What Are You Listening To?

mtutiger

1 hour ago, Biff Mayhem said:

I'm hoping this doesn't get political.

That said, isn't the listening audience of Young, Mitchell and other dinosaurs basically people eligible for AARP who use FM Radio as their main source of listening to music?

I also saw where Young was complaining about the low audio quality of Spotify so maybe this is valid to him but it sounds like an excuse.

Say what you will about Rogan, if he remains on Spotify he will be the most listened to podcaster on the planet. If he is booted off Spotify, he will be the most listened to podcaster and will probably have a very nice breach of contract lawsuit with Spotify.

I won't be surprised if both parties just ride it out because of the short attention span of the average person.

Neil's been battling Spotify for years.............Neil has been battling mp3s in general for years. 

Most people don't have musician's ears and don't care, they just want something to sing or dance along to.

• Like 1

Surprisingly, 19% of Spotify's customers are over 55.  I'm not one of them.  As for Neil and Joni I am not a particular fan of either.  I think that the damage to Spotify will not come from losing fans of Neil and Joni, it will come from the publicity that this will generate about musicians in general being extremely unhappy with their share of the revenue.

44 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

I think that the damage to Spotify will.....come from the publicity that this will generate about musicians in general being extremely unhappy with their share of the revenue.

I do know that the royalties etc from Spotify made headlines a few years ago and I think most people didn't care. We can check back in 6 months but I am confident in saying that they'll rebound fully and people will be on to the next thing.

12 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

I do know that the royalties etc from Spotify made headlines a few years ago and I think most people didn't care. We can check back in 6 months but I am confident in saying that they'll rebound fully and people will be on to the next thing.

It depends how how much the artists band together.   Neil and Joni can call their shot.   Some indie band trying to build a fanbase can't make that call.  they can complain but their record label will want the exposure.    It's truly about the royalties.  Neil and Joni don't need them anymore,   a band like Lunar Vacation or Big Thief need more ears to hear them so they can sell some tickets to a live show.   

This is an absolutely brilliant spoof on Rogan's show.  It may only make sense if you've listened to him.  For some reason they just play music for first 2 minutes.  My friend and I listened together last night and were texting back and forth.  

They nail it so well.  It's not SNL where the jokes are obvious but if you have listened to his podcast you will get it... basically say a bunch of words for 3 minutes but don't really say anything...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

I haven't listened to music radio in about 25 years. Don't listen to Spotify, occasionally  Pandora.

I'm a Boomer

I'm also one.  I bought a new car in November of 2020, so I took my CD's out of the old car (including the one in the player!) and moved them to the new car.  I then selected one, held it up to the dashboard and...no CD player.  So I have a few hours of my 60's/70's stuff on a USB.  I'm thinking about a streaming service, but I only listen to music when I am in the car, which isn't very often these days.

23 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

I'm also one.  I bought a new car in November of 2020, so I took my CD's out of the old car (including the one in the player!) and moved them to the new car.  I then selected one, held it up to the dashboard and...no CD player.  So I have a few hours of my 60's/70's stuff on a USB.  I'm thinking about a streaming service, but I only listen to music when I am in the car, which isn't very often these days.

Plus you're listening to what they are streaming which may, or may not be, exactly what you would like to listen to. I like my USB because there are no commercials and the playlist is MY Play List with ONLY the songs that I like on it. Not "extra" or "sort-of-related" songs that I never heard before and don't really like... but exactly what I want to hear.

I just bought a set of 8 USB's (8 gigs each) which hold I think roughly 1,200 songs at the high quality MP3 rate (320K/S); more songs at the lower rates... I'll have sticks for: (A) Compleat Beatles Compilation, (B) Alt Jazz, (C) Alt Christmas, (D) Trip Hop & Related, (E) Alt Country, (F) World Music, (G) Alt '80's, (F) Rock n Roll, (G) Alt EZ Listening.

I'll come up with a mix for the 8th USB... 

My kids would play Post Malone and he was one of the best of what they listen to.  That's not high praise.  As he's done some covers, I'm not sure if he just loves experimenting or if this is a targeted marketing ploy to open me up to him more, but I will say this, I will pay attention to his next album.

On the Spotify/Neil Young thing, I don't want to get political, so i'll keep it quick.  I'm glad he's directing people away from long form interviews like Joe Rogan and over to Amazon for his music.  Amazon is the epitome of American greatness and everything I think of when I listen to Neil Young lyrics.  There is a part of me that is a little upset that he's fine with having his music on a platform that is cool with Chris Brown and R. Kelly, but then I think about it, and what old school rocker hasn't nailed an underage girl or beat the crap out of a girlfriend.  Need to take into account his age and give him a pass.

5 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Stone Me is off Margo's 2020 album That's How Rumors Get Started, which I think is a terrific album. Stone Me is my favorite cut off the album.

I'm 'meh' with this album.  Her debut album was really good, the follow up was decent.  Check out her leading the band Buffalo Clover, that was fantastic.

Edited by ewsieg
  • Like 1

I've spent a number of the past few years trying to avoid listening to 90s tunes, it's my era and I oversaturated it.   I saw The Eric Alper tweet something like "Wanna feel good?  Listen to one of your favorite records from when you were a teenager".

So I am.

Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation

these guys are about as much of an acquired taste as you can get honestly but if you like that taste, they're really awesome.

Music...even certain noises or sounds that you maybe were not even aware were in the background during certain times of your life will almost always trigger a response to feel how or what you were feeling when you heard it.

I do not know the exact physiology behind it, but your brain must be going through a dramatic change when you hit puberty because 99% of the population will tell you the music when they were younger is the best music.  All those experiences of becoming a man or a woman along with whatever other changes are going on in your body just make you more susceptible to that dopamine.

I wonder if they did the research (which I am sure it out there somewhere) what that age is in the majority of people...I would assume 13-14.  For me I think it is a range from 13-15.

2 hours ago, pfife said:

I've spent a number of the past few years trying to avoid listening to 90s tunes, it's my era and I oversaturated it.   I saw The Eric Alper tweet something like "Wanna feel good?  Listen to one of your favorite records from when you were a teenager".

In that case, I'll listen to Devil Without a Cause by Kid. I must have played Only God Knows Why, Cowboy, and Bawitdaba 10,000 times each in high school. Only God Knows Why is still a great album cut though.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad
  • Like 1

I was a teenager from 1986-1993.....

But to me a teenager is really the years 13-16 ish.  After that when driving you become more of an adult, more likely working a part time job, etc.

My favorites that brief time period that gets me on a nostalgia push are Motley Crue (Theater of Pain), Beastie Boys (License to Ill), Run DMC (Raising Hell) , Metallica (And Justice For All) , and Iron Maiden (Somewhere in Time and Seventh Son).  Those are tapes I wore out.  

Of course in our era music was also something you watched.  I have more memories of watching Tom Petty videos rather than listening.  If you knew a video was on all the time then I wouldn't feel the need to buy the tape. MTV was always on.

If I have to go back to my teenage years....

Tommy James

The Rascals

Otis Redding

Percy Sledge

Oh yea, the Stones and 4 guys from Liverpool

Actually I've been thinking about this lately. If I had to put together a playlist for a nursing home.....

Edited by CMRivdogs

9 hours ago, pfife said:

... Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation

these guys are about as much of an acquired taste as you can get honestly but if you like that taste, they're really awesome.

I like Incinerate, Teen Age Riot and Bull in Heather.

But normally not my cup of tea.

I have a preference for The Pixies, the Ministry, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Nirvana from roughly the same era...

Oh... and also the Violent Femmes and Throwing Muse...

Edited by 1984Echoes

• 2 weeks later...