What Are You Listening To?

mtutiger

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2021/10/18/paul-mccartney-doesnt-really-want-to-stop-the-show

McCartney waves away such high-flown talk, but he isn’t above suggesting that the Beatles worked from a broader range of musical languages than their peers—not least the Rolling Stones. “I’m not sure I should say it, but they’re a blues cover band, that’s sort of what the Stones are,” he told me. “I think our net was cast a bit wider than theirs.”

This is a great profile on McCartney, but having worked through some of the Stones catalog more extensively recently, I'm not sure this is accurate past 1966 or so.

Speaking of the Stones ...

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/oct/13/rolling-stones-drop-insensitive-brown-sugar-from-us-tour-setlist

Rolling Stones drop ‘insensitive’ Brown Sugar song from US tour setlist
1971 hit condemned by critics as ‘prime example of entitlement’ but Mick Jagger says it could return

My personal opinion would be to definitely keep the song in the setlist, unless the band and fans felt it stale. Not because its lyrics might be dated and offensive. 

I'm really gonna miss that lead singer from Smash Mouth..................said no one, ever.   

(sorry if you happen to like them but they are maybe the worst band I've ever played in my radio career which goes back to 1987)   Smash Mouth & Sugar Ray, in large part, killed the Alternative format. 

Edited by Motor City Sonics

On 10/14/2021 at 8:51 AM, lordstanley said:

Speaking of the Stones ...

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/oct/13/rolling-stones-drop-insensitive-brown-sugar-from-us-tour-setlist

Rolling Stones drop ‘insensitive’ Brown Sugar song from US tour setlist
1971 hit condemned by critics as ‘prime example of entitlement’ but Mick Jagger says it could return

My personal opinion would be to definitely keep the song in the setlist, unless the band and fans felt it stale. Not because its lyrics might be dated and offensive. 

I was at the Stones show in 2019 when they played the song, and I was a little surprised at that moment that they played it.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I was at the Stones show in 2019 when they played the song, and I was a little surprised at that moment that they played it.

I think they have a song about a 14 year old girl too, dont they.

Seger does:

[Verse 1]
Now Louise she is an outlaw
In the year of seventy one
She's got Levi bells and long straight hair
She's got a Delta hypo gun
Her folks they didn't understand why she
Couldn't get her homework done (Mmm)
Her father is a preacher
Her mother's an ex-nun

[Verse 2]
Now Louise she likes to boogie
Down at the old ballroom
She's got a crazy hophead boyfriend
Digs freon balloon
They ride on his Harley from the morning
'Til the late afternoon (Oh yeah)
They get stoned in the evening
And make love beneath the moon

[Verse 3]
Now the old folks who are listenin'
Prob'ly think this song's obscene
Say your children aren't like that
Say my words are way off theme
Well Louise she's just an average
Product of the American dream (Ah yeah)
I concede she's kind of naive but (Uh)
After all she's only thirteen (Oh yeah)

Edited by lordstanley

• 3 weeks later...

Hard to believe it's been over a year since we lost the incredible Justin Townes-Earle. I've been diving deep into his catalogue of music a lot lately. The songwriter every songwriter should strive to be. The guys candle burned out too early but if the music he wrote was any judge, it burned bright as hell when he was here.

On 10/15/2021 at 4:21 PM, lordstanley said:

I think they have a song about a 14 year old girl too, dont they.

Seger does:

[Verse 1]
Now Louise she is an outlaw
In the year of seventy one
She's got Levi bells and long straight hair
She's got a Delta hypo gun
Her folks they didn't understand why she
Couldn't get her homework done (Mmm)
Her father is a preacher
Her mother's an ex-nun

[Verse 2]
Now Louise she likes to boogie
Down at the old ballroom
She's got a crazy hophead boyfriend
Digs freon balloon
They ride on his Harley from the morning
'Til the late afternoon (Oh yeah)
They get stoned in the evening
And make love beneath the moon

[Verse 3]
Now the old folks who are listenin'
Prob'ly think this song's obscene
Say your children aren't like that
Say my words are way off theme
Well Louise she's just an average
Product of the American dream (Ah yeah)
I concede she's kind of naive but (Uh)
After all she's only thirteen (Oh yeah)

Young teens are so much a Bob Seger obsession that he took the song "Queenie", which Chuck Berry wrote about a seventeen-year-old, and made it about a thirteen-year-old.

I wonder whether Seger hung out with Nugent ...

29 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Young teens are so much a Bob Seger obsession that he took the song "Queenie", which Chuck Berry wrote about a seventeen-year-old, and made it about a thirteen-year-old.

