2022 Pistons Offseason

Deleterious

Much as I'd love for the Pistons to make a change because I can't stand Casey's X's and O's, lineups, or in-game strategy, he's not going anywhere until he's ready to leave. That will probably happen in the next 2-3 years, with him taking a front office or a scouting role with the Pistons, but for now Weaver and Gores both seem happy with the positive things he brings to the table for this young team (player development and a strong locker room even when you're losing).

Sam Vecenie had an article on The Athletic today about redrafting last years draft. He said he is going strictly off of looking term potential and not this years play.

He still would take Cade #1 and he said this about him:

[Quote]

Cunningham would not be my Rookie of the Year pick, given the yearlong consistency of how good the following two guys on this list were. But I’m still rocking with him, long-term, as the guy to bet on in this class, and his close to the season is the biggest reason why. I thought Cunningham’s close for the Pistons was a better stretch than any other rookie this season. In his final 21 games, Cunningham averaged 21 points, 5.8 rebounds and 6.4 assists per game while shooting 45 percent from the field.

The 3-point shot didn’t fall at the level expected, but I’m not all that worried long-term. He suffered an ankle injury entering the season, and those can be extremely difficult to come back from. He has a smooth release with good footwork that should translate to him being an effective pull-up shooter. He makes effective reads out of ball screens and consistently keeps the ball moving offensively. He’s unselfish. His assists don’t come as a function of him dribbling the ball into the ground but rather from decisions that keep the ball moving around the perimeter or off drive-and-kicks. On top of the offense, he was an effective, switchable defender, which should translate toward him being a plus defender in big moments.

Everything about Cunningham’s game translates toward effectiveness in the playoffs, as soon as the shot translates. I think he’s the guy I most buy turning into a top-10 player in the league at some point.[/quote]

• Like 1

Gores needs to get Joe back into the fold.

In his new role with the NBA, Dumars will oversee the development of playing rules and interpretations, conduct and discipline, and policies and procedures relating to the operation of games, according to a release from the league. Dumars was previously the Sacramento Kings' special advisor to the general manager for three seasons. 

32 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Gores needs to get Joe back into the fold.

I hope Joe does well. He should,  he is a talented guy, plus draft evaluation of 7 ft Serbians does not appear to be part of the job description.  :classic_laugh:

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Sinclair announced they are launching their Bally Sports+ streaming service.  $19.95 a month or $189 per year with a soft launch this quarter sometime.  

Glad they are launching but this price is way too high in todays market. It’s practically gouging. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

I was paying $80 a month for Direct TV streaming so I could watch games, on top of the $75 for YoutubeTV.  So twenty seems great.

Don't forget this isn't just the Pistons. You also get the Wings and Tigers at well.

$20 for 1 channel is not great.   

• Like 2

For people smarter than me, is Bagley the type of guy you can keep on the floor in the playoffs? The 10 or so times I watched him as a Piston I thought he looked good and helped Cade play alot better but my scouting eye isn't good enough to know how he'd fair when the competition gets tougher in the playoffs. 

5 hours ago, Deleterious said:

I was paying $80 a month for Direct TV streaming so I could watch games, on top of the $75 for YoutubeTV.  So twenty seems great.

Don't forget this isn't just the Pistons. You also get the Wings and Tigers at well.

Why would you pay for Youtube TV? What was being provided on Youtube TV that wasn't on the Directv stream? I have DIrectv Stream and I'm not sure I'm missing anything from Youtube TV.

51 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

For people smarter than me, is Bagley the type of guy you can keep on the floor in the playoffs? The 10 or so times I watched him as a Piston I thought he looked good and helped Cade play alot better but my scouting eye isn't good enough to know how he'd fair when the competition gets tougher in the playoffs. 

he plays no defense.  he'd be unplayable in the playoffs for key stretches.

the hope is that he learns to defend because he has a lot of physical tools.

3 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Why would you pay for Youtube TV? What was being provided on Youtube TV that wasn't on the Directv stream? I have DIrectv Stream and I'm not sure I'm missing anything from Youtube TV.

My dad uses our YTTV account.  I was never keeping DirectTV once the Pistons season was over.  So it was just easier to keep both instead of teaching him something new for a few months and having to run over there every other day to help him with it.

Bad teams have to be careful with terrible players like Bagley. He improved the team, but he isn't a long term solution. No contact over two years and the second year is preferably a team option. Use him to get better to attract better players and then move on from him.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2022 at 12:11 AM, Deleterious said:

The ROY winner and third place finisher were high school teammates. 

Of course that isn't your typical high school. I think Cade played with six guys who have or will get picked in the first round.

Yep. I used to work at Montverde. Very good basketball program and also soccer too. Their soccer team would play professional teams and national all-star teams all the time. Francisco Lindor graduated from there as well. Very cool young man. 

I know RJ Barrett very well. The next big name to come out of MVA will be Dariq Whitehead. He's going to Duke next year. He will be a top 2 pick in the NBA. You will not find a finer kid in the world than Dariq. If you're talking about character, he's on a whole nother level from Diangelo Russel, Ben Simmons, and even RJ and Cade. Cade is a good guy and Dariq sang his praises the last few years saying he's the man. But Dariq will be the MVA alumni that I will be rooting for most. I would give anything to see the Pistons get him but I don't think they'll be in the lottery when he's draft eligible. He and my daughter are best buds and it just goes to show how cool of a young man he really is (my daughters 8 years old and she considers him to be her best bud 😋). I can't say enough good things about Dariq.

Big men are getting played off the court left and right in the playoffs. I wouldn't count on someone like Bagley who can barely manage average defense on a good day to be effective in the post season.

Guys like Bam who are highly switchable (no Center was switched on to a guard more in the NBA...Stewart was 3rd on the list) or someone like Embiid who dominates on the offensive end will always have a spot. But someone like Bagley...nope. You could hope for him to become a 20 minute instant offense guy who gives you more points than he allows, but I'm not sure he has that level of potential.

As Del said, use him now as you're getting better and keep searching for a real playoff piece down the line.