What Are You Listening To?

mtutiger

• 2 weeks later...

Outside of a handful of songs, I don't listen to rap or hiphop. I went on the hunt for new music to listen to outside the boundaries of what I normally listen to genre-wise. I got hooked up with a rap song called They Reminisce Over You by artists named Peter Rock & CL Smooth. I had never heard the song nor of either artist. Real solid stuff!

• Like 1

For something totally different. I saw The MSU Wind Symphony do this about a month ago in a live concert they streamed. This is from a couple of years ago and just as compelling....Keven Sedatole is a marvelous conductor and does a fantastic job getting these musicians ready

1 hour ago, pfife said:

Someone mentioned Weather Report on twitter, and it reminded me of the dopest song we played in high school jazz band...

probably the first 'fusion' album I bought.

Zawinul was a classical pianist -- about until he lost his hair.....:classic_laugh:

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Haha 1

No way.

It's between the Beatles and Zep, depending on mood. 

On some days it's the Beatles. On others Led Zeppelin.

The Stones have some really classic songs that are must-listen-to. But so do the Beatles & Zep and to me I listen to almost everything from my top two. I have a 100 favorite Zep songs and 150 favorite Beatles songs... Maybe not that many, but something like that...

Dylan? Nice songwriter... but I don't really listen to him, at all. Not zero, but close to it.

There are way too many other interesting bands, and way way way more interesting (not even close) than Bob Dylan, even from the same era: The Velvet Underground, Hendrix, The Doors, The Who, Cream, The Small Faces... I'd rather listen to The Yardbirds as well... It's a long, long, long list before I get to Bob Dylan.

But that's just me.

Beatles and Zep are too much apples and oranges to even try to compare. Beatles were song writers first and foremost. For Zep the 'songs' were really pretty secondary - they were just the scaffolds to hang their sound painting on. But jf you asked me which I would miss more if I could never hear a track again, it would be Zeppelin. But in part that's probably because of how old I am. I wasn't quite old enough for the Beatles music to mean as much to me when I first heard it as Zeppelin's did. Heck, to my HS cohort, the second side of Abbey Road was definitely a statement the Beatles could play in the album rock genre if they put their mind to it, but to us they were playing catch-up to what we were already listening to on WABX.  So there is no way to separate that personal history from an 'objective' analysis. But that said, I listen to a lot more classical music than either today.

That's why I said mood...

To hear pop greatness (songwriting and clever musical hooks); it's Beatles without peers.

To straight up rock, that's Zeppelin. 

I was born in 1964 and didn't really begin to appreciate music until I was around 12. 

They were both essentially before my time.

But the Beatles swamped the airwaves, as did Zeppelin. 

When comparing apples with oranges... It depends on whether you feel like eating an apple at the moment...

or an orange.

the other thing with the Beatles if you are just my age was that pretty much except for side 2 of Abby Road, their celebrity had eclipsed their music. Nobody thought Rocky Racoon was great music, but we did spend hours taping the White Album anyway so we could play it backwards trying to solve the deeper mysteries of existence, or Paul's lack thereof.....