Coronavirus: Already In a Neighborhood Near You

chasfh

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/05/health/pfizer-covid-pill.html

Has anyone been following the development and clinical trials of the new anti-viral pills from Merck and Pfizer? I read that in the clinical trial for Pfizer they had an 89% reduction in covid symptoms when their pill was given. I saw the clinical trial was so effective they ended it early due to efficacy reasons around continuing to give subjects the placebo when the real pill was shown so effective with no side/minimal serious side effects. Mercks antiviral pill study showed that it cut the covid symptoms by around 50% I believe.

One thing I guess I am concerned about in the two clinical trials is how many patients were high-risk covid patients? I would think we'd want a lot of high-risk covid patients in the trial to see if the new antivirals are effective on people at the greatest risk of getting seriously ill or dying, not healthy adults in their mid 30's like myself.

For someone whose smarter than I am on science and biology, are these new anti viral medications a way out of the pandemic? IE, you get covid, run to your doctor or simply up to your local CVS, get a script for one of these new antiviral pills, and you go home and recoup for a few days? Is that too simplistic a view on what these antivirals could do? It seems to me that people are much more apt to want to pop a pill to get rid of what ails them than have to constantly go in for a vaccine or booster. I would hope the anti-vax crowd that is steadfast against getting vaxxed would be more apt to take this pill. 

35 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Has anyone been following the development and clinical trials of the new anti-viral pills from Merck and Pfizer? I read that in the clinical trial for Pfizer they had an 89% reduction in covid symptoms when their pill was given. I saw the clinical trial was so effective they ended it early due to efficacy reasons around continuing to give subjects the placebo when the real pill was shown so effective with no side/minimal serious side effects. Mercks antiviral pill study showed that it cut the covid symptoms by around 50% I believe.

One thing I guess I am concerned about in the two clinical trials is how many patients were high-risk covid patients? I would think we'd want a lot of high-risk covid patients in the trial to see if the new antivirals are effective on people at the greatest risk of getting seriously ill or dying, not healthy adults in their mid 30's like myself.

For someone whose smarter than I am on science and biology, are these new anti viral medications a way out of the pandemic? IE, you get covid, run to your doctor or simply up to your local CVS, get a script for one of these new antiviral pills, and you go home and recoup for a few days? Is that too simplistic a view on what these antivirals could do? It seems to me that people are much more apt to want to pop a pill to get rid of what ails them than have to constantly go in for a vaccine or booster. I would hope the anti-vax crowd that is steadfast against getting vaxxed would be more apt to take this pill. 

I think they can't hurt but the people who most likely will benefit won't take them for the same reason they won't get vaccinated.  They don't trust the big companies.   And by the time they get to the hospital and have regret it might be too late for the pill to help.

I see the anti viral pills and vaccines as solutions to the same problem.

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

There are news stories this week on the Merck drugs review before the FDA review panel. This one is apparently just a bit less exciting than the early press reports. The full data is ended up being so week they only got a 13-10 approval vote. The mechanism of the pfizer drug requires it be given very early in the infection cycle. It appears to work well enough but if you need to take it essentially before you know you are sick that is going to limit its real world impact. On the one hand, given the time frame as much progress as they have made is amazing, but it's still not really much progress.

2413 new COVID cases in Virginia this AM compared to 1900 yesterday and 1400 Monday (over the river and thru the woods)

Positive testing rate up 6.7% statewide 13-15% in regions with low vaccination rates.

This compares to rates around 5.5% two weeks ago and positive cases around 1000 daily.\\\

45 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

That didn’t take long

from the NYT story

Sixty-one people who arrived in the Netherlands on Friday aboard two flights that departed from South Africa tested positive for the virus that causes Covid, including over a dozen who were carrying the new Omicron variant. The number of overall positive cases represented more than 10 percent of the 600 passengers tested.

61? are you kidding me?