2022 MLB (non-Tigers) catch all thread

gehringer_2

17 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

In recent years Jackie Bradley Jr. is anther guy with a howitzer. Theres videos of him pregame throwing from home plate all the way over the CF wall in Fenway about 400ft away. 

Back in the day, the minor leagues would sponsor skills competitions and supposedly Rocky Colavito won one in the PCL for outfield throwing over 400' before he even reached the majors. There are stories of him being able to throw to home plate from deep CF in old Tiger stadium - which was 440 when he played there (420 later), though some may be apocryphal. Dwight Evans and Barfield were certainly two I remember as well  - I never saw Guerrero play much. And of course Kaline, but you had to have seen him in the 60's when he was still at the top of his game. And TBH, it more than a strong arm. We've seen lots of useless guys who can throw it over everyone's head for a two base error. One of the things that made Kaline such an assassin was that he was consistently accurate. More recently Kevin Kiermaier is no slouch.

Edited by gehringer_2

Parker was one of the best arms for a long time, and one of the best in baseball, period. 

Another great arm, for a much shorter time, was Glenn Wilson. Could not run him at all. And if you were slow and hit a single to right, you better be on your horse out of the gate or he would throw you out at first.

But the  best throw I have ever seen was  Bo Jackson throwing out Harold Reynolds at home. Reynolds was  one of the faster guys in the game at the  time  too.

27 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

This is one of those indelible images in my mind.

I think the catcher deserves as much credit in these situations.  You have a 200 lb guy barreling in on you, and you have to make the catch and apply a perfect tag, all within a split second.  Great execution all around.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, CMU97 said:

But the  best throw I have ever seen was  Bo Jackson throwing out Harold Reynolds at home. Reynolds was  one of the faster guys in the game at the  time  too.

I love how the color commentator is complaining about the call and the umpiring but at the end concedes that Harold was out.

On 8/19/2022 at 9:29 PM, buddha said:

if they had let dd do the houscleaning and trade verlander i can almost guarantee who would have gotten better prospects back than avila did.

Do you think so? The way I remember it, Dombrowski was all about building teams up by trading off minor leaguers for major leagues, not tearing teams down by fire-saling big leaguers for prospects. I can't recall any trade in which he sent a good major leaguer in exchange for one or more prospects that were worth a darn.

41 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Do you think so? The way I remember it, Dombrowski was all about building teams up by trading off minor leaguers for major leagues, not tearing teams down by fire-saling big leaguers for prospects. I can't recall any trade in which he sent a good major leaguer in exchange for one or more prospects that were worth a darn.

fulmer was a good prospect.

You could take somebody that has never watched baseball before, handed them the Astros prospect list and say "pick 3 names from this list" and they probably would've ended up with a better result than Avila.

Really the only hope I have left is Rogers and he's coming off of TJ, I think there is still a chance he turns into a decent hr hitting catcher with adequate defense. Maybe like how Haase was last year except with a little better defense. If that were to happen he'd have some value. 

10 minutes ago, buddha said:

robbie ray too

That was around the time either DD got crazy or he was put in shitty positions by Ilitch.  2014 was the season that doomed us.  A few different moves could have put us on a different path.  Let Cabrera go like the Cards did wtih Pujols.  Sign Max.  Keep Suarez. Keep Ray and not worry about the pushback from the Fister trade.

Ray was the only time I think DD bowed to public pressure.

Resigning Victor that offseason didn't do us a whole lot of favors either. In the grand scheme of things it may not have changed much other than loss of money but who knows, if we had a better dh in that spot namely Nelson Cruz who we couldve signed instead we may have made the playoffs in 2016.

1 hour ago, oblong said:

That was around the time either DD got crazy or he was put in shitty positions by Ilitch.  2014 was the season that doomed us.  A few different moves could have put us on a different path.  Let Cabrera go like the Cards did wtih Pujols.  Sign Max.  Keep Suarez. Keep Ray and not worry about the pushback from the Fister trade.

Ray was the only time I think DD bowed to public pressure.

that might have been the worst offseason dd ever had.  it was one terrible move after another.

wasnt that the alfredo simon year?

54 minutes ago, buddha said:

that might have been the worst offseason dd ever had.  it was one terrible move after another.

wasnt that the alfredo simon year?

Yep, I think the only move that wasn't bad was the Porcello/Cespedes swap but I can't remember if that move led to us needing to trade for Simon or not.