2022 MLB (non-Tigers) catch all thread

gehringer_2

3 hours ago, buddha said:

fulmer was a good prospect.

Fulmer and Ray were good prospects we got through Dombrowski, but that was the extent of it, although to your point, that's still better than Al managed. The only decent prospects he ever pried away from anyone was the Cubs, because they're terribly impatient at trading, too.

8 hours ago, oblong said:

Awesome throws from OF excite me.

I certainly don’t know this for a fact, it’s just uneducated opinion.  And granted, there weren’t a whole lot of 9-3s to begin with, so maybe the baseline isn’t that strong to begin with.  But I think one of the byproducts of the infield shift with someone in short right field is that the right fielder gets to play deeper and removes any chance whatsoever of getting a slow runner at first.

8 hours ago, casimir said:

In his defense, his top speed was more or less jogging rather than running.

I heard Sean Casey tell this story once, he was playing for the Red Sox and twice within a week he was thrown out at second trying to stretch a single into a double.  After the second time he was extremely angry, and Terry Francona put his arm around his shoulder and they went for a short walk up the runway.  When they got a safe distance away from the dugout Francona turned to him and said "are you sure you don't have polio?"

• Haha 1

It's crazy to think that the Marlins got Gallen AND Sandy Alcantara in the Ozuna trade talk about a true haul! They since swapped Gallen for Chisholm but crazy to think that they managed to get arguably the two of the best starters in the NL for I believe only a year of Ozuna. A rare blunder by the Cardinals and shows that even the best run franchises can make huge mistakes. 

11 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

I heard Sean Casey tell this story once, he was playing for the Red Sox and twice within a week he was thrown out at second trying to stretch a single into a double.  After the second time he was extremely angry, and Terry Francona put his arm around his shoulder and they went for a short walk up the runway.  When they got a safe distance away from the dugout Francona turned to him and said "are you sure you don't have polio?"

While with the Tigers Casey hit a ball off the wall and the fielder chasing it had it bounce back past him. By the time he gathered up the ball Casey was headed for third and beat the throw for a triple.

After the game someone asked Leyland if he had ever seen Sean run that fast . Leyland said " I've never seen Casey run that far! "

• Haha 2

Judge with number 55, he's currently 2 games ahead of Maris' AL Record pace. 

Btw he currently has 19 more than anybody in MLB and 23 more than anybody in the AL. That's what like 55% or so more than anybody else? I wonder when the last time somebody did that? 

Edited by RandyMarsh

45 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Judge with number 55, he's currently 2 games ahead of Maris' AL Record pace. 

Btw he currently has 19 more than anybody in MLB and 23 more than anybody in the AL. That's what like 55% or so more than anybody else? I wonder when the last time somebody did that? 

I heard this on a podcast earlier, but don't remember the answer on the most recent. Babe Ruth in the early 20's was the all time leader though and the all time runner up.

... Which a lot of people will be throwing asterisks around regarding Bonds/McGwire/Sosa. I'll say there should be an asterisk, but not the one they think. Regardless for the reason for the run environment, it certainly is a different run environment such that Judge's may stand above the ones from 1998-2002, regardless of if he hits any specific numbers.

The MLB is set to vote in the proposed rule changes tomorrow, they consist of eliminating of the shift, bigger bases and a pitch clock. 

I have no idea if any will pass but if they do I wonder how much if any they will benefit the Tigers. 

In theory you would think they would help our offfense more than others since we don't hit the long ball so not having the shift may help our slap hitters find more holes, but again that is just in theory have no idea if any data support that. 

Otoh though we're not a big strikeout staff so the lack of shift may hurt us more than others in the run prevention standpoint so it could all end up being a wash atleast in the near future. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

10 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

The MLB is set to vote in the proposed rule changes tomorrow, they consist of eliminating of the shift, bigger bases and a pitch clock. 

I have no idea if any will pass but if they do I wonder how much if any they will benefit the Tigers. 

In theory you would think they would help our offfense more than others since we don't hit the long ball so not having the shift may help our slap hitters find more holes, but again that is just in theory have no idea if any data support that. 

Otoh though we're not a big strikeout staff so the lack of shift may hurt us more than others in the run prevention standpoint so it could all end up being a wash atleast in the near future. 

good.  rob manfred doing god's work.

On 9/7/2022 at 5:05 PM, Edman85 said:

I heard this on a podcast earlier, but don't remember the answer on the most recent. Babe Ruth in the early 20's was the all time leader though and the all time runner up.

Babe Ruth 284% ahead of the runnerup in 1920.  

I couldn't find anyone higher than Judge recently.  Jimmy Foxx 41% in 1932 and 1933 was the highest I found going through it quickly.   

Currently Judge has an OPS+ of 205, not counting Bonds which exceeded it several times the only times since Mantle/Williams in the 50s that that number has been topped was McCovey in 69 with a 209, Bagwell/Thomas in the strike shortened 1994 seasons with 213/212, McGwire in his memorable 98 season with 216 and Juan Soto in the strike shortened season of 2020 with 217.

So really outside of Bonds only 2 times in over 60 years has somebody posted a number this good in a full MLB season. Definitely one of the best offensive seasons in most of our lifetimes. 

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Currently Judge has an OPS+ of 205, not counting Bonds which exceeded it several times the only times since Mantle/Williams in the 50s that that number has been topped was McCovey in 69 with a 209, Bagwell/Thomas in the strike shortened 1994 seasons with 213/212, McGwire in his memorable 98 season with 216 and Juan Soto in the strike shortened season of 2020 with 217.

So really outside of Bonds only 2 times in over 60 years has somebody posted a number this good in a full MLB season. Definitely one of the best offensive seasons in most of our lifetimes. 

BTW I think Judge actually gets punished by OPS+ cause he plays in Yankee Stadium, he gets "punished" for playing his home games in Yankee Stadium when in reality he hasn't really benefited much from it cause the vast majority of his HRs were bombs. In 20 of the 30 stadiums he would have equal or more expected HRs according to statcast and in every single one he'd atleast 50 with the exception of our very own Comerica where he'd only had 43.

That surprised me, we all knew Copa wasn't ideal for HRs but I guess I didn't realize just how much, he'd have 7 less here than every other park in baseball. On the opposite spectrum he'd already be at 63 if he was playing in Cincinnati.