What Are You Listening To?

mtutiger

On 3/23/2022 at 9:54 AM, CMRivdogs said:

Sampling some local talent. Cody Christian (not to be confused with the actor) popped up in today's search. He seems to be a local legend for his resignation letter at Newport News Shipyard. The letter when out to all employees stating his intention to find a career that was more friendly to facial hair.

I love this! I had not heard of Cody Christian yet but loved his song Canary in a Coalmine. I thought this was going to be a cover of the Police song by the same name but it was not. Good tune.

On 3/16/2022 at 12:04 PM, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Outside of a handful of songs, I don't listen to rap or hiphop. I went on the hunt for new music to listen to outside the boundaries of what I normally listen to genre-wise. I got hooked up with a rap song called They Reminisce Over You by artists named Peter Rock & CL Smooth. I had never heard the song nor of either artist. Real solid stuff!

If you like that song, you might like this one. It was in a KIA commercial like ten or twelve years ago. It got completely by me when it first came out.

On 3/21/2022 at 6:20 AM, Biff Mayhem said:

Two artists that, if I never heard them again, I wouldn't miss them:

Bob Dylan and The Doors

The Doors are perfectly execrable. The moment I hear even a single note of that Manzarek keyboard, I can't reach for the volume or tuner knobs fast enough.

As for Dylan ... talk about someone whose celebrity eventually eclipsed his music ...

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

If you like that song, you might like this one. It was in a KIA commercial like ten or twelve years ago. It got completely by me when it first came out.

I'll give it a listen for sure. I can probably count on all my fingers the number of HipHop/Rap songs I like and would listen to with any regularity, which shows how much on the outside I am.

Stan by Eminem with Dido is probably my favorite tune. Others I listen to include Mocking Bird and Beautiful by Eminem, Dear Mama, Changes, Keep Ya Head Up by Tupac, Mind Playin Tricks on Me by Geto Boys, Hypnotize by Biggie.

On 3/21/2022 at 7:10 AM, oblong said:

"The best" is hard to define. Do you mean music you personally prefer to listen to or do you mean who had the biggest impact on the whole spectrum of popular music (not pop but rather music consumed by millions of people)?

I've always thought there is a clear difference between "best" and "greatest". I take "greatest" to mean most impactful in size, scope and influence, whereas "best" is more a matter of personal preference, similar to "favorite".

I made that point in the old political forum when I posted that the United States is inarguably the greatest country on Earth, but whether it's the best country on Earth could be fodder for a spirited debate. (Not here, of course ... 😏)

On 3/21/2022 at 7:47 AM, CMRivdogs said:

It's like discussing who is the greatest jazz artist of all time. Miles Davis, John Coltrain or Chick Corea. You are comparing apples to orange and bananas.

There is really no wrong answer

As much as I like Chick Corea—I actually paid money to see him in concert!—he would very much be the wrong answer here.

I saw Chick and Herbie Hancock do a dueling pianos kinda show a couple few years ago now and by that I mean about 10 years ago.  It was so great.   Herbie headlined the Detroit Jazz fest a few years back too and did a bunch of stuff from the Headhunters era and it was about the raddest thing I've ever seen, that's my favorite stuff of his.

On 3/21/2022 at 8:16 AM, Motor City Sonics said:

Beatles are easily #1 to me.  Think about all the music they made and the impact on culture and the music biz itself. They did all that in about 7 years.    That's it.   To change that much about music, albums, culture, social attitudes in just 7 years is something that just won't ever happen again.  

Then I'd put Dylan who changed the way people listen to folk music and what folk music could really be.  

The Stones and Zeppelin are great bands but they basically were taking old blues music and modernizing it.    I would put the Kinks ahead of both of them because of how they shaped (and still shape) Power Pop.   

What, no love for the Eagles?   (Joking)

Air Guitars, Real Guitars and More Weekend Events | BDCWire

The Rolling Stones became the greatest on the planet when they started softening and countrifying their sound in 1968-69 for Beggars' and Bleed. They took over that mantle from the Beatles and single-handedly changed the direction of rock music, leading to scads of country rock classic acts and songs in the following few years. You can basically thank the evolution they wrought for the Eagles.

Led Zeppelin became the greatest band on the planet through the early to mid 1970s, leading to a bunch of chainsaw rock acts that were the most popular genre of rock through the end of the decade.

On 3/21/2022 at 9:28 AM, mtutiger said:

The way I would characterize The Beatles is that they were very good (and often excelled) at everything they did, often innovating new forms of music along the way (ie. Helter Skelter with hard rock), but ultimately they were never the best at anything they did.

Hardcore Beatles fans may think that's disparaging but it really isn't.... their range in sounds is what puts them damn near the top IMO and was something unmatched by any other band. But if I want to hear a bluesy rock song and am given a choice between "Yer Blues" and "Since I've Been Loving You".... it's really no contest, sorry. 

"Since I've Been Loving You", which is one of my all-time favorites from that band, is basically a Janis Joplin song.

16 minutes ago, pfife said:

I saw Chick and Herbie Hancock do a dueling pianos kinda show a couple few years ago now and by that I mean about 10 years ago.  It was so great.   Herbie headlined the Detroit Jazz fest a few years back too and did a bunch of stuff from the Headhunters era and it was about the raddest thing I've ever seen, that's my favorite stuff of his.

I saw Chick Corea in 1981 for free at the Montreux Detroit Jazz Fesitval, but I paid money to see a couple years later.

This is my favorite song from him which, now that i think of it, is fairly atypical for Chick Corea music.

10 minutes ago, chasfh said:

The Rolling Stones became the greatest on the planet when they started softening and countrifying their sound in 1968-69 for Beggars' and Bleed. They took over that mantle from the Beatles and single-handedly changed the direction of rock music, leading to scads of country rock classic acts and songs in the following few years. You can basically thank the evolution they wrought for the Eagles.

Led Zeppelin became the greatest band on the planet through the early to mid 1970s, leading to a bunch of chainsaw rock acts that were the most popular genre of rock through the end of the decade.

Clearly the Stone have built an enduring legacy and fan base, but they never clicked for me, even from the very beginning. I had bought one Stones album I thought I liked when Jones was still in the group - never listened to it much. 

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

That's kind of true. I think Zeppelin wrote the song (well, as much as they "wrote" any song in those early days), but the vocal is Percy channeling Janis.

I've probably said it before but the slice of Beatles music I like the most is when they just rock and rolled in 3 part harmony - esp when George would get his licks in - "Ticket to Ride", "I Feel Fine",  etc - _1964-65 stuff mostly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pfife said:

I saw Hancock about that time, it had to be early 80s. So different from what I was used to at the time. Looking back it's some great stuff.

2 hours ago, pfife said:

Cool Jazz/Fusion/whatever it was it's sort of gone today, or at least harder to find or make a buck at.

Edited by gehringer_2