2022 MLB (non-Tigers) catch all thread

gehringer_2

19 minutes ago, oblong said:

No. I don’t get wrapped up into all of that because you can’t pick out what the cause and effects were. The numbers are the numbers and they reflect competition against your peers. 

breaking franchise records hasn’t been national news so it shouldn’t be now.  

It's also a League record, right? 

22 hours ago, oblong said:

I spent a few minutes digging in via my phone and when Orosco debuted in 1979, Willie Mccovey was still in the league.  When mccovey debuted enos slaughter  was still playing at the age of 41. 

We can do a whole six degrees with this:

Pujols started in 2001 when Willie McCovey was in the game

McCovey started in 1959 when Enos Slaughter was still in the game.

Slaughter started in 1938 when Waite Hoyt was still in the Game.

Hoyt started in 1918 when Bobby Wallace was still in the game.

Wallace started in 1894 John Montgomery Ward was still in the game.

Ward started in 1878 when Al Spaulding was still in the game.

Spaulding started out in the 1871 National Association.

There’s our six degrees. 

41 minutes ago, chasfh said:

We can do a whole six degrees with this:

Pujols started in 2001 when Willie McCovey was in the game

McCovey started in 1959 when Enos Slaughter was still in the game.

Slaughter started in 1938 when Waite Hoyt was still in the Game.

Hoyt started in 1918 when Bobby Wallace was still in the game.

Wallace started in 1894 John Montgomery Ward was still in the game.

Ward started in 1878 when Al Spaulding was still in the game.

Spaulding started out in the 1871 National Association.

There’s our six degrees. 

McCovey retired in the 70's i think. If he started in 1959 that means his career was 42 years :)

5 minutes ago, Stanley70 said:

McCovey retired in the 70's i think. If he started in 1959 that means his career was 42 years 🙂

You’re right, I missed one. D’Oh.

Pujols started in 2001 when Harold Baines was in the game

Baines started in 1980 when Willie McCovey was still in the game.

And so on … 

if you were really ambitious you'd find the link for people in uniform in the debut game of the selected players in hte chain.  Not managers or coaches.

Saw a thing over the weekend that Dusty Baker was a participant in every 700 homer game.  He was Aaaron's teammate, managed the Cubs against Bonds, and the other night.

8 hours ago, chasfh said:

You’re right, I missed one. D’Oh.

Pujols started in 2001 when Harold Baines was in the game

Baines started in 1980 when Willie McCovey was still in the game.

And so on … 

If you wanted to do it with Miguel  Cabrera, he debuted in 2003 when Jesse orosco was still playing...

Who will start a 20+ year career  next year?

Jamie Moyer was still playing in 2012, when Mike Trout won ROY.

Moyer made his ML debut in 1986, when Pete Rose was still playing.

Rose made his ML debut in 1963, when Warren Spahn was still playing.

Spahn made his ML debut in 1942 when Charlie Gehringer was still playing.

Gehringer made his ML debut in 1924, when  Babe Adams was still playing.

Adams made his ML in 1906, when Cy Young was still playing.

Young made his ML in 1890, when Cap Anson was still playing.

Anson started playing in 1871 and you can't go back any further than that.

Less than 10 players separate the current ballplayers from the earliest players.

I have nothing against Aaron Judge personally—he seems like an OK-enough guy—but I am actively rooting against his making 62 or even 61 home runs. Part of it is Yankee hate, sure, since the national media will crow that it always was a record that rightfully belongs to the Yankees, because barf.

But the bigger reason is that I am not looking forward to the unseemly moralizing about Judge getting the "real record", i.e., one that people haven't discounted because of the so-called steroid era. The media will wax idiotic about how Judge is "clean", the way Pujols is "clean", and the way any other home run hitter writers personally like are declared to be "clean". And, by definition, anyone who exceeded 61 home runs since Maris is "dirty". We will be hearing about that incessantly for the rest of our natural lives.

I realize I'm hoping against hope that he will fall short, because he almost surely will not fall short, but speaking only for myself, I'm not looking forward to the moralizing that will attend to it. This is only my opinion and you may not share it, and that's OK.

why is a franchise record worth cutting into not only other national MLB games but football games?

Frankly it's not national news.  Great for Yankee fans to celebrate, I'm happy for them, but if Spencer Torkelson is sitting on 57 HR next year with 12 games left will they be doing the same thing and why not?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

As a fellow Fresno State alum, I am actively rooting for Judge to break every record there is (including all pitching ones).  And from now on, I have a new enemy.  He cowardly hides behind the moniker, chasfh.

lol line forms way in the back of the room

3 hours ago, oblong said:

why is a franchise record worth cutting into not only other national MLB games but football games?

Frankly it's not national news.  Great for Yankee fans to celebrate, I'm happy for them, but if Spencer Torkelson is sitting on 57 HR next year with 12 games left will they be doing the same thing and why not?

Its also the AL record and although I don't agree with it there are a relatively high amount of baseball fans that still treat 61 as the real record and think it's a big deal so I think that's the reason it's getting all the coverage and not just cause it's the Yankees team record. 

9 minutes ago, casimir said:

I don’t know about the other single season “records”, but what intrigues me about Judge is triple crown aspect of it.  And, yes, I know OBP > AVG, and RBI are more of a team accomplishment than an individual accomplishment.  That’s fine.  It’s still a remarkable season.

Yes I think Triple Crown is another interesting achievement and worthy of celebration.

Personally I think the media coverage for Judge is a great thing.  For too long the PR side of baseball has been horrible.  There aren't enough household baseball names, not like there was in the 90s and early 2000s.  The whole steroid scandal has tarnished the game.  Combine that with the not strike earlier this year and several fans have left.  If they want to use Judge to try to bring back the fans, then I'm all for it.  I embrace it if they want to invade other sports to show people what they are missing.  More of it, I say.  

• Like 2