Coronavirus: Already In a Neighborhood Near You

chasfh

Call me a sheep but I don’t see wearing a mask indoors as a “restriction”.  If that’s what is required going forward so be it.  I am fine with it. 

A lot of my colleagues in Europe are back in the office part time. 

a big way our nation could improve remains testing.  You should be able to know pretty quickly if you have it. By that I mean less than 24 hours.  That way at any sign of sniffles or cough you can check. By the time someone figures they should get tested they may have spread it to dozens of others.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, oblong said:

Call me a sheep but I don’t see wearing a mask indoors as a “restriction”.  If that’s what is required going forward so be it.  I am fine with it. 

A lot of my colleagues in Europe are back in the office part time. 

a big way our nation could improve remains testing.  You should be able to know pretty quickly if you have it. By that I mean less than 24 hours.  That way at any sign of sniffles or cough you can check. By the time someone figures they should get tested they may have spread it to dozens of others.  

i see it as a restriction.  i am fine doing it but its definitely a restriction.

at what point would you be comfortable with removing the indoor mask restriction?

i've been to a bunch of restaurants and been around people not wearing masks.  its fine.  im a little less comfortable in a bar, but ive done it once or twice.  ive been to the movies.  no masks.

ive been on the subway multiple times and its usually all masked up.  i always do it.  would you ride the subway masked?

as for the office, its usually only a few people there, but i never wear a mask when walking around.  seems like overly cautious to me.  some people have them on the whole time, even at their desk.

i'm just wondering what people's risk tolerance level is right now.  it seems like my tolerance is higher than others here.

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

I really don't like DeSantis, but he's also the governor of one of the oldest populations on average.  It's the same state with less deaths per capita than Ohio, who has a governor that was applauded by the left for making the right decisions, not 'Trumpian' decisions.  It's the state with numbers close to Michigan, who even with 20/20 hindsight, never made any mistakes and only followed science.  And finally, it's the same state with the lowest Covid numbers per capita today.

Politicians usually get measured by what have you done lately, not what have you done.

Edited by ewsieg

20 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I’m fine with whatever they come up with. 

you're in illinois, so they'll probably adhere to the cdc guidelines.

i'm pretty much at this level too.  i find a lot of it annoying and unnecessary, but i've gotten used to it now.

and i dont really like people anyway, so all of this distancing has been a god send in some ways.

what i dont like is what its done to the kids.  but it is what it is, i guess.

I don’t like what it’s done to the dead people.  

maybe it’s due to my wife’s job.  When I hear of a healthy 49 year old going on a vent who is fully vaccinated and has no health issues other than being a little overweight like many other 49 year olds… well it makes me not want to get covid even though most likely it will be mild. I don’t know the answer. Just frustrating that it’s not going away and too many idiots don’t want to help out.  Also frustrating that it’s family members feeling that way and they will be around this holiday season. 

1 hour ago, buddha said:

i see it as a restriction.  i am fine doing it but its definitely a restriction.

at what point would you be comfortable with removing the indoor mask restriction?

i've been to a bunch of restaurants and been around people not wearing masks.  its fine.  im a little less comfortable in a bar, but ive done it once or twice.  ive been to the movies.  no masks.

ive been on the subway multiple times and its usually all masked up.  i always do it.  would you ride the subway masked?

as for the office, its usually only a few people there, but i never wear a mask when walking around.  seems like overly cautious to me.  some people have them on the whole time, even at their desk.

i'm just wondering what people's risk tolerance level is right now.  it seems like my tolerance is higher than others here.

My recollection is that 5/100K was an action level the epidemiologists were working with early on - that certainly has probably changed given that the bug has ended up more infectious than originally estimated.  But OTOH, the original concept here being that if you can contact trace all the positives, you can keep it in check, and so the stable infection level really has more to do with how much public health resource you have to do contract tracing rather than any particular property of the infection and that is what I believe that 5/100k number was based on.

Now in practice Covid has overrun anyone's capability to do effective contact tracing so that has not been part of the conversation for months, but that doesn't mean the concept wasn't correct. As this comes under control there should be levels at which things like contact tracing (or whatever) that were not feasible at high infection rates come back into play, and those considerations should allow the Epids to come up with action levels to relax. But the larger point is that it's not all just black magic and numbers pulled from a hat. The estimates may not always turn out to be correct but they do have non-arbitrary reasons for choosing them.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, buddha said:

I think in the next week or so my county will be out of the CDC substantial spread category... thus no mask mandate.

I wear them to the stores, to work (required), etc. My ears are pretty far back, which has made the re-usable masks very uncomfortable so have used mostly disposables out of comfort, and when I ran out and was waiting on my new stash a few weeks back I went maskless for a bit.

I don't wear at the gym because... well... I tried and it didn't work. Places like restaurants, bars, etc. I don't either.

5 hours ago, ewsieg said:

I really don't like DeSantis, but he's also the governor of one of the oldest populations on average.  It's the same state with less deaths per capita than Ohio, who has a governor that was applauded by the left for making the right decisions, not 'Trumpian' decisions.  It's the state with numbers close to Michigan, who even with 20/20 hindsight, never made any mistakes and only followed science.  And finally, it's the same state with the lowest Covid numbers per capita today.

Politicians usually get measured by what have you done lately, not what have you done.

You can take political solace in those numbers if you like, but the difference between FLAs numbers and MIs numbers is that MIs were run up mostly before we had tools to keep it down, FLA ran theirs up mostly after they had the chance to do better.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Edman85 said:

I think in the next week or so my county will be out of the CDC substantial spread category... thus no mask mandate.

