2022 MLB (non-Tigers) catch all thread

gehringer_2

1 hour ago, CMRivdogs said:

The last time I heard baseball and possum tied together was way back in the Bob Prince PBP days with Pittsburgh. He was the second guy in the booth, nicknamed Possum. The nickname supposedly came from Enos Slaughter who said he saw better heads on a possum.

edit

He also worked with Mel Allen, Red Barber and Ned Martin during his career...

https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/jim-woods-2/

Wow, Jim Woods!  That brings back memories.  I grew up listening to Martin and Woods doing the Red Sox on the radio in the 70s. Whenever I couldn't get good reception on WJR, I would tune into those two.  They were a good team.  Not as good as Harwell and Carey but really good.  Then the station inexplicably fired them which nobody thought was a good idea.        

That's basically what happened in Pittsburgh with the Prince/Woods team. The Pirates wanted more sponsor related stuff in the booth. The also offered Woods a very small raise which he turned down. I was 12 when we left Western Pa, but I remember listening to the game on Saturday or Sunday afternoon while throwing a rubber ball against the brick wall of my grandparents house.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

How come no one ever wrote a song about a dead possum in the middle of the road?

There’s only one band that would be this silly.  First played in 1985 and still a staple in their live shows today.    

His end was the road. 

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

The Tigers are playing possum.  A 13-24 start fools the rest of the division into thinking the Tigers are sleeping or dead. Soon they will come roaring back to life …

Oh, I get it.  The bats have been playing dead.

Jim Adduci shaking his head.  The key is not to get caught.  

https://nypost.com/2022/05/18/yankees-cut-prospect-jake-sanford-for-allegedly-stealing-equipment/?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&sr_share=twitter&utm_medium=SocialFlow&utm_source=NYPSportsTwitter

"According to a source, the 24-year-old outfielder was released last week after a team investigation found Sanford had stolen from teammates, including equipment that he would then try to sell online, as first reported by NJ Advance Media

Additionally, a source said Sanford, who played college baseball at Western Kentucky, also accepted money from prospective buyers for the equipment then failed to deliver the products. "

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

The average wall in the majors is 395? I guess what he's looking for is for is something along that lines that even if the ball is more juiced in a given year, when the number of HR's goes up, most of the added ones are still right at the wall and that effect swamps the effect of the balls actually going farther because they are more live. Or another way to put it is that if the average fly ball travels 10 ft further, you'd probably still only see a fraction of that 10 ft increase in the average HR because there would be  many additional  HRs at the wall that would prevent the longer ones from moving  the average much.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

So Tim Anderson calls himself Jackie Robinson

Then Josh Donaldson mocks him by calling him "Jackie"

Is that racist?    Anderson opened the door to that.  

Oh, I forgot, Anderson is an asshole..........

This is bush league by Anderson to play the race card here.   

The real story is the entire White Sox team hates Donaldson from an incident that happened last year when he was on the Twins.   He and Lucas Giolito had a little blood feud that hasn’t really been settled even though Donaldson is a Yank now.   Donaldson is a known idiot and probably should’ve read the room better too.  He should’ve realized none of the Sox like him anymore and just kept his mouth shut rather than try to be cool and joke around.  

6 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

This is bush league by Anderson to play the race card here.   

The real story is the entire White Sox team hates Donaldson from an incident that happened last year when he was on the Twins.   He and Lucas Giolito had a little blood feud that hasn’t really been settled even though Donaldson is a Yank now.   Donaldson is a known idiot and probably should’ve read the room better too.  He should’ve realized none of the Sox like him anymore and just kept his mouth shut rather than try to be cool and joke around.  

If you rip Tim Anderson you're racist though.  

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

The average wall in the majors is 395? I guess what he's looking for is for is something along that lines that even if the ball is more juiced in a given year, when the number of HR's goes up, most of the added ones are still right at the wall and that effect swamps the effect of the balls actually going farther because they are more live. Or another way to put it is that if the average fly ball travels 10 ft further, you'd probably still only see a fraction of that 10 ft increase in the average HR because there would be  many additional  HRs at the wall that would prevent the longer ones from moving  the average much.

That is exactly what he was looking for.  

41 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

So Tim Anderson calls himself Jackie Robinson

Then Josh Donaldson mocks him by calling him "Jackie"

Is that racist?    Anderson opened the door to that.  

Oh, I forgot, Anderson is an asshole..........

It probably depends on the context, but it sounds like both of them are just dumb players, so who cares?  The woke sabers on my feed are freaking out over it.  There is a lot of racism in this country and people are getting more open about it, but this incident is not worth getting upset about.  

1 minute ago, Tiger337 said:

It probably depends on the context, but it sounds like both of them are just dumb players, so who cares?  The woke sabers on my feed are freaking out over it.  There is a lot of racism in this country and people are getting more open about it, but this incident is not worth getting upset about.  

I get how people could see it as racist without context.   

12 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Tim called himself the next Jackie Robinson (sure Tim, you have that kind of pressure on your shoulders, sure).   So he shouldn't be shocked if it's thrown back at him.   

1 minute ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Tim called himself the next Jackie Robinson (sure Tim, you have that kind of pressure on your shoulders, sure).   So he shouldn't be shocked if it's thrown back at him.   

I think he was talking about bringing anti-racism to the next level, but it was an odd thing to say.  Still, Donaldson probably wasn't the right person to throw it back at him.    

On 5/18/2022 at 1:10 PM, Hongbit said:

There’s only one band that would be this silly.  First played in 1985 and still a staple in their live shows today.    

His end was the road. 

Best band on the planet.  

• Like 1