2022 Pistons Offseason

Deleterious

4 hours ago, Betrayer said:

Honestly, my preference would be to give Livers a shot starting at the 4. Smart role player who can knock down threes, but I doubt Casey goes that young across the board. I'd also be good with sliding Bey over since I thought he was better on both sides of the ball at that position, but that depends upon what you get in free agency.

I could see them going after a vets like Bryn Forbes, Gary Harris, and Taurean Prince.

I wouldn’t mind going with more youth and just signing vets as locker room influences that can play every once in a while, or as needed due to covering injuries.  But how many players are out there that fit the bill, and how many would want to go to a rebuilding team as opposed to a legit playoff contender?

Well, that's interesting. I wanted Noel last year, but now I'm not sure we needed another Center that can't shoot, especially since the word is that we're going to bring back Bagley also.

Burks is a nice get. Solid vet who has shot over 40% from three the past three seasons. He goes off on us every time we play him, so maybe he just needed to be in a Piston's uniform.

EDIT: Sounds like we're getting 2 second round picks back and not sending any players in return. So, this accounts for about 19M of our cap. In his season ending interview, when Weaver said that Free Agency can be a little tricky so he prefers trades, he clearly wasn't joking.

Edited by Betrayer

Those are both team friendly contracts too. Burks making 10M this year with a team option next year and Noel making 9M this year with a team option next year. So, Weaver grabs a couple of vets, kicks the cap space to next year, and gets 2 draft picks along the way. Well done.

• Like 2

Well, there's your sin eat. I was hoping for one of the Knicks 1sts if the Pistons are taking on that much salary but I actually view Burks as a net positive pickup so it's essentially the two 2nds to eat Noel's contract in my mind. I like that they are expirings too so Weaver could get another asset or two at the deadline, for Burks in particular.

I'd have to think there's more stuff in the works because the frontcourt is overloaded currently.

Also assuming we keep Noel and resign Bagley I think it's basically a sure thing that this will essentially be a red shirt year for Duren which is fine with me.

Let him get accumulated to the NBA life and perhaps spend the year refining parts of his game that you want him to work on and not worry about doing so in the pressures of an NBA game.

9 hours ago, Betrayer said:

Those are both team friendly contracts too. Burks making 10M this year with a team option next year and Noel making 9M this year with a team option next year. So, Weaver grabs a couple of vets, kicks the cap space to next year, and gets 2 draft picks along the way. Well done.

I really like getting Burks, I feel they were going to be in the market for a guy like that in FA anyway so being able to get him at only 10 million with a team option after this year is a win. 

Edited by RandyMarsh
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

I like getting Burks and to some extent Noel but it seems like we could've atleast squeezed a 1st out of NY if we pushed hard enough considering how desperate they are to clear money. 

That’s kind of what I thought too.  I was not that excited about going all in on a big name free agent though either so can’t really complain much here.

3 minutes ago, Hart said:

That’s kind of what I thought too.  I was not that excited about going all in on a big name free agent though either so can’t really complain much here.

It would've been nice to get the 1st back from the Stewart trade that NYk now owns, its lottery protected so good chance we will still get it next draft but just incase we sneak in as a 7 or 8 seed it would be good to have.

3 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Also assuming we keep Noel and resign Bagley I think it's basically a sure thing that this will essentially be a red shirt year for Duren which is fine with me.

Let him get accumulated to the NBA life and perhaps spend the year refining parts of his game that you want him to work on and not worry about doing so in the pressures of an NBA game.

I wouldn't say "red shirt", but more like an early season buffer for Duren. Noel played 25 games last year due to injury and he's not exactly durable. I expect Duren will be getting 20 mpg per game after the All-Star break. Noel is just a cushion on an expiring deal for the first half of the year while Duren gets acclimated. I'm sure they'll handle it like Beef Stew who was getting inconsistent minutes in the first half of his first season and didn't get his first start until game #48.

11 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

I wouldn't say "red shirt", but more like an early season buffer for Duren. Noel played 25 games last year due to injury and he's not exactly durable. I expect Duren will be getting 20 mpg per game after the All-Star break. Noel is just a cushion on an expiring deal for the first half of the year while Duren gets acclimated. I'm sure they'll handle it like Beef Stew who was getting inconsistent minutes in the first half of his first season and didn't get his first start until game #48.

or maybe another way to put it is that any coach is going to like having a vet his rookie has to win his playing time from. It's another useful tool for him to use. The guys at the Cade Cunningham level that can walk in take over a team virtually from day one are still the exception.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

More than likely, Duren's minutes are going to hinge on the Piston's success.  If we are winning, there is a good chance minutes will be tough to come by for him.  If we are losing, there is no point to not play him.  I think early in the season, minutes will be hard to come by for him because coaches typically default to the veterans.  

The minutes for the wings should be interesting as well.  Cade and Saddiq are locked in.  But then you got to balance Burks, Hayes, Ivey, and Diallo after that.  Are the Pistons committed to giving Hayes 25 minutes per game again?  I hope not.  If Cade plays 33 minutes per game, play Hayes 15 minutes per game as his backup and call it good.  

I really hope they start Ivey or Burks over Hayes.  

I think it's definitely Cade-Burks as the starting guards with Killian-Ivey as the backups.

I think Diallo will be pushed into backing up Bey... squeezing in a few minutes as a SG here and there, but mostly as the SF in a Killian-Ivey-Diallo mix. He'll need to play defense to get those minutes, and work on his outside shot. The same as almost everyone else on the team...