I wear them to the stores, to work (required), etc. My ears are pretty far back, which has made the re-usable masks very uncomfortable so have used mostly disposables out of comfort, and when I ran out and was waiting on my new stash a few weeks back I went maskless for a bit.

I don't wear at the gym because... well... I tried and it didn't work. Places like restaurants, bars, etc. I don't either.

I haven't been to a gym or sat in a restaurant in two years and I don't miss them much.  I work out outdoors and sometimes do takeout.  Also, food shop via instacart.  Covid got me into new habits and I like them.

On 10/29/2021 at 11:50 AM, buddha said:

I'm basically not wearing them except when asked at this point. Only exception is crowded places (ie. Live events), grocery store or Costco.

They are more rare here since our infection levels plummeted.... 

As I have come to realize that the pandemic is in its death throes, I’m definitely starting to get more perturbed by the mask mandate. I’ll still wear it if I’m required to, but I’ll cheat more now where I wouldn’t have before (e.g., mask under nose). I mean, I am double-vaxxed, so really, come on.

I went to a play last month, and am going to another next month, where there is is both a requirement to be vaxxed (and conclusively prove it), and to wear a mask at all times. I think that’s just madness. If we’re all vaxxed and there’s no danger to anyone, what’s the mask for, again? Optics? Virtue-signaling? Liability? Regardless, I am definitely mask-cheating when I go next month. 

Edited by chasfh
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I haven't been to a gym or sat in a restaurant in two years and I don't miss them much.  I work out outdoors and sometimes do takeout.  Also, food shop via instacart.  Covid got me into new habits and I like them.

I've got the extroverted itch and just have fun mingling with people.

33 minutes ago, pfife said:

Keep the Faith.   Hopefully he doesn't get some of that Ivermectine Bad Medicine.  If hes fully vaccinated he may not need a Miracle or to Live on a Prayer.  Covid is no Bed of Roses.  

I hope we are more than halfway there to the end of this thing. I'm glad it' my life and I am 3 shots in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

As I have come to realize that the pandemic is in its death throes, I’m definitely starting to get more perturbed by the mask mandate. I’ll still wear it if I’m required to, but I’ll cheat more now where I wouldn’t have before (e.g., mask under nose). I mean, I am double-vaxxed, so really, come on.

I went to a play last month, and am going to another next month, where there is is both a requirement to be vaxxed (and conclusively prove it), and to wear a mask at all times. I think that’s just madness. If we’re all vaxxed and there’s no danger to anyone, what’s the mask for, again? Optics? Virtue-signaling? Liability? Regardless, I am definitely mask-cheating when I go next month. 

I have to wear a mask at work and my glasses fog up all the time.  On the first day of class, I gave my class a 15 minute break (it's a three hour class).  I left the room, my glasses fogged up, I walked into a door and got a bloody nose.  I was worried that I wouldn't be able to stop the bleeding, but I got it cleaned up and went to my car to get another mask.  Additionally, I give a lab at the end of class where I walk around and help students with an assignment.  It's a big lecture hall with stairs all over the place, so I have to be careful!  I also hate lecturing with a mask because it muffles my voice and the voices of students asking questions.  

13 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I have to wear a mask at work and my glasses fog up all the time.  On the first day of class, I gave my class a 15 minute break (it's a three hour class).  I left the room, my glasses fogged up, I walked into a door and got a bloody nose.  I was worried that I wouldn't be able to stop the bleeding, but I got it cleaned up and went to my car to get another mask.  Additionally, I give a lab at the end of class where I walk around and help students with an assignment.  It's a big lecture hall with stairs all over the place, so I have to be careful!  I also hate lecturing with a mask because it muffles my voice and the voices of students asking questions.  

The glasses fogging up now that it’s getting colder is the worst. I’m pretty blind without my glasses and and take them off so I can see what groceries I’m buying. 

On 10/29/2021 at 6:40 PM, gehringer_2 said:

You can take political solace in those numbers if you like, but the difference between FLAs numbers and MIs numbers is that MIs were run up mostly before we had tools to keep it down, FLA ran theirs up mostly after they had the chance to do better.

Fine, I'll concede your point completely.  By conceding it though, doesn't that mean FL did a hell of a lot better than Michigan prior though?

I'm not trying to take political solace, just pointing out the numbers as they are.  Covid made a lot of policy makers look stupid, that's all my point really was.  Michigan is up to 50 deaths a day on average, double of what it had this time last year.  If you go on historical trends by date/season, Michigan is going to surge this winter.  Luckily there is some evidence now suggesting that we may have already gone through our most recent surge, certainly hope that is true.  

18 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

By conceding it though, doesn't that mean FL did a hell of a lot better than Michigan prior though?

no, because what was happening right at the beginning had nothing to do with what any government or local population was consciously doing because no-one knew what they were doing. The death/incidence rates early on had to do almost completely with how international travel patterns first distributed the virus around the country and where it first found dense low health populations. NYC apparently hit because of connections to Italy (don't remember why Italy was one of the first hit but it was...) and Detroit apparently because of auto industry connections to Wuhan.

9 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

no, because what was happening right at the beginning had nothing to do with what any government or local population was consciously doing because no-one knew what they were doing. The death/incidence rates early on had to do almost completely with how international travel patterns first distributed the virus around the country and where it first found dense low health populations. NYC apparently hit because of connections to Italy (don't remember why Italy was one of the first hit but it was...) and Detroit apparently because of auto industry connections to Wuhan.

You're just talking March/April of 2020?

Florida gets no pass on their first spike which happened in the summer of 2020 because apparently the world knew how to handle this by then?   Yet Michigan's biggest spike didn't come until the winter of 2020/2021?   Whitmer just decide not to follow the all to well known protocols for some reason?