2022 Pistons Offseason

Deleterious

No thanks on Ayton.

Yes, he'll give you more regular season wins, but I'm thinking about the playoffs and if you've been watching the playoffs for the past few years you know that drop coverage Centers are tough to keep on the floor in a lot of matchups. You see them getting played off the court by 5 out lineups, getting their minutes shortened, and sometimes sitting for entire series. I'm talking about guys who were core pieces for their team all year like Gobert, Lopez, Ayton, Adams, etc. Even in the finals just last night they were talking about how Udoka is pulling Robert Williams in order to keep up with the perimeter switching they need against the Warriors. I don't want my highest paid player to be matchup dependent like that in the playoffs. That's the first strike against him.

And it's not just a matter of paying him the max, the suns aren't just going to let him walk. If they can't pull off a sign and trade, then it makes way more sense for them to just match any offers and trade him later. That means you also have to give up major assets for the privilege of maxing out a drop-coverage Center. Strike two.

And that's before we even get into the character issues, the bad work ethic that has him pulling all-nighters playing video games rather than focusing on basketball, and the fact that it's not even working out on a contender...how's he going to act on a team that's not good yet? Third strike.

Give me someone like Mitchell Robinson, Jalen Duren (if we can snag a later lotto pick), or another affordable Center who can give me 90% of what Ayton gives at 30% of the cost and not have to give up assets on top of that cost.

• Like 1

He came from the Boston coaching tree, right? So maybe he could have been viewed as the successor to Casey in a year or two? Is this something Detroit fans should be disappointed about? Honestly don't keep up on assistant coaches enough to know how some of these guys are viewed in the league and with the fanbase.

On 6/18/2022 at 6:37 PM, RandyMarsh said:

I should have bothered to click on the link and read the article but I didn't care enough to do so,lol anyway I guess according to the headline that Kenny Atchinson spurned the Hornets for their HC job to return to the Warriors as an assistant. 

There's been a bunch of off the court stuff with the Hornets, so I'm not surprised. He probably wants to coach a basketball team, not the Jailblazers 2.0

No surprise there.

Pistons should have roughly 36M in cap space this year after signing the #5 pick and renouncing everyone with options (Bagley, Jackson, Hami). They could re-sign those guys afterwards, of course. 

We also have about 11M in dead cap due to Troy's love for acquiring players and then cutting them before they ever get to Detroit. Hopefully we don't do that again this year just to move a guy like Plumlee for a an equally average guy like Olynyk 🙃

Realistically they will have about $20M in cap space I imagine.  They wont have the MLE obviously.

You can renounce and sign guys later like Bagley.  The problem with that is you give up their Bird rights when you renounce them.  So then you have to use raw cap space to sign them again.

If Kyrie becomes a FA I wonder if that could open the door for more teams wanting to clear space to sign him which in turn could lead to us facilitating those moves with our space in return for more draft capital? My first thought was immediately the Lakers but I forgot they already owe their pick to the Pelicans. 

5 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

If Kyrie becomes a FA I wonder if that could open the door for more teams wanting to clear space to sign him which in turn could lead to us facilitating those moves with our space in return for more draft capital? My first thought was immediately the Lakers but I forgot they already owe their pick to the Pelicans. 

has missed 130 games in the last 3 seasons.

My guess is yes, yeah he's a headcase but he's one of the most talented players in the league when on the court(admittedly that's getting less and iess) and ultimately that's all teams care about. If he becomes available I'm sure some teams will want to throw big money at him. 

Welp there it is. I think we all knew deep down we were dreaming when rumors of getting their 8th pick were talked about but still I would have atleast hoped for something better than this. Hard to say how teams are going to be 3 years from now but as long as Milwaukee has Giannis unlikely they are going to be in the lottery so probably a pick around 20 at best...3 years from now. Oh well I guess it gets Grant off our roster and cancels out the 1st we owe to Houston. 

4 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Welp there it is. I think we all knew deep down we were dreaming when rumors of getting their 8th pick were talked about but still I would have atleast hoped for something better than this. Hard to say how teams are going to be 3 years from now but as long as Milwaukee has Giannis unlikely they are going to be in the lottery so probably a pick around 20 at best...3 years from now. Oh well I guess it gets Grant off our roster and cancels out the 1st we owe to Houston. 

a little more from Woj's feed.

Detroit swaps 2022 second-round picks -- getting 36 for 46 -- with Portland, too. Denver gets a 2025 second-round pick back from Portland, and Portland sends the most favorable 2026 second-round pick between Portland and New Orleans to Detroit, sources said.

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

a little more from Woj's feed.

That's nice to hear about the pick swap. I know it's still a long shot you're going to get anybody useful in the 2nd round but looking at the class there seems to be a couple potentially useful guys that may still be available in the mid 30s.