I wonder whether Seger hung out with Nugent ...

Funny you bring that up.  Listened to live bullet a lot 30 years ago and it came up on my playlist so I listened to the album again. Heard that and was shocked that I never gave it much thought back in the day. 

2 hours ago, oblong said:

Funny you bring that up.  Listened to live bullet a lot 30 years ago and it came up on my playlist so I listened to the album again. Heard that and was shocked that I never gave it much thought back in the day. 

No one thought much about it at the time. The depiction of minor teens was highly sexualized in the 70s in a way that would absolutely shock anyone who didn’t live through it, and a lot of people who did. Remember “Catholic High School Girls in Trouble”? Just try pulling off something like that in a movie or on TV today. 

14 hours ago, oblong said:

Same with. “She looked 18” jokes.  

Here's a snippet from a Cheech and Chong, bit called "White World of Sports", the cut that preceded "Basketball Jones" on their Los Cochinos album from 1973:

REPORTER: ... I'm Red Blazer and we're here courtside with the coach of the Bloods. Coach, let's talk about your record.
COACH: My record?!
RED: That's right.
COACH: The hell you wanna bring that up for, man?! I thought you wanted to talk about basketball, manI Now, I did my time, man, I paid my debt to society, man! I don't need to be talking about my record, man! How the hell did I know she was 13?!
RED: No, no, no, coach, I meant ...
COACH: Hell, she looked 15, anyway!
RED: No, coach, what we meant was your won-loss record! Now, you're the winningest coach in the history of high school basketball ...

On 10/15/2021 at 3:31 PM, chasfh said:

I want to say I heard via Gary Graff that Jagger/Stones are just tired of defending it as it was written as an anti-slavery song, but the upbeat aspect, combined with some of the lyrics pointed out, doesn't give that feeling.  I guess you could think of it sorta like 'Born in the USA' which there are still folks out there jamming it on the 4th of July.  

On 11/4/2021 at 7:43 PM, oblong said:

Same with. “She looked 18” jokes.  

A couple more, from ‘70s movies I saw just from the past couple of days, then I’ll leave this alone:

• In Animal House, Larry gets drunk with and fools around with the supermarket checkout girl/mayor’s daughter. We see her bare breasts and there’s the famous devil/angel scene on his shoulders. Later before they’re about to “do it” on the football field, she says she has a secret: she’s only 13. The movie doesn’t show anything, but in a later scene, they approach her father the mayor and declare that they’ll have to get married.
  • In Arthur, the hooker at the beginning of the movie reveals that she became one in part because her father raped her when she was 12. This is a comedy, of course, so Arthur cracks jokes about this. They later have sex, he pays her to leave, then they move on to the next scene.

If you were to immerse yourself in enough entertainment from the early 1970s-early 1980s period, you would inadvertently stumble across hundreds of examples of this kind of imagery. It was just a weird detour from basic decency in our cultural history.

Edited by chasfh

Times change. Views change. Sometimes the law is a little slower?

Within the United States, each state, territory and federal district sets the marriage age in its jurisdiction. As of July 1, 2019, in 13 states there was no statutory minimum age when all exemptions were taken into account. These states were California, Idaho, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, Washington, West Virginia, and Wyoming.[2]

As of July 2021, six states have banned underage marriages, with no exception: New Jersey (2018),[3] Delaware (2018),[4] Pennsylvania (2020),[5] Minnesota (2020)[6] Rhode Island (2021)[7] and New York (2021).[8] American Samoa and the U.S. Virgin Islands, United States territories, have also ended child marriage in that time.[9][10] Several other U.S. states have similar legislation pending.[11]

Between 2000 and 2015, over 200,000 minors were legally married in the United States,[12] or roughly six children per thousand.[13] The vast majority of child marriages in the U.S. were between a minor girl and an adult man.[12][14][15] In many cases, minors in the U.S. may be married when they are under the age of sexual consent, which varies from 16 to 18 depending on the state.[16] In some states minors cannot legally divorce or leave their spouse, and domestic violence shelters typically do not accept minors.[17][18]

Historically, child marriage has been a culturally acceptable practice, but today it is increasingly viewed as a form of child sexual abuse.

Wikipedia

Edited by gehringer_2

27 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Times change. Views change. Sometimes the law is a little slower?

Wikipedia

There are marriage laws, and then there are age of consent laws. I seem to remember a movement in the late 1970s where some legislators in New Jersey wanted to lower the age of consent to 13? I probably read that in the Free Press which is where I got all my news at the time. I don’t think it ever went through, but as a teenager myself at the time, I remember feeling creeped out by it.