4/15 @ 8:10 Tigers @ Royals

Tigeraholic1

4 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Please somebody with more medical knowledge than me talk me off the ledge! The laymen in me wants to think that elbow sprain sounds like an impact injury like a ball off the elbow or something but I really don't know. 

McCosky says more testing underway. If another shoe does drop it probably won't be tonight.

FWIW, in recent years the more common coding for "probably needs TJ" has been "forearm strain"

Edited by gehringer_2

Pineda will step in for Mize and Alexander deservedly stays in the rotation.  The problem of course is long-term.  "Sprain" sounds more like an impact injury rather than one caused by repetitive movement, but who knows.  I always fear the worst with pitcher injuries.   

17 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

didn't think his velo was where it should have been. 

Yeah it was a little low but it wasn't a huge drop off like you see if it ends up being something major. Like he was still touching 96 on the TV gun, so the optimistic in me wants to think it isn't something too severe but I guess you never know with pitchers. 

9 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Pineda will step in for Mize and Alexander deservedly stays in the rotation.  The problem of course is long-term.  "Sprain" sounds more like an impact injury rather than one caused by repetitive movement, but who knows.  I always fear the worst with pitcher injuries.   

The exact oppsite: a sprain is a torn ligament. Impact injury would be contusion.

9 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

The exact oppsite: a sprain is a torn ligament. Impact injury would be contusion.

I have had sprains before so I know what they are.  You can sometimes get a sprain from getting hit, but impact wasn't the best word to use.  I should hasve said "acute".  Sprains are usually acute as opposed to something chronic.  So, a sprain might cause some damage that is not directly related to pitching and it might heal.  A strain sounds like something that is caused by the repetitive motion of pitching.  Either way, it's not good news.