because I believe that's what it should be all about.  That's the last I'll say on this topic in this forum.  

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I go back to the fact that we completely ignore 8 of the 10 commandments and even with that the only sexual 'crime' that even makes the list is not about the sex, it's about the violation of the marriage vow. Odd that so many US Christians can't find anything else to worry about. 

Projection.

Christians are instructed to ignore 0 of the 10 commandments.   Homosexuality may be the current focus because it is being pushed hard on everyone right now, "either you accept it or you are wrong and a bigot!!"   

3 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I did a search and read some Bible quotes about killing people if they had sex outside of marraige.  That's the kind of thing that turns people away from the Bible and religion.  My mother's home health aide once told me I am going to hell for not believing in God.  😀 Anyway, I hope that you do love all people and don't want bad things to happen to them, because I believe that's what it should be all about.  That's the last I'll say on this topic in this forum.  

I just wanted to make sure the opposing view was represented here.  The OT definately has things I do not understand or pretend to.  But I do understand this: Jesus was asked, which commandment is most important and Jesus replied "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.  The second is this - Love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these.”  I am far from a good Christian but I do try every day to be a better person.  All walks of life have been welcomed into my home and cared for, always will be (except Ohio State fans).  

• Like 3

I don't think homosexuality is being pushed on anybody.  Many Christians think even having something around is "shoving it down our throats".  Is it endorsing something by wearing a patch?  I don't think so.  I just sense a lot of hypocrisy by certain people when they go after some forms of protest but demand acceptance when they do the same thing.

3 hours ago, davidsb623 said:

Christians are instructed to ignore 0 of the 10 commandments.   Homosexuality may be the current focus because it is being pushed hard on everyone right now, "either you accept it or you are wrong and a bigot!!"   

but when was the last time the SBC campaigned to make stores close on Sunday?

The message of the Christ was a wonderful thing, but I have come to hate what churches in the US have done to it. It stands to reason that it was a contradiction from the get go to even found an organized church in the name of preacher who spent most of his time railing against organized religion, but there's humanity for you. I've come to the point where I'll stand with what Gandhi said about it.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

The message of the Christ was a wonderful thing, but I have come to hate what churches in the US have done to it. It stands to reason that it was a contradiction from the get go to even found an organized church in the name of preacher who spent most of his time railing against organized religion, but there's humanity for you. I've come to the point where I'll stand with what Gandhi said about it.

This is how I feel.  I was never very religious, but I believe in Christian values as taught by Jesus.  I don't care much for organized religion.  I am far from having great Christian values as it's not easy being kind and tolerant all the time, but I try. 😄

Racists used to be proud, but now nobody wants to admit it. My neighbor is as alt right as you can get but he's not racist, it's just those brown people.... Those darn Nazis ruined alt right extremism for everyone.

Sodomy is a sin in the bible because the Romans were in power and they were open about all forms of sexuality including pedophilia. Christians didn't want their oppressive rules so of course they preached anti Roman values. The Romans are the bad guys in the bible until they embraced christianity. The bible is anti Roman propaganda.

For 2000 years, the new testament was the guide for living a good life. The problem is that humans are fallible and choose which actions to take and which beliefs are important. Now we have a new source of information called the internet. On the internet, all of these groups who have been oppressed for the past 2000 years by Christians now have a voice. Information on slavery, colonization, sexuality and different religions are all available for the world to see and the alt right hates it because for 2000 years they created their own white oppressive empire and how dare anyone disagree with them.

History repeats itself. The oppressed become the oppressers because fear and hate are easier than empathy.

6 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

but when was the last time the SBC campaigned to make stores close on Sunday?

A person’s relationship with his or her Savior , Jesus for me , weather Christian Jew Buddhist Muslim or other is between said individual and their God. There isn’t a need for a middleman. 

Play ball

On 6/3/2022 at 10:24 PM, gehringer_2 said:

DD probably won't be far behind. He seems to be wearing out his welcome quicker. I don't imagine too many people in Philly seriously think Joe Girardi is the reason the Phillies are 10 back.

If this same circumstances were happening 20 or more years ago, everybody would be hammering Girardi unanimously as being at fault, since he was handed all this firepower on the roster and he’d’ve considered to be blowing it, and hardly anyone would even know who the Phillies GM is.

Baseball used to be seen the manager’s game—heck, in the early professional game it was, since there were no general managers at all. Now we recognize baseball is the general manager’s game.

tl;dr: I agree.

22 minutes ago, chasfh said:

If this same circumstances were happening 20 or more years ago, everybody would be hammering Girardi unanimously as being at fault, since he was handed all this firepower on the roster and he’d’ve considered to be blowing it, and hardly anyone would even know who the Phillies GM is.

Baseball used to be seen the manager’s game—heck, in the early professional game it was, since there were no general managers at all. Now we recognize baseball is the general manager’s game.

tl;dr: I agree.

GMs and owners.