2022 MLB (non-Tigers) catch all thread

gehringer_2

4 hours ago, chasfh said:

I almost never see crazies on the L, and you see some on your only trip on one? Awww, not fair.

A guy looked like he was just released from a hospital. Had one of those butt hanging out gowns (sweat pants on thankfully) on and a couple of those vital patches stuck to his chest. Also saw dirty needles rolling around on the floor both ways. Not a big deal but saw a lot of toddlers crawling around with parents not watching them very good.

Edited by Tigeraholic1

14 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

A guy looked like he was just released from a hospital. Had one of those butt hanging out gowns (sweat pants on thankfully) on and a couple of those vital patches stuck to his chest. Also saw dirty needles rolling around on the floor both ways. Not a big deal but saw a lot of toddlers crawling around with parents not watching them very good.

Wow, you hit the jackpot. The worst I see when I take the L is people walking between the train cars. Maybe I should take the Green Line more!

3 hours ago, Stanley70 said:

The Tigers signed Trevor Rosenthal, who hasn't pitched in a couple years. They had him in like 2018 and gave up after he couldn't throw strikes. He then went on to have a decent year with KC I believe.

Reminds me of this scene from Major League:

• Like 2

Just wanted to take a few seconds to remember Tampa play by play announcer Dave Wills. I remember him from his time in Chicago. He was part of the Sox broadcast team and also did play by play for the Kane County Cougars. I also remember listening to his updates on the old WMAQ-AM and WMVP back in the late 90s.

Another good guy who will be missed

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/rays/2023/03/05/rays-radio-dave-wills-dies-andy-freed-stuart-sternberg/

10 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Wow, Angel Hernandez does college games too?  

Ump has been suspended.    This was ridiculous.  Maybe he had to take a crap. 

Good on the other team's catcher for helping the batter chill.............he probably told him he agreed with him.  

To be fair, it was Mike Mussina pitching.

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I guess I didn't include the video of that college ump. 

I love everything about this video. 

Kid is a punk and was 100% wrong.  I love the ump saying fuck you and teaching him a lesson.   At the same time, the ump needs to understand that he’s not the judge, jury, and executioner.  If he’s gonna pull this move,  it’s 100% outside the rules and he’s got to be responsible for his actions in purposely breaking them.  

We need more of this in society.   Everyone learns a good lesson and everyone pays a price for their actions.   We move on and both sides are better for it in the future. 

Edited by Hongbit

5 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Kid is a punk and was 100% wrong.  I love the ump saying fuck you and teaching him a lesson.   At the same time, the ump needs to understand that he’s not the judge, jury, and executioner.  If he’s gonna pull this move,  it’s 100% outside the rules and he’s got to be responsible for his actions in purposely breaking them.  

We need more of this in society.   Everyone learns a good lesson and everyone pays a price for their actions.   We move on and both sides are better for it in the future. 

The only positive I saw in that video was the catcher.  

5 hours ago, Hongbit said:

then toss him when does that stupid bat pointing ..... The ump is being just as big as a punk 

2 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

then toss him when does that stupid bat pointing ..... The ump is being just as big as a punk 

Better message sent by doing what he did on the next call than just tossing him.  It was totally out of line from the ump but I like personally how it all played out.  He’s suspended and may not ump college ever again.

Two wrongs may not always make a right but it can usually teach two important lessons for the future.  

The umpire got suspended indefinitely 

https://apnews.com/article/umpire-suspended-college-baseball-b82307c27a72c409eb311829074a7471

The Southland Conference said in its statement — which didn’t identify Drummer by name — that after a thorough review, “the home plate umpire’s conduct and actions were deemed detrimental to the conference and in violation of Section 3 Character and Conduct of the CCA Mechanics Manual for Baseball.”

On 3/13/2023 at 3:31 PM, CMRivdogs said:

The umpire got suspended indefinitely 

https://apnews.com/article/umpire-suspended-college-baseball-b82307c27a72c409eb311829074a7471

The Southland Conference said in its statement — which didn’t identify Drummer by name — that after a thorough review, “the home plate umpire’s conduct and actions were deemed detrimental to the conference and in violation of Section 3 Character and Conduct of the CCA Mechanics Manual for Baseball.”

Good. The umpire should have been suspended, too.

Look, the kid, who is no more than 21 years old, should not have been so demonstrative on the pitch before it. He should have known better, and If he would have been rung up on a pitch a couple inches off the plate, that would have been defensible. It would teach the kid a lesson while maintaining the veneer of credibility for the umpire. But calling him out on that pitch proved the call was obviously vindictive, not instructive. The conference couldn't not suspend the umpire, because who knows how much farther he would go on the next one. If he loses this job permanently, I don't think that would be the worst thing. He can take another umpiring job in a lesser conference and work his way back up. This should teach him a lesson.

That reminds me of when I was in Little League and one of the umpires didn't show up.  My manager's girl friend volunteered to take the job and was making ridiculous calls in our favor.  So, the other umps decided to remove her  and just play the game short one ump.  

30 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

That reminds me of when I was in Little League and one of the umpires didn't show up.  My manager's girl friend volunteered to take the job and was making ridiculous calls in our favor.  So, the other umps decided to remove her  and just play the game short one ump.  

During COVID they modified a Little League rule and moved the plate umpire behind the pitcher. Many rumbles of bad calls from the parents during that era. To be fair, 2 batters in and the plates covered with dirt and he could only clean between innings when no one was there. I don't miss COVID......

3 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

During COVID they modified a Little League rule and moved the plate umpire behind the pitcher. Many rumbles of bad calls from the parents during that era. To be fair, 2 batters in and the plates covered with dirt and he could only clean between innings when no one was there. I don't miss COVID......

Any parent rumbling about bad calls as 12 year Olds and under play a game should recheck their priorities. 

• Like 1