2022 MLB (non-Tigers) catch all thread

gehringer_2

In a year where offense is way down Mike Trout hit 2 more HRs today to give him 9 on the year and raised his OPS to about 1.200. The greatest player of this generation just keeps getting better and finally for him it appears the Angels are too, the win today moves them to 21-12 on the season. 

7 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

In a year where offense is way down Mike Trout hit 2 more HRs today to give him 9 on the year and raised his OPS to about 1.200. The greatest player of this generation just keeps getting better and finally for him it appears the Angels are too, the win today moves them to 21-12 on the season. 

Not just a win, but a no-hitter!

(Shocking that hasn't happened to the Tigers yet)

10 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I saw him hit that laser into the first row of the LF stands on Monday night, and I was thinking, what if Mike Trout just decided he would hit as many homers as he possibly could this season? Even in a down year for homers, I wouldn’t doubt that he could hit 60 or more just by sheer force of will. 

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Anthony Rendon batted left-handed for the first time in his career when the Rays brought in a position player (Brett Phillips) to pitch.  Rendon homered.  Sounds like it was an entertaining game!

Good for Rendon. Position players pitching just sucks. 

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Good for Rendon. Position players pitching just sucks. 

It seems unnecessary given the size of the pitching staffs today, but it happens so infrequenly that it doesn't bother me. If there is one game where Harold Castro has to pitch in a 14-0 blow out, it doesn't hurt anything.  I think it's entertaining and it's something that has happened throughout the history of the game.  

44 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

It seems unnecessary given the size of the pitching staffs today, but it happens so infrequenly that it doesn't bother me. If there is one game where Harold Castro has to pitch in a 14-0 blow out, it doesn't hurt anything.  I think it's entertaining and it's something that has happened throughout the history of the game.  

It used to be interesting and rare enough that you might never see one in a thousand games you attend. Now it’s just way too common and I support batters who make fun and take the piss out of that very unserious moment. 

8 minutes ago, chasfh said:

It used to be interesting and rare enough that you might never see one in a thousand games you attend. Now it’s just way too common and I support batters who make fun and take the piss out of that very unserious moment. 

You have to admit, the Rizzo/Freeman AB was way fun to watch last year.

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

Willians Astudillo's spicy meatball against the Jerk Sox last year was hilarious

Edited by mtutiger

Gotta wonder if part of that is to just entertain the crowd that stuck around in the blowout or to lighten the mood for the team that just got blownout cause like others have said with all the pitchers teams carry nowadays youd think it they wouldn't need to do that except for the most extreme and rare exceptions.

The last time I heard baseball and possum tied together was way back in the Bob Prince PBP days with Pittsburgh. He was the second guy in the booth, nicknamed Possum. The nickname supposedly came from Enos Slaughter who said he saw better heads on a possum.

edit

He also worked with Mel Allen, Red Barber and Ned Martin during his career...

https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/jim-woods-2/

Edited by CMRivdogs