What Are You Listening To?

mtutiger

On 4/7/2022 at 4:42 PM, antrat said:

Brandi Carlile is an American treasure.

Her album "In These Silent Days" should have won everything at the Grammys.

Dude my wife thinks I am weird because I like her so much. She thinks I’m obsessed.  I follow her on social media. “Look it’s Brandi and her wife and their kids getting ice cream”

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

If you listen to nothing else today, try, if you can, to take this in. What an amazing composition.

almost puts me in mind of a b side jam from a late 60's acid rock album but with more 8 bar structure....:classic_laugh:

Edited by gehringer_2

• 2 weeks later...

There is a band that has release 3 albums since 2019 and all 3 have been fantastic and for me (just for me now), the last time a band came out blistering with 3 great albums was the Pretenders.    They are Fontaines D.C. out of Ireland.  Going to see them next Thursday and they will be Pick Of The Week on Under The Radar Radio this coming Sunday.  

Hands down, Naomi and Wynonna Judd, The Judds, were one of the best duos in not only country music, but music as a whole. Country artists often get pigeonholed and stereotyped because of the amount of people that don't like the genre. But Naomi and Wynonna Judd were up there with the best of them, in any genre. RIP to Naomi Judd. While the news isn't out there, it is speculated that Naomi committed suicide after a long battle with mental illness.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

On 3/21/2022 at 10:28 AM, mtutiger said:

The way I would characterize The Beatles is that they were very good (and often excelled) at everything they did, often innovating new forms of music along the way (ie. Helter Skelter with hard rock), but ultimately they were never the best at anything they did.

Hardcore Beatles fans may think that's disparaging but it really isn't.... their range in sounds is what puts them damn near the top IMO and was something unmatched by any other band. But if I want to hear a bluesy rock song and am given a choice between "Yer Blues" and "Since I've Been Loving You".... it's really no contest, sorry. 

I actually meant to make a comment on this awhile back but forgot to get back to it. So here goes:

I agree that they are not the best at some specific genres in rock, including psychedelia, hard rock, blues, etc...

However... I think that they ARE the best at one form of rock: Pop (some call it Top 40...). They are the best Pop band of all time, and probably specifically because of what you mentioned: that they could incorporate any sound form into a workable pop tune. I also think their incredible voices, song-writing, cohesion, rhythm, prolific body of work, experimentation, etc... makes them the best.

But just at POP. Not the blues, psychedelia, hard rock, or any related genre. Just pop.

On 3/21/2022 at 9:29 AM, gehringer_2 said:

right, the Beatles were a primary vehicle by which the youth wrested command of  culture from their parents. Sociologically that was huge, but that doesn't mean I want to be stranded on a desert island with "I Want to Hold Your Hand" !   :classic_happy:

Well...

That's just a low blow!

On a serious note: starting from Help! and Rubber Soul, their music became nuanced or layered enough to... not be any more of those "Love Me Do" level pop tunes. At least it was serious enough to hold my interest...

5 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Well...

That's just a low blow!

On a serious note: starting from Help! and Rubber Soul, their music became nuanced or layered enough to... not be any more of those "Love Me Do" level pop tunes. At least it was serious enough to hold my interest...

LOL - For me there was as sweet spot  - as you note - maybe Rubber Soul and leading up to AbbyRoad (though the 'white' album was very uneven) when they did their best stuff, and there is some stuff I really like. But the thing for me is that it is more in retrospect. By the time the Beatles did their best stuff I was listening mostly to FM rock album sides and discovering classical music so it had less impact to me. Things were evolving really fast in that period. I love hearing "I Feel Fine" today, but that's not what I was listening to that much when it came out so the attachment isn't there with the Beatles to me.

4 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

LOL - For me there was as sweet spot  - as you note - maybe Rubber Soul and leading up to AbbyRoad (though the 'white' album was very uneven) when they did their best stuff, and there is some stuff I really like. But the thing for me is that it is more in retrospect. By the time the Beatles did their best stuff I was listening mostly to FM rock album sides and discovering classical music so it had less impact to me. Things were evolving really fast in that period. I love hearing "I Feel Fine" today, but that's not what I was listening to that much when it came out so the attachment isn't there with the Beatles to me.

Well...

I was only 6 when they broke up so they were actually before my time too... 

But, funny story(s):

I'm at Grandma's house for July 4th celebration, 1971 (anyone know where South Lyon is...?). My 2nd youngest Uncle (9 years older than me, youngest Uncle is 8 years older... so I'm 7, he's 16) has his bedroom in Grandma's basement and all us little kids would sometimes hang out down there, goofing off or tearing things up.

So I look up at Uncle Ken and ask: "Who is this?" His eyes go wide, as if I were from some other planet: "It's Uncle Albert/ Admiral Halsey, by Paul McCartney."

I gave him a completely blank stare. Now, mind you, my Dad listens to nothing but shit music. Whatever is the WORST possible music that could be listened to, in any day and age, is what he was/ still is listening to. I had no idea who Paul McCartney, or the Beatles were.

Uncle Ken looked at me with his hands spread wide, his jaw dropped to the floor and his head shaking left & right, and without saying "WTF? Are you fucking KIDDING me? What freaking PLANET are you FROM?!?!"... he simply says: "The Beatles?" As if it were an incredulous question of sanity instead of a factual statement. But it was both.

So, on July 4th, 1971: I fell in love with the Beatles. Yes, even Paul McCartney too. I still get knocked over with warm sweet memories when I hear Uncle Albert/ Admiral Halsey. I fell in love with Rock n Roll that day, and learned what music really was, and have never lost my love of music. 

And yes, growing up in Detroit as a kid it was WRIF-Rock and Led Zep, Yes, Rush, Stones, etc., etc., etc.... and even the Beatles too. But I also grew up appreciating Motown, R&B, a lot of Beatles, a little bit of Funk, the Blues, etc. etc. etc...

3 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

So, on July 4th, 1971: I fell in love with the Beatles. Yes, even Paul McCartney too. I still get knocked over with warm sweet memories when I hear Uncle Albert/ Admiral Halsey. I fell in love with Rock n Roll that day, and learned what music really was, and have never lost my love of music. 

Our esteemed friend Ed Goldsworthy used to like to say that the only good McCartney solo song was "Maybe I'm Amazed". Knowing his style of online interaction, I never really was sure if he was being serious or cantankerous (as he was wont to be on occasion).

I always really enjoyed the Paul solo stuff much more than the other three.

I like his pop sensibilities and... when he was with the Beatles it was mixed with John's protest or anti-establishment tendencies to create a great mix.

Solo all the pop came out in full.

Not as good as the Beatles but I still like Jet, Let 'em In, and many others; and I even like his 1st solo album which was intensely acoustic (not exactly accepted at the time but I've always loved acoustic, today and always). 

But I like John Lennon's solo work as well... for different reasons (the anti-establishment side of me loves his protest solo work...).

I think Paul McCartney gets dinged because he kinda/sorta embraced disco a little bit.  Coming off of Silly Love Songs he did songs like Goodnight Tonight and Coming Up,  trying to stay "current" and I think there was some resentment there that clouded all of his solo work.    Even the best makes mistakes once in awhile.