What Are You Listening To?

mtutiger

17 hours ago, chasfh said:

I have been obsessed with this performance for the past two weeks and have listened to it a couple or three times a day since. I'm sure I'll move on to something else soon but I'm enjoying the hell out of it in the meantime.

Thought I was the only Ben Folds fan around here.   Unless Jackson Cannery found this new site.   

22 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Thought I was the only Ben Folds fan around here.   Unless Jackson Cannery found this new site.   

You are not. I’m fairly close to a completist on Ben, both as Five and as one, at least for his work through 2008. Not so much for his a cappella and impresario phase.

I saw him once, in Omaha while I was carpetbagging for an Experian company there. There had been some shuffling around of people at the top of the office chain and The Guy who was put in charge of my area invited me to see Ben play on his Way To Normal tour. Two days later, The Guy shitcanned me and that was the end of my Omaha experience. So the concert, I guess, might have been meant as a consolation prize or sorts before the fact. Who knows.

I wish there were more live material released from the Five and his early rock-based solo efforts.

Edited by chasfh

19 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

you just skipped the arts?  

It was insanely hot that evening,  hot and humid, right?   

Yes.  Only have time to type two things.  I remember him commenting about recognizing the tracks and having to stop once when a train came thru.  

2 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

I always wrote off Foo Fighters as dad rock. I had only heard the studio versions and, while the songs were good, they always seemed too polished and I prefer a more raw style of rock.  

Then I saw/heard their Live from Wembley concert and I was all in. ALL in. 

I wasn’t that into them either but I put everlong on a running playlist and something clicked. 

a good friend is in a tribute band and they play this weekend. Oddly enough they were supposed to practice this last Friday, the night he died, and the Taylor of the group was sick and couldn’t do it. 

2 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

I always wrote off Foo Fighters as dad rock. I had only heard the studio versions and, while the songs were good, they always seemed too polished and I prefer a more raw style of rock.  

Then I saw/heard their Live from Wembley concert and I was all in. ALL in. 

The first album was super raw and pretty great, probably because Grohl did the whole thing himself and wrote most of it during his Nirvana days. A couple years and some mainstream, success later, they polished up album #2 but the material was still so good that was perfectly fine. The quality started waning by album #3. A half a dozen albums in everything they did that was new was unlistenable to me. 

Ironically the later albums all charted way better than the early ones, but you can’t tell me that’s because the quality of the music was better.

I am mainly into jam bands so I judge music almost solely on the live performance.   I find most studio albums uninteresting and I’ll also rarely ever see a band that puts on the same pre produced show every night.

Foo Fighters is one exception as they absolutely destroy live.   I’ve seen them 4 different times with each better than the time before.    They never mail it in.    Great band.  I hope they continue on but I wouldn’t be surprised to see them call it quits. 

Edited by Hongbit
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I am mainly into jam bands so I judge music almost solely on the live performance.   I find most studio albums uninteresting and I’ll also rarely ever see a band that puts on the same pre produced show every night.

Foo Fighters is one exception as they absolutely destroy live.   I’ve seen them 4 different times with each better than the time before.    They never mail it in.    Great band.  I hope they continue on but I wouldn’t be surprised to see them call it quits. 

Agree.  I saw them here in 2017 I think and a friend of mine didn’t go because they “get kind of jammy”.  I’m thinking “ok?”   Do you really want the same thing you’ve heard over and over?  The Eagles were like that a few years ago. Yeah tickets were free and it was a bucket list to see Walsh but you could tell if was the very same show they did the night before. No improvisation.   

14 hours ago, Hongbit said:

I am mainly into jam bands so I judge music almost solely on the live performance.  

I am one of the minority who really enjoys live albums (apparently they normally don't sell well). If a band has a live album, I will use that as my introduction to them.

On a similar note, there are bands that I have seen live who had previously underwhelmed me but, after seeing them live, I was turned into a fan. The live show is always what mattered to me. This is why if a studio album sounds raw and relatively unpolished, I will probably like that much more than if the album went thru the Phil Specter treatment.

• Like 1

Growing up, when all we had was the radio and record stores for music,  I always preferred the live J Geils stuff to the studio versions... .same with Bob Seger.   Like on what planet would you rather hear the studio versions of Katmandu or Must of Got Lost?  Reputa the Beauta!

I remember reading that Rush would never do something in the studio they couldn't do live.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, oblong said:

Agree.  I saw them here in 2017 I think and a friend of mine didn’t go because they “get kind of jammy”.  I’m thinking “ok?”   Do you really want the same thing you’ve heard over and over?  The Eagles were like that a few years ago. Yeah tickets were free and it was a bucket list to see Walsh but you could tell if was the very same show they did the night before. No improvisation.   

To that point, sorta: I saw McCartney three times in maybe five years, and even though he switched up the songs from show to show, which is really the important part when you get down do it, his between-song banter is practically the same every time. He related the Jimi Hendrix/Bag o' Nails story in exactly the same way each time.

Which is fine—I'd rather he mail in the banter than the music.

27 minutes ago, chasfh said:

To that point, sorta: I saw McCartney three times in maybe five years, and even though he switched up the songs from show to show, which is really the important part when you get down do it, his between-song banter is practically the same every time. He related the Jimi Hendrix/Bag o' Nails story in exactly the same way each time.

Which is fine—I'd rather he mail in the banter than the music.

As opposed to Grohl who talks so much they could have done another song or two.

But he's cool. I kid. 

8 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I’d recommend the relisten app for anyone that enjoys live music.   Majority are the core jam bands but also so much other live from a variety of  bands all for free.  

I use that.  It's kind of dodgy on Car Play, I have to use my phone to get it going but once it's up it's fine.   There's a great Purple Rain cover by My Morning Jacket from Red Rocks.

I also pay for nugs but rarely use it.  It's $50 a year so I kind of forget about it.  I do think they have a proper app now for the TV.  We use it for special live shows but the sub fee has nothing to do with those.  I just figure if I use something for free sometimes it's good to pay for it.

8 minutes ago, oblong said:

I use that.  It's kind of dodgy on Car Play, I have to use my phone to get it going but once it's up it's fine.   There's a great Purple Rain cover by My Morning Jacket from Red Rocks.

I also pay for nugs but rarely use it.  It's $50 a year so I kind of forget about it.  I do think they have a proper app now for the TV.  We use it for special live shows but the sub fee has nothing to do with those.  I just figure if I use something for free sometimes it's good to pay for it.

I pay for nugs as well but I’m also starting to listen to it less.

Covers are a big reason why I prefer live music.   I enjoy hearing a band take someone’s song and give it their own sound.  Especially deep tracks that I wasn’t familiar with before.  You will rarely set these included in studio albums but are staples of any real touring band.  

• Like 1

On 3/28/2022 at 12:01 PM, oblong said:

I find covers often enlighten me on how great a song I heard a million times growing up is. Two recent examples are The Chain by the Highwomen, on Howard Sterns show and Simple Man. 

The Highwomen are the shit! I love all four of them, but Brandi Carlile is my favorite of the four for sure.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2022 at 3:02 PM, Mr.TaterSalad said:

The Highwomen are the shit! I love all four of them, but Brandi Carlile is my favorite of the four for sure.

Brandi Carlile is an American treasure.

Her album "In These Silent Days" should have won everything at the Grammys.

Edited by antrat
  • Like 1