2022 Pistons Offseason

Deleterious

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

I think it's also enough room to acquire Kyrie for 40 games. 

40 games of play at 82 games of pay.  That’s the exact inverse of a buy one get one free.

Plus the other headaches on top of that headache.

N-O.

H-no.

F-no.

I hope it doesn't happen, but I'll admit I'm curious to see how this will work. Without Jerami Grant to give back, Phoenix would have to be willing to take a pile of garbage in return on a sign and trade. No way they let him walk for nothing. They're better off matching the offer and then getting something for him after Dec 15th.

3 hours ago, Betrayer said:

I hope it doesn't happen, but I'll admit I'm curious to see how this will work. Without Jerami Grant to give back, Phoenix would have to be willing to take a pile of garbage in return on a sign and trade. No way they let him walk for nothing. They're better off matching the offer and then getting something for him after Dec 15th.

A player gets a no-trade clause for a year if his team matches an offer sheet.  So they can trade him after Dec 15th, but Ayton would have to approve.

20 hours ago, buddha said:

who would you rather max: bridges or ayton?

death is not an option.

Final Answer: Bridges.

Obvious after we drafted Duren.

Even if Ayton & Duren are not exactly the same skills. What drafting Duren does sort of force, is to find 3 & D frontcourt guys that have perimeter range both offensively and defensively. Olynyk is a better fit on the court with Duren than Ayton; and signing Ayton probably pushes Duren to the bench for the next 4 years or so of Ayton's contract.

Maybe someone is OK with that (Duren on the bench behind Ayton whilst Duren learns the NBA under Ayton's tutelage...); but I think resources are better spent on switchable defenders that can cover the perimeter and not just the interior exclusively, who can also stretch the D when we're on offense.

Bridges, not Ayton.

Do we have to re-sign Bagley?   I'd rather not.  Not sure if we should focus on putting together a max offer for a guy like Bridges (no to Ayton)  or if we should take on a bad contract or two for picks and hope that we can draft a 3 and D wing and guard depth.  We'd kick the cap space can down the road a bit and we'd also have a better understanding of how that pieces we have fit together if we follow tht course

Strictly speaking about on-court stuff, I'd take Bridges over Ayton because I don't want to max a drop-coverage center and have to watch 30M sit on the bench in the playoffs when teams go 5 out and hunt him on every play. I'm also not happy about reports about his lack of work ethic and softness.

Bridges is a way better player for this era and this team. However, I have off-court concerns with him as well and don't necessarily want him in this young locker room. But, it doesn't matter anyway because Charlotte is trying to shed cap to make sure they can match him, so I doubt he's going anywhere.

Also, JEIII is reporting that with the success of this draft the organization is more likely to go after vets and let this young core develop. He mentioned guys like Bryn Forbes in his podcast last night. A little small for my liking, but he can shoot.

How much is Bruce Brown going to cost now that he sort of broke out in the playoffs? The kid shot 40% from three last year and we already know he's a dog on defense. Hayes and Brown as the backcourt bench unit is shades of Mike James and Lindsey Hunter. Offense is fun, but defense travels. Might be a good way to kick your cap space down the road with a 2 year deal plus a 3rd year team option. Then again, he may not be happy with us for trading him and he may want 3-4 years at 14-16M (and to be a starter) which is a bit too much for him in my opinion.

Edited by Betrayer

2 hours ago, Shinzaki said:

Do we have to re-sign Bagley? ...

No.

Bagley looked really appealing if we were a team with a severe deficiency in athleticism. Even with all the warts he was covered in.

Now that we have Ivey and Duren (which doesn't say that we stop trying to add athleticism...); I see only the warts that Bagley carries.

Right now he's an afterthought. 

Every 3&D guy we can get on this team, and even a couple guys who may not have much "D" but can really "3", would be more appealing than Bagley. Remember, we still have Bey and Stewart; who may not be the most athletic, but add more varied talents to the team than a Bagley.

If we add Bagley, or a similar athlete that needs to be developed onto this team... I think it's the last open spot that we are filling... We already have Ivey & Duren who are athletic, and will need a lot of time to develop all of their basketball skills...

I think you have to wonder about both Bagley and Hami. I suspect that the Pistons will renounce all of the team options (Hami, Bagley, Jackson, Garza, and Edwards) to maximize cap and then figure it out as the dominoes fall.

I think Hami and Jackson are both gone. Hami because we just drafted a better and younger version of him with a higher ceiling and higher IQ. Jackson because we probably want our shooters to actually be able to shoot and I expect them to target someone like Forbes as a replacement.

Bagley could be gone as well, but don't forget that Duren is 18 and will take time. Bagley is a young top draft pick, showed promise on the offensive end, and really wanted to be here. If, as reports say, we're not going whale hunting then it doesn't hurt to bring him back on a reasonable deal (2 yrs + 3rd year option) to eat up some of that cap and let him develop to see what you have. If he doesn't work out, no loss. If he does, then you can always flip him for more if Duren comes on strong.

I imagine Garza and Edwards are gone.

8 hours ago, Shinzaki said:

Do we have to re-sign Bagley?   I'd rather not.  Not sure if we should focus on putting together a max offer for a guy like Bridges (no to Ayton)  or if we should take on a bad contract or two for picks and hope that we can draft a 3 and D wing and guard depth.  We'd kick the cap space can down the road a bit and we'd also have a better understanding of how that pieces we have fit together if we follow tht course

I don't understand the obsession by some with re-signing Bagley.  I think those people are factoring in his draft position.  He may be skilled but he is not a good shooter and we just drafted Duren to go along with Stewart.  I'd take him back at the right price or even overpay if he would take a one year deal.  But I don't think he is a guy we HAVE to bring back.

I really liked what I saw with Bagley in the limited time he was here. I agree that we don't have to resign him but I really hope we do. Cade and the Pistons offense and team in general seemed to play a lot better once he arrived.  He was a great rim runner for Cade and also did a great job on put backs cleaning up any missed shots from around the basket.