2022 Pistons Offseason

Deleterious

Free agency starts July 1st.  Players can sign with teams starting July 3rd? Or maybe it is the 4th.

The Pistons can make trades right now but it has some rules.  They can only trade with other teams whose season is over.  So as teams get bounced from the playoffs, they are now eligible to make trades. They can not trade players about to be free agents.  They can't trade players who have player/team options this summer.

When the Finals end then all player movement is frozen until July.

I think I read they will have around $26M in cap space.  Not sure if that includes the 1st round pick or not.  1st round picks count against the cap from the second they are picked, even if they are not signed.  

29 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

It's really too bad we're paying Deandre Jordan 8M and Dewayne Dedmon 3M to play for other teams. I wonder which big man Weaver will pay not to play for us this season?

and how much of that cap space are we going to spend on bagley?

5 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Doncic, Tatum, Morant Headline ESPN's 25 Under 25 List For 2022

ESPN's 25 Under 25 List
1. Luka Doncic
2. Jayson Tatum
3. Ja Morant
4. Trae Young
5. LaMelo Ball
6. Cade Cunningham
7. Zion Williamson
8. Bam Adebayo
9. Darius Garland
10. Shai Gilgeous-Alexander

Mike Schmitz actually had him all the way up to 4 behind only Luka, Tatum and Ja.

Cade's numbers in March were way better than Barnes and it's not even close, yet they gave Barnes rookie of the month. I shouldn't be surprised - the media has their story and their sticking to it. It'll be the same for Rookie of the Year. Cade tweeted out, "Detroit vs Everybody", and he's not wrong.

Suddenly wins matter for RoY and being the 3 or 4th option on a team with All-Stars is comparable to being the #1 option getting double on every play on a team with almost nothing. Whatever, we got the best player and the top 25 under 25 shows that as well.

5 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Cunningham is Grant Hill 2.0. He'll be a star, the Pistons will be middle of the pack at best and lose some 1st round playoff series, and Cunningham will depart for the next super team. 

hopefully the difference is that the year after they drafted Hill, they had the 58th pick. This draft is an odd one, but the odds are still decent the Pistons get a much better player to go with Cade than Don Reid.

I couldn't care less about ROY, it's an award that means very little in the long run. What I'm absolutely sure of is that the Pistons got the best player in this draft.

On another note, I'll pose a question for you guys. Do you prefer that Weaver stick with the slow build or for him to dip into free agency for a higher caliber player than Plumlee/Olynyk? Brunson, Bridges, Mitchell Robinson (if you consider him as a bigger ticket FA).  I'm a bit torn, they have a big need for a PG (Brunson) and paint protecting center (Robinson) but I don't want Weaver overspending either. I'm sure the draft will dictate how they approach free agency somewhat but I also think this team can take a sizeable jump forward next season if they fill both of those holes in the offseason, draft and free agency or trade.

Edited by NYLion

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

hopefully the difference is that the year after they drafted Hill, they had the 58th pick. This draft is an odd one, but the odds are still decent the Pistons get a much better player to go with Cade than Don Reid.

Actually, Stackhouse was the running mate to Hill, back when the Pistons used to win trades regularly, but the mix just wasn't good enough to vault them higher than a 2nd tier team. They had some pretty good seasons though.

Edited by NYLion

23 minutes ago, buddha said:

cade is luka doncic.  grant hill was a much better athlete than cade.  which doesnt mean cade will be worse than grant hill, but hill is a much different player than cade.

I was wondering about this earlier.  Are Hill & Cunningham of similar athleticism, but the background of the eras that they play in kind of make that not as apparent?  I think it’s agreeable that Cunningham’s era is more athletic than Hill’s.  So, take any athletic player from Hill’s era, plop them into now, and they are less athletic looking?  Similarly, take a player from today, flux capacitor them to yesteryear, and they look more athletic?

50 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

it would be nice if his long range shooting started to look more like Luka's.

Luka shot 32 and 31% from three in his first two seasons. He's not an elite 3 point shooter, he's a high volume 3 point shooter.

Don't get me wrong, he's a great scorer but his greatest value is his ability to facilitate. He's absolutely elite at getting to his spots and creating for others. I see Cade in a similar vein although he's not quite the playmaker that Luka is. Cade's greatest asset will be his ability to create mismatches due to his size and wide array of moves sucking in the defense and creating good shots for himself or others. The 3 point shooting will be a bonus and is something that I fully expect him to improve on because that stroke is smooth.

Edited by NYLion