2022 Pistons Offseason

Deleterious

I think I would rather spend a little more money and bring in Bobby Portis than re-sign Bagley.  Portis would give us a little extra insurance too if Ivey comes in and struggles with his outside shot or Cade doesn't improve his percentage as much as he should.  

Edited by Hart
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Hart said:

I think I would rather spend a little more money and bring in Bobby Portis than re-sign Bagley.  Portis would give us a little extra insurance too if Ivey comes in and struggles with his outside shot or Cade doesn't improve his percentage as much as he should.  

Funny you mention Portis cause I was gonna bring him up earlier when I brought up Harris. I really like his game but I wasn't sure how he would fit with us. I'm sure we could find a use for him anyway so I'd be cool with bringing him in. 

5 hours ago, buddha said:

we have a lot of cap space, i dont want to use it by overpaying role players like portis or bagley.  if they do sign guys like that, make it short term deals so you can get out of it quickly, or deal them at the deadline.

I support overpaying role players on short term deals.  It's either that or overpay somebody like Ayton or Bridges on a max deal.  It seems like it has been forever since we have not had at least one really bad contract on the books and there is a good chance we have buyer's remorse in 6 months again if we max Ayton or Bridges.  

• Like 1

I'm in favor of signing some vets and role players that can shoot to 2 year deals with a 3rd year team option. Keep your flexibility with contracts that can moved or simply released in a couple years while we let this team grow and figure out what we need.

I don't see Portis leaving the Bucks. He literally has 20K fans chanting his name every time he plays and they have legitimate title chances.

10 players under contract:
Cade, Ivey, Hayes, CoJo, Lee
Bey, Livers
Stew, Duren, Olynyk

Players with Team Options or QOs:
Hami, Jackson, Garza, Bagley, and some G-League scrubs (Edwards, Pickett, etc)

Realistically, I think Bagley is the only one on that list I try to bring back because he's worth a gamble when you're kicking your cap down the road anyway. Hami is fun, but the team needs shooting and he's been replaced with a version of him that's already better and might actually develop into something. Jackson was signed for shooting, but hasn't been able to shoot except for one anomaly season in his career - so he's just an undersized guard who can't shoot straight.

22 hours ago, Hart said:

Would love Portis but I don't think he'll leave Milwaukee. TJ Warren is an interesting target, pretty good shooter/scorer but oft injured which means they could probably get him a discounted rate.

5 hours ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

Is there any more bad contracts we can take on to get some 1st rounders in the next coming years? Has anyone been mentioned like Kemba Walker type deal?

The only name I've seen in the news is Kevin Durant but he's not what I'm guessing is a "bad contract".

I'm not opposed to this but any future first rounders are a ways from being impactful players.  We need to make sure we are keeping guys like Cade and Saddiq happy long term.  The sooner we make the playoffs, the better.  I think using the money by overpaying some second tier free agents on short term deals is still the best way to go.  

If this turns out to be the case then I’d like to see them jump in as the 3rd team in a few deals to pickup bad contracts for extra draft picks.   The FA crop next year is much better but there will also be many more teams with significant money than this year.  

Edited by Hongbit
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Sounds like the Pistons are picking up Dialo's option and turning down Frank Jackson's. 

I assumed Jackson was gone. An undersized guy you sign to be a shooter than can't shoot isn't worth much.

As for Hami, I'm surprised but not unhappy. I like the exciting chaos that he brings, but he's got to shoot 35% from three with consistency and increase his defensive IQ off the ball, otherwise I don't see him getting many minutes in Casey's rotation. Kid has potential, but I'm not sure if he ever figures it out. Luckily for him we have the time (and money) to wait.

31 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

I assumed Jackson was gone. An undersized guy you sign to be a shooter than can't shoot isn't worth much.

As for Hami, I'm surprised but not unhappy. I like the exciting chaos that he brings, but he's got to shoot 35% from three with consistency and increase his defensive IQ off the ball, otherwise I don't see him getting many minutes in Casey's rotation. Kid has potential, but I'm not sure if he ever figures it out. Luckily for him we have the time (and money) to wait.

This is my thinking.

Maybe the same with Bagley.

The only problem is I can't see Bagley or Hami paired with Ivey and Jalen on the court at the same time. Ever. I don't want bad habits influencing these guys... or causing duress because they're trying to learn "the right way" and play D and all, whilst either or both of Hami and Bagley are screwing it up.

I think I keep those guys segregated to a second unit and away from Ivey and Jalen as much as is absolutely possible.

20 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

I think I keep those guys segregated to a second unit and away from Ivey and Jalen as much as is absolutely possible.

Keep in mind that Jalen is 18 years old - the youngest guy in the draft. I guarantee you that Casey will have him coming off the bench for at least the first half of the year if not more. But, I think he'll start Ivey because dude is going to sell tickets and you can't sit the 5th pick on a developing team.

With Cade, Ivey, Bey, and Stewart likely starting, Casey is going to want to insert a vet into the starting unit. Depending upon what happens in free agency, I think that guy will be Kelly Olynyk at PF.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Betrayer said:

Keep in mind that Jalen is 18 years old - the youngest guy in the draft. I guarantee you that Casey will have him coming off the bench for at least the first half of the year if not more. But, I think he'll start Ivey because dude is going to sell tickets and you can't sit the 5th pick on a developing team.

With Cade, Ivey, Bey, and Stewart likely starting, Casey is going to want to insert a vet into the starting unit. Depending upon what happens in free agency, I think that guy will be Kelly Olynyk at PF.

You're probably right.

But I think I would want Olynyk as a stretch-5 because I'd want to prepare Stewart for how he is going to play with the starting 5 as soon as Duren gets there... so I'd wanna get him ready/ in that mindset...

And the sooner that Duren can get his defensive legs underneath him and join the starting 5... the better.

I'd think if it's Hayes-Diallo-Livers(?)-Bagley-Duren... there could be a lot of bad habits developed in there, by osmosis. So I'm still of the mind that the sooner Duren can start, the better.

3 hours ago, Betrayer said:

That starting 5 makes sense.  Or, if Bagley is brought back, he could be the starter and a frontcourt pairing of Olynyk and Duren could be used off of the bench.  Hayes and Diallo as the primary bench backcourt.  Mix & match that 10th spot, or maybe that's a good spot for a veteran wing?

Honestly, my preference would be to give Livers a shot starting at the 4. Smart role player who can knock down threes, but I doubt Casey goes that young across the board. I'd also be good with sliding Bey over since I thought he was better on both sides of the ball at that position, but that depends upon what you get in free agency.

I could see them going after a vets like Bryn Forbes, Gary Harris, and Taurean Prince.