2022 MLB (non-Tigers) catch all thread

gehringer_2

14 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Also if you're a AAAA type pitcher that may only pitch in the big leagues for a cup of coffee like many pitchers in September do it would be a pretty cool "war story" to tell friends years from now. Yeah saying you pitched a few weeks in the big leagues is pretty damn cool in itself but telling people that you were the won to serve up the AL HR record or the 700 HR to a hall of famer would make for an even cooler story. 

Well, but remember that there are only 2 extra slots to use in September vs the rest of the year.  Its possible that Pittsburgh (or anyone else) shuffles its active roster a bit more on a daily basis at the very end of the year to keep arms fresh.

Here's a tidbit I noticed while looking up Judge's stats this year to really put in perspective how good he is, the difference in OPS between him and the 9th highest OPS in the AL Alex Bregman is the same as Bregman is to the lowest OPS in the AL are own Johnathan Schoop. That is just crazy to think just how far ahead he is than everybody in the AL not named Yordan and even Yordan he has over a 100 points more than. 

Judge didn't get 61 tonight but went 2-4 with 2 doubles and walk to raise his September SLUGGING of 1.017 and OPS of 1.525, all things considered(deadened ball,better pitching, better defensive alignment, not seeing starters more than twice etc.) he may be having the best non Bonds season with the bat in any of our lifetimes or for the older posts adult lifetimes. And unlike Bonds his numbers aren't being aided by IBBs or the "unintentional intentional walk". A true generational type season. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

19 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Judge didn't get 61 tonight but went 2-4 with 2 doubles and walk to raise his September SLUGGING of 1.017 and OPS of 1.525, all things considered(deadened ball,better pitching, better defensive alignment, not seeing starters more than twice etc.) he may be having the best non Bonds season with the bat in any of our lifetimes or for the older posts adult lifetimes. And unlike Bonds his numbers aren't being aided by IBBs or the "unintentional intentional walk". A true generational type season. 

Those two hits are also very important as it keeps Judge in the lead for batting average (.3170 to .3166 by Xander Bogaerts) and his lead in all 3 triple crown categories.  

Just now, Edman85 said:

60 was the pre-amphetamines record as well as the pre-integration record. Asterisks for steroids, pre 2005 testing, are a media manufactured thing.

Amphetamines were discovered in the late 19th century so I would suspect that maybe The Babe, who was known to abuse some things, could have been a fan.

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

Why is 61 a big deal? The record is 73. Is there national media attention when any team record is broken or are they revising history to try to gin up a story?

The Yankee record is 61 and as usual NY thinks the world revolves around them so whatever they are dealing with then everybody has to deal with it too.

It would be a fun local story if anyone challenged Greenberg's 58 HR for the Tigers but I wouldn't expect people anywhere else to care about it.

But overall Judge's season is newsworthy as it relates to Ohtani and the MVP race so there's that.

2 hours ago, oblong said:

The Yankee record is 61 and as usual NY thinks the world revolves around them so whatever they are dealing with then everybody has to deal with it too.

It would be a fun local story if anyone challenged Greenberg's 58 HR for the Tigers but I wouldn't expect people anywhere else to care about it.

But overall Judge's season is newsworthy as it relates to Ohtani and the MVP race so there's that.

Allow me to rebut.  🙂️  It’s a NY thing to care about Yankee milestones being surpassed. The Babe’s 60, and Maris’s 61. I don’t hear local fans conversation wanting, or expecting the”world” to give a shit. I’m enjoying being on “Judge watch”… and I’m hoping he ties/breaks the 61 against the Red Sox this weekend.

I’ve said before here on this site that this year is Yankees team just isn’t a favorite of mine by any stretch of the imagination. For the most part, they’re just way too streaky, and I am not a Gerrit Cole fan at all. However, when they play well, they play really well which is fun. Even if they were to go to the World Series and win it, it’s not that I wouldn’t be happy, but I still never talk about this year‘s team as being a favorite. 

Soooooooo…. GO JUDGE. Go YANKEES.

B3735E2B-24E8-4B02-9F7A-6D6C1787620C.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ben9753 said:

Saw on ESPN something that blew my mind. When Pujols hit his first home run, the oldest player in MLB was Jesse Orosco. He was born in 1957. 

I spent a few minutes digging in via my phone and when Orosco debuted in 1979, Willie Mccovey was still in the league.  When mccovey debuted enos slaughter  was still playing at the age of 41. 

3 hours ago, Tigermojo said:

The fan kept Pujols' 700 HR ball. Refused several offers from the Cardinals. Seems silly to me. How much value could the ball have? It's not authenticated by MLB.

I am not sure it has to be for verification though its very important. The fan has the video, ticket stub , maybe written offer from the Cardinals, and witness's etc . Given there is only four 700 home run balls in ML history it's worth quite a bit I would think. The fan should give it to Albert but Albert/Cardinals/MLB should be willing to pay close to current market value to be fair. Not just some random signed stuff, tickets and a handshake. That could be  10 to 20 years of earnings to the fan.