2022 MLB (non-Tigers) catch all thread

gehringer_2

On 8/17/2022 at 3:33 PM, Tiger337 said:

Having Verlander and Scherzer together all these years would have been so much fun.  It's hard to be be a bad team with two aces, but even if they were bad some years, it still would have been fun.  

The Mets where somewhat in that situation for a few years. They had two aces in DeGrom and Syndergaard (even though he's now moved on and been replaced by Scherzer) and a mediocre team otherwise. But there was always some excitement around them because you knew if they could just fill out the rest of the team with adequate pieces, they have a chance to be really good. And thats what we're seeing this year with the Mets.

11 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Damn wish I was at that game sabre, should be a good one!

Dude, it is so awesome to watch two really good teams. 👍 The crowd is really into it too...a fair amount of Mets fans too.  Great atmosphere!

Edited by sabretooth
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

Hope the rental car company doesnt monitor average speed 😀

LOL - I've heard you used to be able to get a ticket on the FLA turnpike if you made it from entry to exit too soon, but never had it confirmed. Maybe they just put that out there to persuade people to make a rest area stop and spend some money....:classic_biggrin:

I spent a couple of years with company car with a speed monitor in it - totally terrible experience esp - in Mi where speed limits are posted just be abused. Initially we got around it by going through the speedometer re-cal procedure and setting with an offset so the thing thought you were going 10 mph less. Once the company figured that out I turned in the company car and took an allowance to drive my own - monitor free.

• Like 1

I drove from Cornwall to Sarnia coming home from college one time. I think I stopped once for gas, never hit a lick of traffic. Got to the border in Sarnia and the guy pulls up my plate, starts to ask the typical questions about what I was doing in Canada, pauses as he does the math on how long it has been since I entered in Cornwall, laughed and said, "I'm not even going to bother. You didn't stop to do a damn thing. We don't need to worry about you today."

Second best stop at customs in my life, next to the time my Grandfather never actually stopped on his way through.

3 hours ago, microline133 said:

I drove from Cornwall to Sarnia coming home from college one time. I think I stopped once for gas, never hit a lick of traffic. Got to the border in Sarnia and the guy pulls up my plate, starts to ask the typical questions about what I was doing in Canada, pauses as he does the math on how long it has been since I entered in Cornwall, laughed and said, "I'm not even going to bother. You didn't stop to do a damn thing. We don't need to worry about you today."

Second best stop at customs in my life, next to the time my Grandfather never actually stopped on his way through.

My best customs exchange was with a very friendly and attractive customs person.

Customs: "What are you doing in Canada?"

Me:"I am going to an Expos game"

Customs: "Who are they playing?"

Me: "Detroit Tigers"

Customs: "Who is going to win?"

Me:"Tigers"

Customs:"Of course you think that. I think you are wrong, but have a good trip"

That was in 2002.  They used not to worry much about Americans visiting Canada.  Getting back into the US was more difficult.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

My best customs exchange was with a very friendly and attractive customs person.

Customs: "What are you doing in Canada?"

Me:"I am going to an Expos game"

Customs: "Who are they playing?"

Me: "Detroit Tigers"

Customs: "Who is going to win?"

Me:"Tigers"

Customs:"Of course you think that. I think you are wrong, but have a good trip"

That was in 2002.  They used not to worry much about Americans visiting Canada.  Getting back into the US was more difficult.  

one of my favorites was at Sault Ste Marie. We had come up to take the Algoma scenic tour train and were staying on the US side but were going to the Canadian side for dinner. My wife  and MIL were with me and - as though I had never crossed a border before, were adamant that I must not say anything the agent except the exact answer to his questions. So first question was "where are you from" --- answer 'Ann Arbor'

next "why are you going to Canada" --- answer 'Dinner'

That got an interesting look in return.

Of course this was all before 9/11 when things were pretty loose.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

It was the exact opposite for Canadians, we could breeze into the US but then get a hard time coming back.

My Dad was Canadian and "immigrated" to the US for work in Michigan way way back when and when we traveled home from visiting family in Quebec he was a bloody mess at the border. My Mom used to tease him to be good or she would spill the beans 🙂

hard to imagine, but when gas was cheaper in Windsor, one time my friend's mom drove a bunch of us to Tiger stadium, and she said, we are going to Canada to get gas first; she went thru the tunnel, told the guy she was buying gas at a station she could see, filled up, and came back. With the fares, it was still cheaper to buy in Windsor. No papers asked for, for the kids including me that were not hers. No one cared. Tigers won (Angels I think).

Sadly there were many times from 1992-1994 where I was in a car full of shit faced people who just ate McDonald's by the bridge and made our way back through customs.  I was on the bridge in a backup when Mike Tyson bit Evander's ear off.  I found out about it next to a group in a limo.  Our friends had mutual bachelor/bachelorette parties in Windsor.

2 hours ago, oblong said:

Sadly there were many times from 1992-1994 where I was in a car full of shit faced people who just ate McDonald's by the bridge and made our way back through customs.  I was on the bridge in a backup when Mike Tyson bit Evander's ear off.  I found out about it next to a group in a limo.  Our friends had mutual bachelor/bachelorette parties in Windsor.

and the thing is, at this point there is no reason it's still the way it is and not the way it was. It's just inertia.

On 8/17/2022 at 2:33 PM, Tiger337 said:

Having Verlander and Scherzer together all these years would have been so much fun.  It's hard to be be a bad team with two aces, but even if they were bad some years, it still would have been fun.  

if they had let dd do the houscleaning and trade verlander i can almost guarantee who would have gotten better prospects back than avila did.