What Are You Listening To?

mtutiger

On 11/6/2021 at 7:27 AM, Cruzer1 said:

Badlands...

Keeping with the flow of young girls/70's. Great movie, and Sheen/Spacek are great.

Electric performances by both of them

And of course Springsteen turned the movie into the title song of his Nebraska album.

"I saw her standing on her front lawn, just a twirling, her baton ..."

• Like 1

It's actually a shame that they are the "Boys Are Back In Town" band when they have so many other great songs. Even the spin off Black Star Riders is fantastic. Still, Burr's take on it is hilarious. I'd like to hear his breakdown of Jailbreak.

Scotty Gorham is such a great guitarist who was often overshadowed by Gary Moore and John Sykes.

I heard that George Lynch was back with Dokken on a few stops on the tour so decided to take a listen to one of my favorites from one the recent concerts "Heaven Sent" and George sounded great...Don was basically talking the lyrics though...it was pretty brutal.  I was actually going to check out tickets to a show that was as close to us as possible before he started talking the lyrics.  I do not want to see that.  And George was probably my favorite guitarist from that era of rock, maybe even more so that Eddie.

If they end up playing Detroit I MAY grab some tickets, but I think the closest was Ohio.  

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, pfife said:

David Bowie, space oddity

Crazy it's made in 1969.

So he made this album in 2001 of re-done versions songs he wrote before Space Oddity.    It's called Toy.   His record company rejected it.   About 10 years later much of it leaked (Bowie himself leaked it) and it is part of a box set.   It's a great album.  Why they rejected it, I don't know.    Record companies also told Ben Folds that he couldn't do a solo piano tour, it would kill is career.     They also told Sarah McLachlan putting a festival tour together with all female artists would end her career.  She made millions off it.     

Toy gets a stand-alone release the day before what would have been Bowie's 75th birthday, January 7th, 2022. 

Creepy cover, though.  

David Bowie - Toy.png

• Like 1

Neil Young used to fight with his label.  He did the Trans album with the computerized voice and electronic stuff.   Label rejected it.  He left the label.   Weird album, no hits, but he's freaking Neil Young.  Geffen signed him and let him release it. He came back and gave them real Neil Young albums after that.   He wanted to make a Kraftwerk album.  Dude's a legend, leave him alone. 

On 12/26/2021 at 1:54 AM, pfife said:

Saw her on snl earlier this evening... uh she was incredible 

She's an incredibly talented singer and songwriter. There isn't much she has done that I don't like. You tell people you listen to country music and they assume you listen to the bro country BS on FM radio with repetitive songs about tailgates, trucks, and Coors Lite from the same cadre of terrible artists like Luke Bryan, Jason Aldean, Florida Georgia-Line, etc. I want people to understand, appreciate, and support artists like Brandi who are putting in the effort to put out good music like she has been for over a decade.

On 12/27/2021 at 4:20 PM, Mr.TaterSalad said:

She's an incredibly talented singer and songwriter. There isn't much she has done that I don't like. You tell people you listen to country music and they assume you listen to the bro country BS on FM radio with repetitive songs about tailgates, trucks, and Coors Lite from the same cadre of terrible artists like Luke Bryan, Jason Aldean, Florida Georgia-Line, etc. I want people to understand, appreciate, and support artists like Brandi who are putting in the effort to put out good music like she has been for over a decade.

I'm thrilled for her.   Back when she was getting started she would come by our station whenever they were touring.  She'd always have Phil & Tim and they're all still together to this day.   Extremely nice people.  

My Under The Radar Radio Picks Of The Year for 2021 

(In other words, stuff I liked for the show but nobody else probably likes)

1. GOAT GIRL - On All Fours

2. ARLO PARKS - Collapsed In Sunbeams

3. ZOLAS - Come Back To Life

4. PARQUET COURTS - Sympathy For Life

5. KINGS OF CONVENIENCE - Peace Or Love

6. GEESE - Projector

7. SNAIL MAIL - Valentine

8. THE HOLD STEADY - Open Door Policy

9. INHALER - It Won't Always Be Like This   

10. POND - 9  

Honorable Mention to Lindsey Buckingham's self-titled album, which didn't really fit our general format, but it's a great album.  

Under The Radar Radio can be heard Sunday nights at 7pm on Ann Arbor's 107one (annarbors107one.com) and The Q-94-5 in Grand Rapids (thisisqmusic.com) and if you're in New Zealand you can hear it on 107.5 AndHow.fm (I can't remember what time it airs when you translate it to our time, probably in the middle of the night).  

Edited by Motor City Sonics

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/12/17/fox-producer-who-got-the-nfl-to-jam

You guys know I am into jam bands and yesterday people were noticing the bumper music for the Fox NFL games.... and here's a year old article that talks with the producer who is responsible.  I think it's great because many of these bands rely on word of mouth and this kind of thing is very exciting and has a direct impact to their quality of life. They tour because now that's the only real way to make a living in the business.

I get excited when I hear some of these bands show up in commercials, in movies, etc.